2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know how the tickets work? I know there are single session passes and all day passes for prelims and finals. How do the single session tickets work? Is it just for one block of bands and then they make you leave? :wacko:

A session is Prelims or Finals of either 3A or 5A.

There are 4 total sessions across the two days.

A session is Prelims or Finals of either 3A or 5A.

There are 4 total sessions across the two days.

Thanks for the info. That means I can watch as many of the bands as my schedule permits. I don't know if I can go through all thirty-somewhat bands, though. After Saturday, sitting in the hot sun at McAllen watching about 35 performances (twelve hours straight, literally), I don't know if I can have that kind of patience again. Not to mention getting about 4-5 hours of sleep the night before because of a looong road trip from San Antonio.

Hate to sound so ignorant, but I'm a band mom very new to all this... :lol: So the 5A schedule that was posted, is that all what is considered preliminaries? When do the finals happen?

Go Pride of Pearland!! :D

Yes, the posted schedule is the prelims. After prelims are over they announce the 10 finalists as well as the performance order. Those bands then perform that evening/night with results announced immediately afterwards.

The finals will start that evening at 6:45pm according to Ticketmaster. The 5a schedule posted is for the prelimaries. You can purchase a ticket for the preliminaries or the finals for $17. If you want to go to both the prelims and the finals, you can buy a combined ticket for $28.

If you go to ticketmaster and search for UIL, you will see where you can buy the tickets (all of which are general admission)

Hate to sound so ignorant, but I'm a band mom very new to all this... :lol: So the 5A schedule that was posted, is that all what is considered preliminaries? When do the finals happen?

Go Pride of Pearland!! :D

UIL website says that 5A finals start at 8:15 pm on Tuesday 11/2. That means everything will be done and announced by 11pm-ish on Tuesday night. This is consistant with how it went two years ago.

Holy cow... so even if they were magically all on the buses by 11:30, they still won't be back until close to 3am... and have to be back up 3 hours later to get to school??? :o

When Finals was only 7 bands they started at 7 and counted down. But as others have said, it made it a bit anticlimactic because as soon as #2 was announced you knew who #1 was.

I dunno. Personally, I think it adds to the tension and suspense when bands are eliminated as they go down from last to first. That way, the real climax is when 2nd is announced and everybody already knows who first is. I like how they do that in BOA and DCI and how they used to do it in UIL state.

area C had finals cancelled because of rain. Duncanville especially had a rainy performance that day. In prelims, sometimes bands don't give it their all and they get energized for finals. I am completely sure that if there were finals that day, the same 4 would be going to state but the order would have been different. (Nothing against Rowlett or any other area C band)

So, if Duncanville didn't give there all, then Rowlett didn't give it there all? Then . . . just sayin' . . .

I saw a blog where Coppell knew 1 minute before they went on that this was their shot, but Rowlett didn't know that and probably Duncanville (can't speak for them, though).

So, if Duncanville didn't give there all, then Rowlett didn't give it there all? Then . . . just sayin' . . .

I saw a blog where Coppell knew 1 minute before they went on that this was their shot, but Rowlett didn't know that and probably Duncanville (can't speak for them, though).

Yeah well think about it- if you were told at the last minute that this was your only shot to get into state, you'd be nervous and not do as well because of nerves.

There's some interesting groupings that I see- a slight disadvantage for Coppell, having to perform right after Marcus, and the same for Berkner, performing right after L.D. Bell.

It'll be interesting!

I might be making this up... but didn't Coppell perform right after Marcus in 2008 prelims? (Or maybe Marcus was right after Coppell...). If this was the case... it seems like it wasn't really a detriment to either band in the end!

I don't know about you but I saw Haltom perform yesterday and they were quite spectacular. I think personally they are a very good possibility for state finals this year. Although, they haven't made state finals since 2004.

Don't get me wrong, Haltom is great, but i was surprised to see them advance to state. Even getting alternate would have surprised me. Their show just isn't up to par with where they have been. BUT, they are still a great band. Personally, I thought it'd be Marcus, Bell, Richland and Plano East with Hebron and Mansfield as alternates. SO, basically, i'm saying i would be quite surprised if they pulled off finals.

I see finals shaping up like this :

1) Marcus

2) LD Bell

3) Hebron

4) Duncanville

5) Coppell

6) Bowie

7) The Woodlands

8) Westlake

9) Reagan

10) Spring

I really didn't know past 8, so Reagan and Spring were kinda guesses, there's a lot of good bands out there, but my top 8 seems legit. T

The Woodlands NEVER has a very strong visual program....just saying.

It would be great to see Brazoswood back in state finals though!

that's a pretty absolute statement. They have scored well in visual at BOA consistently and their marching scores didn't hinder them enough to lose to Brazoswood... just saying.

Wow I can't believe how many grammatical errors I can have...

Edited by whitewing09

I think these predictions are underestimating the power of Duncanville and Coppell. Both are known for seriously stepping it up before state. As big bands, their musical aspects are generally better than their marching aspects, and I know for a fact that both bands have their music down. With some necessary cleaning up marching-wise before Nov. 2, and I think either band could have a good shot at making top 3.

But if your "sometimes bands don't give it their all" in prelims theory is valid (maybe, maybe not), then wouldn't that have to apply to Rowlett as well?

I was going to make the same point in regards to Hebron -- Nike's "My Better is Better Than Your Better" commercial comes to mind.

What's with all the hype surrounding Coppell?? The way people talk about them, I almost feel like I'm watching/listening to a completely different band. Not trying to be rude, I just don't get what the big deal is :huh: