2014 BOA San Antonio Super-Regional Predictions

Jbl3770

OK - This in not as advanced as the TXBANDS survey - but I took results to this point looking at the top 6  finishings - this is not weighted based on the actual placements you listed but the total number of you that predicted a top 6 finish

may update later if there are more entries

HEBRON       12

CTJ                12

BOWIE           11

MARCUS        10

TWHS              8

LEANDER        8

LD BELL           2

VANDERGRIFT, CEDAR PARK, BRAZOSWOOD, REAGAN - ALL AT 1 EACH

just interesting to look at - i will keep you posted

All I'm going to say is remember last year when only a few thought Round Rock was going to do well at the Grand Nationals and they got 4th in the prelims, 4th in the semis, and 4th in the finals (and a music caption in the semis). So far, most everyone is putting them as a bottom-feeders in the BOA SA finals. If they could have the same kind of push that they had last year, I could see them doing well here and at the 6A State finals. I'm not saying they will, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I've seen some not-so-strong performances from the typical big boys so far this year and there could be some shake-ups. It should be fun to watch!

All I'm going to say is remember last year when only a few thought Round Rock was going to do well at the Grand Nationals and they got 4th in the prelims, 4th in the semis, and 4th in the finals (and a music caption in the semis). So far, most everyone is putting them as a bottom-feeders in the BOA SA finals. If they could have the same kind of push that they had last year, I could see them doing well here and at the 6A State finals. I'm not saying they will, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I've seen some not-so-strong performances from the typical big boys so far this year and there could be some shake-ups. It should be fun to watch!

You're right about that. I remember noticing that not even the Round Rock students predicted themselves to place as high as they did for Grand Nats (the highest prediction I remember seeing on the list was 5th place). I also recall that the forums came to a consensus last year that the top 6 at San Antonio would be Marcus, Hebron, LD Bell, CTJ, and The Woodlands no questions asked. Well, 2 of those (the 2 that historically dominated this competition for nearly the past decade at that) ended up coming in 8th and 9th place, so our predictions at a "top 6" this year could easily be just as off. If you had told anyone that Marcus would come in 8th place after scoring a 96.1 the year before you would've been laughed off the forums.

I'm going to have to predict pretty loosely this year. Unlike last year, I don't feel confident declaring a band the likely champion after seeing the early regional videos. I'm tempted to say Hebron, but again, I still think that might be getting ahead of myself. It's all going to depend on what happens within the next three weeks.

Likely Top Five (alphabetical)

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Hebron

James Bowie

Marcus

The Woodlands

Top Threats to the Top Five (alphabetical)

Flower Mound

L.D. Bell

Leander

Round Rock

Other Finalists (alphabetical)

Cedar Park

Ronald Reagan

Spring

Vandegrift

Winston Churchill

Outstanding Music Performance - 1. Hebron 2. James Bowie 3. Claudia Taylor Johnson

Outstanding Visual Performance - 1. The Woodlands 2. James Bowie 3. Marcus

Outstanding General Effect - 1. Hebron 2. Claudia Taylor Johnson 3. The Woodlands

I think we have two coins this season. Two sides of one coin are Hebron and Marcus. These are bands that sound quite a bit like concert ensembles on the field. There's a ton of calmness, warmth, and clarity in how they play. They also don't water down their music as much as other groups when they translate it to the field. Both of their shows this year are a bit sentimental and whimsical as well. They aren't as fast-moving and thrilling (in the traditional sense) as some of their competitors, but they more than make up for it with other things. I love, love, love that Marcus is doing Russian Christmas Music this year. It's such a nostalgic piece for me, and of course they do it justice. The drill in their opener is also highly sophisticated, befitting a show called Imperial Treasures. Hebron is the group that had me declaring that everyone should be peeing their pants after I heard a stand-still performance of their entire show. There is so much demand in the music it's absolutely insane, and the level of achievement is extraordinary-- and will only get more extraordinary as the season progresses.

