2013 BOA San Antonio Super Regional

I saw both Bowie and CTJ at BOA Austin and they were both amazing. And this was weeks ago. I can only imagine how their shows have cleaned up. Bowie didn't sound weak at all, as mentioned in an earlier post. On the contrary they were as strong as last year with a more difficult marching show. I've heard they have an even larger band this year so that might be adding to their sound. Westlake Marching Festival was last weekend and apparently the rain held off through the day until Bowie played their finals performance. Apparently they nailed it, even in the rain. This might be their year, although Marcus' Charmed show is spectacular! BOASA is going to be fun!

When someone said that Bowie sounded weak, I don't think they referring to their volume. I watched the BOA Austin videos and Bowie lacks a lot of the refinement and blend that they've had in the past couple years. But that was so early in the season it's probably not indicative of much. It's just that their brass sounded harsh with individuals sticking out of the bands sound.

So they don't sound weak from a volume perspective, they sound weak from an ensemble quality aspect. I think this will improve a lot by the end of the season, though.

Someone missed the BOA DFW Live Blog ;)

"Haltom - Endangered - This show goes from really
dark and scary to awesomely triumphant as a heard of what look like
Zerg Ultralisks migrate their way across the field; chronicalling the
journey of the baby of the pack as he interacts with all the different
sections of the band. The flute/clarinet ensemble was gorgeously light,
feeling like we were in a fairy forest. Lots of very cool design here
and well brought out too."

I got to see The Woodlands perform at the Region 9 UIL competition. Holy smokes...show is finally complete (maybe) with an extended closer after the "W" formation performed at BOA Conroe. In addition, they've added a lot more visuals throughout the show in comparison to what's shown in the MFA video on demand. I will say this...the updated closer is so colorful and visually appealing that it rips your eyes out.

Definitely excited to see them and the rest of the Texas contingent perform at SA and Indy.

Someone missed the BOA DFW Live Blog ;)

"Haltom - Endangered - This show goes from really

dark and scary to awesomely triumphant as a heard of what look like

Zerg Ultralisks migrate their way across the field; chronicalling the

journey of the baby of the pack as he interacts with all the different

sections of the band. The flute/clarinet ensemble was gorgeously light,

feeling like we were in a fairy forest. Lots of very cool design here

and well brought out too."

I saw it, Brandon! :) I'm addicted to the live blog. hehe I even read it to the kids on the bus I ride. They were excited. They especially liked the reference to Zerg Ultralisks. ;) The show has changed since BOA DFW and wow...did the kids get a great response from the crowd last night at UIL. People from other schools were snapping pictures and taking video. We also had people asking questions and commenting positively. There was cheering/clapping during and after, with more than a few giving the kids the standing "O," outside of my fellow parents. They received Haltom's first 1+ from the judges, finishing with a Sweepstakes for the night and lots of wonderful comments from the judges, too. It's a great year to be a Buffalo! I take no credit for their efforts and am just thankful to get to see it grow and change each week. I'm actually okay with it not getting a lot of buzz, because I'm confident that it will. They played so early at BOA DFW, it wasn't seen by many. A lot of people were introduced to the show last night. It was fun to be there! :) Thanks to the txbands crew for all y'all do. It is most appreciated! :)

Any opinions on Flower Mounds show this year? I know they are not in the top 6, but they're GE made a splash in Conroe. Other than the weak sound in prelims they seem pretty serious. They're score from prelims to finals alone jumped 4 points.

I actually really liked their show! I'm not quite sure that I understand the concept, but I love their music.  I'm rooting for them to place into finals! I really like the clarinet solo at the beginning! I loved the Reich? (I think it's Variations for Winds Strings and Keyboard) and Wild nights mix.

You guys might think I am crazy when I say this but really... From what I seen last weekend at St. Louis super regional.... Blue Springs can make a big impact in San Antonio... When I say big... I mean they can cause some upsets... Guys just wait...

I haven't seen any videos on them. Given their score this Saturday I think there is a chance that they'll score in the top half in BOA SA finals, but I'm very skeptical as to whether they'll be able to beat one of the top 6 bands. I just don't see them breaking into the top tier that includes Bell, Woodlands, Marcus, Bowie, Hebron and CTJ. I guess we'll have to see!

good god... how could I forget?!?!

Sometimes its due to music rights....sometimes its due to the "protection of artistic vision," if you will. HQ vids of TW and Bowie are usually released at the end of the season. Marcus and Bell videos: some years good videos get posted and are removed, other times they stay up.

I believe it's so no one can see their show or try to take some of their amazing formations from them... Until after Indy

Any opinions on Flower Mounds show this year? I know they are not in the top 6, but they're GE made a splash in Conroe. Other than the weak sound in prelims they seem pretty serious. They're score from prelims to finals alone jumped 4 points.

I just told a friend that Flower Mound's last two shows (Paris, Circus) were two of my favorite shows from the past two years.  I've seen their show a couple times recently and they play very well although this years music is not particularly complex.  Also, the pace and design of the drill is good, but doesn't compare as well to LDB, Marcus, Hebron, Woodlands, Cedar Park, and maybe Cedar Ridge.  Frankly, they have a strong GE show and could be top 10 but I'm not yet convinced.  I plan on attending Duncanville this weekend and will have a better feel after that contest.

Will BOA San Antonio be the biggest year for surprises?

I have been thinking about all of the possibilities and outcomes for this competition. I have not heard much about what has been going on from L.D. Bell and Marcus, but what I have been reading is that we might possibly have a new champion. What do you think will happen? Will a sleeping giant rise and dominate the competition? Will we have a different band place first or even second? What do you think?

Also, who do you think will be in the top half of finals? Who do you think will make the top seven places at this competition? This is an extremely competitive year! So excited to see what happens!