• 1 month later...

Ridge Point 2015: In the Shadow of the Mountain

-Vesuvius by Ticheli (Yes, we'll be figuring out a way to march in 9/8 for this)
-Come Sweet Death by Bach
-Children's March "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Grainger
-The Engulfed Cathedral by Debussey

Drill was designed by a guy who's currently on tour working with the Blue Devils, Tim Darbonne. So expect it to be great.

Also, not gonna spoil anything because it's gonna be awesome when the whole thing comes to fruition and surprises are fun, but expect some really cool effects and visual stuff.

To elaborate on Vista Ridge

Selections:

* Kaval Sviri - Bulgarian Folk Song

* Concerto Fantasy for Two Timpanists and Orchestra Movement III - Philip Glass

* Ara Batur - Sigur Ros / Jonsi Birgisson

Drill writer: Richard Hinshaw, of Avon HS fame.

Percussion writer: Tom Rarick, of Bluecoats fame.

Choreographer: Curtis Uhlemann, of Cadets fame.

Music writer: Ryan George, of Boston Crusaders fame.

Selections:

That looks great! Vista Ridge's design staff has always done an incredible job. I loved Danza de La Rosa. Just a little worried y'all will overtake us (score-wise, your shows are already way more entertaining) at westlake!

Selections:

Kaval Sviri makes for a FANTASTIC opening impact moment, see Vanguard Cadets this last year and Blue Knights in 2003, awesome piece.  Quite a design staff too, should be awesome!  

I can't wait to see Leander. Of course I'm biased here, but it has all the makings of another tremendous show after being the surging story of last year. "Choral Works" basically has a double meaning here. There will be choir incorporated somehow into this thing... and the coral art of Matisse will be on display somehow. I also am pretty sure there will be electronics as part of it as the music of Son Lux. Opener sounds like "Lost it to Trying" arranged for this performance. It is going to be an incredible opening statement. If I'm getting a feel for this thing early it could be a monster in all captions. I think it will play well to UIL as well as I feel Leander may be the favorite to win 5A at this point carrying on last year's success. Would not be surprised at all to see LISD sweep the medals again like in 2013. Some other bands will have to step it up to prevent that from happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised by how many bands have already learned parts of their show! Is it normal for bands to work on stuff outside of August-November?

Yes, many of the top bands at least play through their opener music at the end of the school year and have as much music as possible available to the students for individual practice over the summer.

I love this perspective.  I hope more bands do something like this for their own show reveals.  I think some directors look at something like this and scoff at it like, "I don't have time for something like this!  If you have time for this, use it to actually improve your band!".....of course, those people would be fools. Because the small amount of time it takes to create a sort of behind the scenes preview can have far reaching benefits.

In this smartphone age where everything is multimedia and social media and the youth of this generation are born practically integrated into that system, this video gives band a sort of cultural relevance.  The kids will see it, and the booster parents will see it, but more than that, some of the lesser involved parents will probably see it and community members will see it and it gives insight to them in what we're about and what we do.  It generates hype and excitement which provides for greater ownership of what the kids are doing and makes it something they want to invest more of their time in.  Music Advocacy is something we need to always be mindful of.  Don't assume people are going to be on board with what you're doing simply because you're doing it and you love doing it.  Will it transform your program?  No.....but it's still a worthwhile thing to do.

So yeah, this is pretty cool. That said....I think this may have been a little lengthy and a little "long-winded" though B) .  I'd have liked to see some pictures from some of the camps leading up to August sort of inserted in as the directors were talking...maybe pictures of some of the flags being used, maybe some conceptual sketches of props (if any).  Interesting stuff....Looking forward to Friendswood's show this year.

I've heard that Marcus' show has to deal with the number 5. As in a 5th symphony? If so, will we see a repeat of 2012? I still have no idea what hebrons show is about, does anyone know when they do the marching season showcase? I'm guessing it's just on their high school campus somewhere, but does anyone know when? I'm planning on going!!!

Went to both the Marcus and Hebron previews last year and they are both in the fall after football starts. I want to catch FloMo this year as well but not sure when they do it.  I remember the Hebron one specifically because they had a professional announcer that sounded like Dan Potter for the performance and then had ice cream sundae bar for everyone after the performance. Probably need to do that one again :)

BTW--Hebron has supposedly lost two directors and need to replace both this summer. One for sure is going to JJ Pearce in Richardson. That's a tough transition for a band going to GN's in the fall.  No turnover that I'm aware at Marcus.