The two sides of the other coin are Claudia Taylor Johnson and The Woodlands. These are groups that are highly Drum Corps-esque. Both of their shows this year are fast, in-your-face, unsentimental, and quirky. Watching CTJ's finals show from Conroe was like watching a rare specimen creep out onto the field at night. There was something truly exquisite about the whole thing. CTJ plays so powerfully, but with such clarity, and they seem to have a whole lot of fun doing it. This show is sprinkled with small, ingenious moments, like when they superimpose the flute solo from Mvmnt III of The Symphonic Metamorphosis on top of Herbie Hancock's Chameleon. It's without a doubt the cleverest music moment of the year. More than anything else, I want them to place in the top 3. It's the only thing I hope for the results at San Antonio, especially after CTJ missed it the last two years with excellent shows. As for The Woodlands, yes, they were upset big time by CTJ, but I wouldn't count them out, especially given what was clearly a weaker performance in finals, and the fact that they are known to skyrocket in quality by late season. (Oh, and the show was incomplete.) What they lack right now in brass energy, ensemble contribution, and volume can be A.) Fixed by the time San Antonio rolls around, and B.) Made up for by the fact that their show design is the bee's knees. I will say this, the show is already great visually, and it's only going to come across better way high up in the Alamodome press box (where the GE judges are) where you can actually see all the arrow props and arrows being made in the drill.

James Bowie is sort of the odd one out for me. It's such a fun, quirky show. I thought the level of their performance in finals at BOA Austin, both musically and visually, was way beyond what I was expecting. It was really exceptional. I think they're a definite threat in both of the performance captions at San Antonio, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top three again. This is a group that is absolutely one of the most consistent groups in the state of Texas, especially after what happened last year at BOA San Antonio, where the two most dominant groups ever at the SA Super Regional dropped into the bottom half in finals. Alongside The Woodlands, it seems like Bowie's always within the top 3 or 4 groups at San Antonio and has never placed outside the top half of finals at the Super Regional, though I know that they actually totally missed finals in 2006 shortly before making national finals the same year. Anyway, super consistent group.

I think this is probably the best I'll be able to do before seeing the shows performed at San Antonio!

Awesome recap!!!! Being a DFW homer I'm curious on your thought on your next four bands. Flomo has a great show. Well designed! Beautiful music. If the tighten it up they may may a splash in SA and Indy. Bell also has a great show just not as grandiose(?) as usual. I like that the music is more focused. The flag work in the closer is mesmerizing. Can't wait to see where that show ends up.

I am familiar with Round Rock from their incredible run last year and before. I am not familiar with Leandar and think I should be as I am hearing great things about their program.

If you have time I would love to hear your thought on the above bands. San Antonio is going to be incredible!!!

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Great stuff!!

Leander has the unusually rare skill of not making Finals at early season BOA (Dallas, Conroe etc.), but then ends up making finals at BOA SA (made SA Finals in '08, '09, '12, missed it by one in '13).

I wonder what's going to happen at SA now that Leander is not only making finals at early season, but DOMINATING at it!

Last year was really crazy, but I'd be worth mentioning that last year Reagan got 5th in finals even though people were expecting them to not make finals, I was just wondering why people still put them in the bottom half?

Personally, I don't expect Reagan to finish in the top 7, but I still expect them to finish in the top 10. I think I can give you a few reasons as to why people are putting them in the bottom 7 places in finals as opposed to the top.

1). CTJ, Hebron, Bowie, Marcus, and The Woodlands are going to be incredibly hard to beat. Now, we may ultimately be wrong like we were last year, but that doesn't change the fact that as of right now, the general consensus seems to be that these are the best bands in Texas at the moment. Throw in the fact that FloMo and Leander have extremely well designed programs this year along with other top notch groups like Round Rock and Bell, and you've got a ton of bands that will be tough competition. But like I said, I expect Reagan to finish among the top 10, and to be one of those tough bands.

2). Last year's SA results were a little... strange (i.e. The 7th place band winning the Music Caption, Marcus going from 3rd in prelims to 8th in finals, The Woodlands finishing 5th in prelims ). Not saying that they were wrong placements and that bands didn't deserve the placements they got (seriously, I want to make it VERY clear that I have no intention of discrediting anyone), but the results were at least odd enough to raise some eyebrows, rather they were wrong or right. Not that it matters anyways, because:

3). Every year is different. I think Leander's breakout year this season is a perfect example of this.

