The Danpodcast - 2018 Kickoff!!!

Thanks for the explanation why the districts are starting sooner.   I was wondering how they were getting around late August mandate.

Years ago Plano started school the 1st week in August.  Then the mandate came out that they couldn't start until the 3rd or 4th week of August.   It just totally
messed up the whole semester calendar for Plano.  My kids were young then so I didn't understand what the big hoopla was because I was just happy not to have my 
kids start on August 4th anymore :)      I think the reason they moved it back had a lot to do with tourism, high school kids having jobs, and people just still on summer vacation, LOL. 

Plano starts Aug 13th this year, I guess they applied for District of Innovation....    I hate they start early again.  Guess when I took the survey to say "No", I was out voted.     

Side note...  are you saying there were no good Mexican  restaurants in Plano/Frisco area?   You must have not went to the right places     :P     

Thanks for the explanation why the districts are starting sooner.   I was wondering how they were getting around late August mandate.

Side note...  are you saying there were no good Mexican  restaurants in Plano/Frisco area?   You must have not went to the right places     :P     

Nearly every DOI (District of Innovation) plan that I read had the balance of semester days as the main reason for adjusting school start dates.  Those dates can be changed on a yearly basis.

There were a FEW places in the area.  On The Border, while not exactly popular, has always been dear to me!  

There were a FEW places in the area. On The Border, while not exactly popular, has always been dear to me!

I like On The Border, it just depends on my mood which restaurant I go to! My daughter worked for a family owned Mexican restaurant called Chito's... very good if you ever find yourself back in Plano/Frisci area!

Happy you were able to move home.. it's good to be near family. I've tried to move Home for many years but don't think it will ever happen.

I like On The Border, it just depends on my mood which restaurant I go to! My daughter worked for a family owned Mexican restaurant called Chito's... very good if you ever find yourself back in Plano/Frisci area!

Happy you were able to move home.. it's good to be near family. I've tried to move Home for many years but don't think it will ever happen.

I remember passing that place when I would head to the Alamo Drafthouse!  I am very thankful to be back home :)

One comment: last year Conroe ISD started early - first day in 2017 was August 16th. So we (TWHS, College Park, Oak Ridge, Conroe) dealt with this early start date last year too. Will that experience help? No idea...

Coooooool!  At the very least, the students will kind of know what to expect.  That should help keep the distractions down for the first few schools days of rehearsal when everyone is running around like a chicken.  Mmmm chicken.  

Do you think this early school start time is the cause of some bands practicing 2am to 330 pm?

That seems pretty early to be having rehearsal, unless it is part of some team building exercise like one of those church lock-ins.  Everyone is adjusting to the new rehearsal guidelines in their own way.  The goal is to put the band in the best possible position to succeed.  That can mean different things to different groups.

Just looked further in to this.  Seven Lakes has a football game vs. Memorial H.S. on 8/30 at 7:00 PM.  On this calendar, it is listed as 2:00 PM.  For whatever reason, the calendar on the Seven Lakes website is five hours behind.  Seven Lakes is NOT having rehearsals at 2:30 AM :)

Enjoy the rest and have a great season, Spartan Band!!

Just looked further in to this. Seven Lakes has a football game vs. Memorial H.S. on 8/30 at 7:00 PM. On this calendar, it is listed as 2:00 PM. For whatever reason, the calendar on the Seven Lakes website is five hours behind. Seven Lakes is NOT having rehearsals at 2:30 AM :)

Enjoy the rest and have a great season, Spartan Band!!

haha, I knew that simply could NOT be true! But I bet some parents were fooled at first. :D

haha, I knew that simply could NOT be true! But I bet some parents were fooled at first. :D

If my kid had band rehearsal at 2:30 AM, I would still take them but they would be informed that their Christmas and Birthday presents would be combined.