UIL Texas 5A State Marching Contest predictions?

Pretty happy with both our performances  B)

Although, we tore apart in the beginning during Prelims & in our 3rd part/mvmt. in Finals for a good 15 seconds + some of us were a little excited and you can hear individual players/harsher chords which really cost us in Music during Finals. Nothing we can't fix though.

Congrats to everyone in Area C who made State! As I predicted this year was for sure the best the contest has ever been. Everyone in Finals this year could've made State IMHO if they were in other Areas (no offense).

Pretty happy with both our performances  B)

Although, we tore apart in the beginning during Prelims & in our 3rd part/mvmt. in Finals for a good 15 seconds + some of us were a little excited and you can hear individual players/harsher chords which really cost us in Music during Finals. Nothing we can't fix though.

Congrats to everyone in Area C who made State! As I predicted this year was for sure the best the contest has ever been. Everyone in Finals this year could've made State IMHO if they were in other Areas (no offense).

Not to take away from your performances because they were both excellent, but it's not very appropriate to bash other areas. There are several areas that are just as competitive if not more so please be careful. Great performance though and I enjoyed your musical selections! I got to see everyone and I will say yours was one of my favorites!

Not to take away from your performances because they were both excellent, but it's not very appropriate to bash other areas. There are several areas that are just as competitive if not more so please be careful. Great performance though and I enjoyed your musical selections! I got to see everyone and I will say yours was one of my favorites!

Thank you! I wasn't trying to, everyone who advances to State is on another level no doubt, I tip my hat to everyone there. It's just fact that some areas aren't as strong as others (Area D for example, most* Top 3 bands in every area couldn't break the Top 4/5 there).

I'm curious as to what your logic is in predicting vista ridge will leap frog both cp and Leander because I'm just not seeing that at all

I see Leander/CP as a toss up and Vista Ridge/Vandergrift as a toss up.  All four shows are pretty different and impressive.  I think at this point it will depend on the judges preference which can't really be predicted.  

That being said my prediction of the Area D bands (I haven't seen the others) is:

1: Leander

2: Cedar Park

3: Vista Ridge

4: Vandergrift

They are pretty amazing but I am sure others from the other Areas are amazing as well and can break up the LISD block on the top spots.  All the kids in these final bands amaze me every time I see them.  It does make me sad when you see the financial differences between schools/areas significantly impact the shows for UIL.

Hi Natertater.  After attending area D the other day and reading through the judges rubric out on the UIL page, here's why I like Vista:

1:  Both Leander and Cedar Park have great shows.  Leander's is utterly killer.  Both, in my opinion, are more geared for BOA than UIL, especially Leander with their explosion of visual and general effect.

2:  Cedar Park in general has more instances in their show where they either have ensembles playing the ultra difficult parts while the band dances around or does visual things.  Lots of free form.

3:  Both Leander and Cedar Park have a good bit of free form.  It's all really great stuff and looks tremendous!  It's more for BOA though (visuals / general effect)

4:  Vista Ridge is marching all over the field!  It looked to me they had the most complex marching show of the night, and they looked really tight.

5:  All 3 bands have some killer music!  I picked out some strange time signatures for Vista.  I think I heard some 7 and 9 in there.  All 3 bands nail their music.  It seemed to me though that Vista did a little better at a "full band" playing+marching  the show than having smaller groups up playing the ultra difficult parts.

6:  Leander wins hands down on visuals.  Cedar Park's color guard is FANTASTIC.  Vista's guard did something different with theirs spinning in those pyramids - NICE!   But, reading through the rubrics and knowing that this is UIL and not BOA, the "show" is supposed to take a back seat to the marching and playing.

If this were BOA - it would be Leander, then Cedar Park, then likely Vandy followed by Vista.

But, since this is UIL, all the visual effect / general effect stuff is supposed to be secondary.  Of course, it could be what puts Leander and CP over Vista. 

Watching the performances the other night, I was most impressed by Vista's marching and playing.  I tried to focus most heavily on those aspects and tried to avoid focusing on the visual / general effect elements (not an easy feat with Leander's show!).   It just seems to me that Vista's show is designed to showcase the band, the marching, and the music whereas Leander and CP  seem to have more focus on the general effect and visual effect side.

Lastly - I won't write of Vandy.  Their marching drill and music seem a little bit simpler than the other 3, but they can really nail it.  And they have one of the best guards around.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were one of the top 3.  Gonna be a great competition!  Shame it has to be so late in the night for those kids and for all the parents :(

5:  All 3 bands have some killer music!  I picked out some strange time signatures for Vista.  I think I heard some 7 and 9 in there.  

This part still wow's me in Vista's show. It gets a little overlooked because they make it looks so easy somehow...but they're not only playing in 7/8 and 9/8 sometimes...they're marching 4/4 (5/4?) at times, while playing 9/8 music...Still have no idea how they pull that off so well. 

-If this were BOA - it would be Leander, then Cedar Park, then likely Vandy followed by Vista.

-But, since this is UIL, all the visual effect / general effect stuff is supposed to be secondary.  Of course, it could be what puts Leander and CP over Vista. 

Does something change between UIL Area and State in terms of judging criteria?  These bands have gone head-to-head a couple of times now, with very consistent results, though Vista finally managed to beat Vandy at the Area competition. 

Does something change between UIL Area and State in terms of judging criteria?  These bands have gone head-to-head a couple of times now, with very consistent results, though Vista finally managed to beat Vandy at the Area competition. 

Vista Ridge placed 1st in finals at Area D back in 2013, though Vandegrift went on to win UIL state that year.

After Area D it's very clear Cedar Park and Leander are at the top right now. One slight alteration in judging could put either of them in the top spot. I think it's clear with less than a week left that the LISD schools will be dominating this one yet again.

1/2. Leander

1/2. Cedar Park

3-5. Vista Ridge

3-5. Vandegrift

3-5. Wakeland

6/7. Centennial (Wildcard)

6/7. Dripping Springs

8 to 10 is hard to tell for me as I'm not familiar with the less BOA involved 5A groups such as Forney, etc.