Fall HS Marching Shows 2016

Well I think Johnson, out of DCI/BOA/WGI has the honor of most intriguing and hilarious (in a good way) show announcement I can think of.  I mean, who the heck thought of mixing Borodin, Daft Punk, and Pineapple Poll with freakin Maniac/Flashdance?  HAHA.  This will be pretty dang fun, really excited already to see this.  That's gonna be WILD.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vista Ridge's should be tons of fun, getting a pretty big Fallout vibe from it, well the pre-war part of it.   :P   Wonder if we will hear Dr. Atomic again based on the listed composers, absolutely loved Hendrickson's rendition in 2012!  Have really loved their shows the past few years, they're really coming into their own.

Westwood and CT Johnsons seem pretty similar in theme to me.  Dance/movement based theme paired with a huge variety in music ranging old to very new.  Though I'm sure we'll be getting two very different treatments if they are in fact a little similar.  Loving the music in Westwoods though, that "Chandelier" is pretty dang cool sounding.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cedar Park's opener sounds like Sarah's song from the movie Hocus Pocus, also released by Kate Covington in the past few years with the title "Come Little Children".  Incidentally, the text is a slightly altered version of a poem of the same name originally written by Edgar Allan Poe.  I'm curious to see where they go with this concept.    

above are links to the movements Leander played for their spring preview of the fourth dimension.

overall i gotta say i prefer this music to what was in choral works, and im absoulutely astonished that they managed to learn three movements of the show in four days. Really excited to see how this will turn out when it's all put together.

Really digging that impact from cedar park as well, a texas caption sweep for 3A at grand nats between the two of them is very exciting to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went to Hebron's preview and have heard about Marcus and Lewisville but those are all just skeptical rumors so I wont put them up on here until I confirm them from my sources (sounds official right?). Hebron's show is about the unseen things in the see, they're (for right now) calling it Hidden Fortress, but said that might change. They have a new arranger this year, Will Pitts is busy getting stabbed while conducting Spartacus and writing music for Phantom so I can imagine that's why they parted ways. Michael Martin is the new guy, and here's a layout of their show:

The opener is a build up with a big hit as you can imagine. There's a woodwind quartet or quintet or something that is straight sixteenth notes for quite a while and then the whole woodwind section joins in. When it's full tempo it's gonna be nuts. Theres a low brass feature, and then another big hit, followed by an oboe solo. I think it's the same soloist from last year and the year before? Can't remember. It gets a little dark and then finishes with a big hit. What's astonishing to me is that the percussion just now got their opener? Does anyone else find that extremely late?

The ballad is an original by Michael Martin, and Oh Cherries is gorgeous. Don't know if it'll live up to last years but it is absolutely gorgeous. It's completely different than last year, it's powerful and bright where last year was dark and jazzy. 

The closer is from a peace called Where Eagles Soar or something like that and a few other pieces, and it's really darn cool. Really stinking cool. I'll tell you what if Hebron can work hard enough to pull this show off, they're extremely dangerous. EXTREMELY dangerous.

I'd just like to put this out there because most people don't know this, but some of the high school percussion studios in the DFW area learn not only the band show, but a separate exclusively percussion marching show, sort of like WGI. I'm not sure if the groups in the Southern parts do similar things, I know a few do Winter Percussion, but it's amazing to me that they do both. I think Hebron and Flower Mound are the top two marching drumlines this year in the North, Coppell is close behind if not right with them along with Aledo, Boswell, Marcus, and a few other high schools that my brain is blanking on at the moment. But crazy kids. I remember in my day at Reagan I was burned out at the end of the season from just the marching show, I can't begin to imagine what doing two shows does.

LISD Parent Performances. 

Vista Ridge: 

https://youtu.be/piHz0-QaJvU

Leander:

First Part:

Second Part:

Leander's show definitely has a Hebron World of Wonder feel to it if you ask me...this is quite the vehicle and if they can get some of those really tough licks cleaned, and really finesse that power of their's, this could really be a special year for them. This is definitely a show meant to peak at GN.