Favorite shows so far this year

Oh, and adding another to the list.  Glenda Dawson's "Sound of Silence".....love the Flute work on the main theme from that show.

was very impressed by Cy Fair this year

remind me of SFA and Colleyville's shows?  :o might have missed them and can't find any recap/performance

Colleyville Heritage was titled "In the Clouds" and had the Final Fantasy music.  The Prelude to Final Fantasy, Aerith's Theme (from VII) and another piece I couldn't place from XII along with some other tunes I can't remember.

SFA - They did a show with lots of Rhapsody in Blue (starts with the infamous Clarinet solo).  Can't remember the actual title from Area (I always end up sitting next to the parent groups that completely flip out for 30 straight seconds right into your ear while the announcer is announcing the show).  No real staging element/props but the Angels donned banana colored dance dresses which they wield almost like flags.

Oh, and adding another to the list.  Glenda Dawson's "Sound of Silence".....love the Flute work on the main theme from that show.

Colleyville Heritage was titled "In the Clouds" and had the Final Fantasy music.  The Prelude to Final Fantasy, Aerith's Theme (from VII) and another piece I couldn't place from XII along with some other tunes I can't remember.

SFA - They did a show with lots of Rhapsody in Blue (starts with the infamous Clarinet solo).  Can't remember the actual title from Area (I always end up sitting next to the parent groups that completely flip out for 30 straight seconds right into your ear while the announcer is announcing the show).  No real staging element/props but the Angels donned banana colored dance dresses which they wield almost like flags.

SFA's show was "Summertime" I feel like they fit their theme really well

Post-Gnats

-Tarpon's visual was amazing, they should have won that caption at GN

-CTJ's energy was INSANE at GN finals

-Hendrickson's trombones

-Reagan's ballad

-Leander's show design in general

-Flower Mound

-Carmel's fast moments and tuba feature (not the biggest fan of the slow parts)

-St. James

-William Mason

Those are the ones I can think of atm of what I got to see

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone keeps talking about the big named bands and their shows. but sometimes bands that arent as well known as the Hebron's and Flower Mound's put out just as intriguing shows, and I think we could all appreciate that :)

Cy Fair "Deja Vu"- Interesting concepts. The muted trumpets would echo one another. One side of the field would move and perform and then the other side would follow a couple of beats later and perform the exact same thing. Their ballad was gave the audience a constant "Deja Vu" type of feel with circles constantly collapsing and reforming. 

Seven Lakes "The Art of Music" - Each movement had its own personality. The title sounds cheesy, but when you see the show in person, you see that their show is literally the Art of Music. They had their own painters, and even the colorguard would each have their own canvas! Love their twist in Beethoven's Fifth. Sneakily clever show design.

Clements "Adrenaline Rush"- Super exciting. This show demanded a lot out of its performers. From start to finish, there were no breaks. They had this projection near the front ensemble depicting flashes of videos of surfing or some fast paced activity, adding to the buildup. One of the harder Clements shows in recent years, but also one of their better ones. 

Dawson "Tempting Fate" - You have to give props to any band that marches to Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli. That piece is a nightmare to march with all the time signature changes. Anyhow, the ballad was one of my favorite where you can clearly hear melodies from The Sound of Silence. They have this hit before their impact moment in the end of the ballad where the entire band squatted down, and it was one of my favorite moments in their show. 

On the topic of lesser discussed bands, North Shore is at the top of my list.

Their state finals performance online was one of the most clear, clean, pristine, and downright powerful performances I can remember watching in recent memory. The sounds they made are...wow. All that music we all know was played just about as well as I can remember. My eye is definitely on them in the future. I think they could

really push for San Antonio finals, and if they went to a St. Louis or Atlanta regional, they'd excel.

Regardless, that state finals run floored me. Don't think I've ever heard Great Gate of Kiev sound that good in the HS world.

Hello everyone!  :D

I know this isn't really the right place to post this.. but I've stumbled across this petition to send the 3 BISD schools to Grand Nationals in 2017!

The BISD schools are Richland, Haltom and Birdville! They are pretty good schools with outstanding shows this past season and I think this would be a once in a life time opportunity for these kids! It has been quite a long time since any of these schools have attended Grand Nats and I think we should help our Texas band family out! So lets share the word on this great petition and help send them to Grand Nationals!!  :lol:

Petition Link: 

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/help-send-the-bisd-schools-to-grand-nationals

• 5 months later...

Oh, and adding another to the list. Glenda Dawson's "Sound of Silence".....love the Flute work

Ok I know I'm late to the game, but I just went and found this on YouTube and you ain't kidding...the flute duet is insanely beautiful in this piece!

(at the 10 min mark--you're welcome).

Gorgeous.

• 3 months later...

Favorites Categories:

Jawdrop - FloMo bringing the Mojo

Guard - LD Bell

Pun - Dripping Springs

Singer - Trinity

Orchestra - James Martin

Cool - CTJ

Huge Silk - Tie - Keller's clouds and Berkner's ending flyover with the shakos coming off

Accessory - Hendrickson's 3D Glasses

Lol best pun this makes me laugh...oh Drip what are we gonna do with ourselves