2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I haven’t heard many people talking about Reagan. I didn’t get to see their show yesterday. Did they have a bad run or are people just too excited about today’s bands?

I thought they were on fire yesterday. More closer to 2015 than 2016 in terms of design and performance but I don't think they'll medal.

I think we have established that Avon is. Not. Winning. This. Competition. Ever.

I don’t know dude... I think the judges will find a way to put them in the top 3 even though I think that would be absurd. It just always seems to happen. I idolize Mat Harloff and his teaching skills, but this isn’t crown, and Non-Texas bands just don’t do it for me. The visual might be great, but the music is no match. Though in the end just like Carmel they will find a way to place well.

Prelims results will be very different from finals. Very different. I don’t see anyone except FloMo winning prelims, maybe Hebron or CTJ but then again I did not see CTJ. I do think FloMo’s show is just a little bit under the effect of last years but I personally do not think anyone has the same level of design, but you can’t forget the cleanliness and absolutely mastery of music from Hebron. Man, this is crazy. Looks like we’re about to find out!

My thoughts after prelims:

I think Avon took visual. They're extraordinary- it's awesome to have them come down to Texas!

Hebron and Flomo will be battling it out for music, but I think Hebron has it. That opener is just non stop runs back and forth between WW and brass. just WOW!

For GE, i don't know. It's so hard to tell what the judges see as GE and what they don't. Flomo and CTJ will probably be looking to take it.

I don't know if Bell is going to make finals. I didn't watch their run, but it seems like it was a little rough, and their EARLY timeslot doesn't help either. We'll see though! It's just too hard to predict at this point.

And some other random notes...

Flomo's ballad is just gorgeous. Those two amazing soloists just absolutely play the heck out of their instruments. And the COLOR! WOW. One of the most effective uses of "bodysuit" type uniforms IMO, across drum corps and marching band. It just works so so well. And on top of all that, the entire ensemble is doing amazing bodywork and playing fabulously. Definitely one of my favorite moments this season.

Hendrickson's show is so, so smart. Such a mature concept overall, and the kids performed it so maturely. I can DEFINITELY see them making finals!

Coppell is a total sleeper this year. They started out pretty rough at Southlake, but their run this morning sounded and looked like a completely different band! Including new uniforms!! Their "jam out" session during the Fascinating Rhythm section was also just the most fun thing I've seen in a marching band in a long time. The kids are LOVING it too. Individual performance and energy was fantastic. Not a finalist on my sheet, but if there was a "MOST FUN" award they would win it by a LANDSLIDE.

Watching Hebron is indescribable, really. I remember my high school days, when I was at a big Texas school surrounded by talented players, but I don't know if ANY of us could achieve musical excellence at the level that the entire ensemble of Hebron has. Bravo. ALSO: Love love love Vitae Aeternum. 

Avon's closer is still my favorite of the year. I honestly hadn't listened to much Maslanka before I saw their show, and I think my life is complete honestly. But yeah, that closer is just monstrously "balls-to-the-wall" (i'm hilarious), and the whole show has an amazing theme, too. AVON: THANKS FOR COMING TO TEXAS!!!

Flower Mound is very...loud. Like my ears hurt after their performance. I'm not quite sure if thats good or bad, but to me it feels like they're playing forte+ for 90% of the show. Love the change to the preshow and the new hats.

Looks like they're mic-ing the whole field, unfortunately. UGH, I hate this trend.