2010 UIL State

I have a question, and pending the answer another. If 10 bands make finals, but lets say there is a tie making 11 who could be in finals, do they take all 11 to finals, or do they break the tie and only have 10 in finals and leave out the school that tied?

They break the tie and only take 10.

Separate from that: "In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals."

This used to state that any band that received Finals votes (top 7 at the time) from two music and one marching judge would advance to Finals regardless. This is why there were 8 bands in 5A State Finals in 2000.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They break the tie and only take 10.

Separate from that: "In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the finals."

This used to state that any band that received Finals votes (top 7 at the time) from two music and one marching judge would advance to Finals regardless. This is why there were 8 bands in 5A State Finals in 2000.

Well now I get that, but wouldn't it make sense to just take the extra school and have 11 in finals? I'm not saying if there was a 4way tie like in 2003 they should take them all, but what if it was just one band that tied, wouldn't you like to see them have a shot? After all they did equal the point needed for finals. I'm just tossing this out there

Edited by TxRaider13

Well now I get that, but wouldn't it make sense to just take the extra school and have 11 in finals? I'm not saying if there was a 4way tie like in 2003 they should take them all, but what if it was just one band that tied, wouldn't you like to see them have a shot? After all they did equal the point needed for finals. I'm just tossing this out there

If they were tied for the last spot to make finals, they most likely would have fit the 2 music and 1 marching judge placed them in Finals criteria that used to be in place. I think that rule should go back to how it used to be instead of how it is now.

I understand where you are going from an emotional stand point, but the fact is the rule is written that way because someone at UIL wanted it that way. The relevance of what you or I would want, is, well.....irrelevant. What is relevant is that the schools participating understand that the rule is the rule so that there are no surprises when and if the situation arises.

I understand where you are going from an emotional stand point, but the fact is the rule is written that way because someone at UIL wanted it that way. The relevance of what you or I would want, is, well.....irrelevant. What is relevant is that the schools participating understand that the rule is the rule so that there are no surprises when and if the situation arises.

Ties to me a very confusing too me... UIL's way of breaking a tie isnt very fair but it works for them. In my opnion a tie shouldn't be broken and they should just allow the band that tied advance or break by soem sort of competition like a drum-off

karen - I saw Cy-Falls on Saturday at finals. Their show was good and they have the usual really good props. I was surprised, that during the first half of the show they only marched on 1/2 of the field. Their props were lined up right down the middle of the field and they only marched on the home side. Isn't there a rule about using the whole field?

karen - I saw Cy-Falls on Saturday at finals. Their show was good and they have the usual really good props. I was surprised, that during the first half of the show they only marched on 1/2 of the field. Their props were lined up right down the middle of the field and they only marched on the home side. Isn't there a rule about using the whole field?

There's no rule about using the whole field. In fact, I still think you can charge the stands like Spring 2000. Best ending ever!

There's no rule about using the whole field. In fact, I still think you can charge the stands like Spring 2000. Best ending ever!

Yep, unlike BOA, UIL doesn't have any performance boundary rules.

In fact, Mansfield Legacy at Area B pulled a Spring 2000 and rushed right around and in front of the pit to play their last phrase right in front of the stands.

I saw your performance at Westlake and after I watched it I felt you guys still had a lot of polishing to do on an otherwise complex and entertaining show. Sounds like the extra weeks since Westlake has allowed you to smooth out those rough spots. I look forward to seeing your show next week at (yikes!) 7:30am.

yeah were not too thrilled about the 7:30 time. but one thing our director keeps telling us that for at least a few minutes, we'll be in first place! :D haha and i guess i should be happy that its a local school going first, instead of some dallas band or something.

They beat them because of percussion and guard scores. I believe that Bowie won the marching and music caption at both? And while I wasn't at Area, looking at the scores. Bowie must have really kicked some butt on the field. I do like Round Rocks show and wish them good luck.

Cedar Park won best music and visual of the day, and second in percussion.

key phrases: "ENTIRE show" and "win them state"

Realistically your phrasing doesn't make sense because it's a known norm that shows are never always fast. I've never seen a show that didn't have a ballad/slow movement, not because it's impossible, but because having this slow movement often adds depth and beauty to the show.

Haha, try to find a moment where it's not fast or intense. Good Luck.

They didn't win, but they were the best band there. Period.

0:23-1:26

3:36-5:50

6:16-6:49

All those are moments in which the tempo is not that fast... or fast at all. Now regarding intensity... what exactly does intense mean? Does it mean something like that upside down triangle set in the opener where the entire band is playing, rumbling the bleachers? I don't think so, because they tried that very same trick the next year, and as everyone already knew, that was simply a product of their size the year before, so it was a little disappointing. I'm being picky right now, and obviously Cedar park had an incredibly arranged show that year, but it's a high school marching band... not Allah revealing himself.

By the way... if you're not first, you're last.

:D

Realistically your phrasing doesn't make sense because it's a known norm that shows are never always fast. I've never seen a show that didn't have a ballad/slow movement, not because it's impossible, but because having this slow movement often adds depth and beauty to the show.

It's not my phrasing... but I know, I'm just ****ing around.

Edited by mrwood69