4). People basing predictions off of early season placements. I don't think that this is the brightest thing to do (especially when it comes to Reagan). I can guarantee you that not everyone does this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shaped some of the predictions you've seen. Also, for the people that DON'T do this, that leads to Reagan being virtually unpredictable at San Antonio.

You do make a good point though. Since 2010 Reagan has shown that they are VERY capable of finishing around the 5-6 area, so it certainly is a possibility that I wouldn't count out this year.

Top 6 I believe will be(in no particular order)

Hebron

Leander

The Woodlands

Claudia Taylor Johnson

James Bowie

Marcus

All of these bands will be in finals, almost guaranteed.

The next 6 bands also in no particular order

Flower Mound

Cedar Park

Round Rock

Ronald Reagan

LD Bell

Vandegrift

I believe the last 2 finals spots are up for grabs, some bands to look at would be

Vista Ridge

Richland

Plano East

Anderson

Aledo

Spring

Friends wood

I personally think that marcus has a better chance at placing higher than CTJ and Bowie. I like Marcus and Hebron more than any other show in the state. That is just my opinion. My top four is

1) Hebron

2) Marcus

3) CTJ

4) Bowie

Again this is just my personal thoughts and predictions, but I think hebron is ahead of ctj and Bowie.

Knox, I agree with most of it. I think Hebron will win the music caption. Right now, it's the caption I feel most confident about. I think the difficulty/accomplishment ratio will give them the edge in it, although I think Bowie might actually be producing the better quality ensemble sound. Bowie will (or at least should) be up there in both performance captions. That's also why I would give the edge to Bowie over Leander going into the competition, because I have a strong feeling that Bowie will score moderately higher in performance-- more than I think Leander could beat them in GE, but anything is possible. GE is a pretty powerful thing in BOA!

I watched the videos of CTJ's performances before The Woodlands' performances. In finals, this was the exact order, though in prelims, The Woodlands had the benefit of performing last, well after CTJ performed in the morning. CTJ's performance in finals was extremely passionate, loud, and energetic. In comparison, The Woodlands seemed anemic. Also, the effect of the ballad was demolished by the failed electronics. Anyway, I actually think you have it backwards with regard to TW's Music GE being stronger than the Visual GE. If I recall correctly, John Howell, who, by the way, was probably the most veteran BOA visual judge on that panel, had TW first in visual GE over CTJ by more than a point in prelims. In fact, it's where TW generated most of the point gap they had over CTJ in prelims. I think TW's music book is wonderful, but they need a passion transfusion in their performance if they want to take GE at San Antonio. This is why I'm giving the edge to CTJ right now. Music counts for more of the score. The Woodlands does, however, have history on its side. For at least a decade, it seems like they've added at least 10 points to their early regional score. Plus, they always beat one or more groups that beat them at the early regional, which would have to be CTJ this year.

Knox, I agree with most of it. I think Hebron will win the music caption. Right now, it's the caption I feel most confident about. I think the difficulty/accomplishment ratio will give them the edge in it, although I think Bowie might actually be producing the better quality ensemble sound.

Are you basing this off of Bowie's performance at BOA Austin? Or a more recent performance of theirs? Im just curious because I thought that compared to Bowie's Austin performance, Hebron's Denton performance had just a tad better ensemble balance and blend. I do realize that Hebron performed a whole week after Bowie did, which is why I'm kind of wondering which Bowie performance you are basing this off of. 

I think any of the "general consensus top 5" (woodlands Bowie marcus hebron CTJ, not saying these bands are an automatic top 5) have a shot at taking visual. That's up for grabs. I think the woodlands might be the leader of that caption. But GE is where it gets interesting. I think that woodlands and hebron have the best general effect, but hebron just seems to emerge as the leader there. But I guess this is just my prediction which is probably gonna be wrong as I found out last year (I had marcus taking second at BOASA)