2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at your user name...

Also, they are kind of, sort of back on their way up, but they are not exactly achieving at the level they used to back from the mid 80s-2003. Not yet, at least. I think they'll probably end up lower middle pack next Tuesday.

Well, how about Westfield? we can never forget about westfield
Edited by mellopwn1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did O'Connor win Area G Champs?? Are they a band on the rise? If I remember correctly, a few years ago they were barely an area finalist, then they barely made it to state 2 years ago, now they've made area champion? Are they sneaking up on us?? I'd love to see that, their shows are usually pretty interesting.

I'm The President of Judson High school Marching band. Over the past few years we've had some director changes for the better and have been able to make some great strides in our band. Last year we placed sixteenth at BOASA and this year, 12th at area D marching contest. We have improved this year and our show is based off of John Mackey's Asphalt Cocktail. :) If anyone has seen it, I would like to know what yall think about our chance of making Finals this year. I realize this is a little off topic but no one else is on the other forms and I really want some feedback. thanks.

Oh, I wasn't referring to Round Rock at all! There are some instances of what I said in the 5A predictions, however they are much more prevalent in the BOA SA predictions.

No disrespect, jsut a comment. :D

It's all good, and I see that too, in which case I know people are just bsing just to see what other people are predicting. That or they might as well kiss da baby cause aint no way that **** gonna happen.

Edited by mrwood69

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did O'Connor win Area G Champs?? Are they a band on the rise? If I remember correctly, a few years ago they were barely an area finalist, then they barely made it to state 2 years ago, now they've made area champion? Are they sneaking up on us?? I'd love to see that, their shows are usually pretty interesting.

Harlingen got first at Area G. O'Connor got 4th place at finals

source: http://www.uilmusic15.com/wp-content/uploa...ea_g_finals.pdf

Harlingen got first at Area G. O'Connor got 4th place at finals

source: http://www.uilmusic15.com/wp-content/uploa...ea_g_finals.pdf

What's worse for O'Connor is that they placed 8th at Westlake Marching Festival behind Bowie, Round Rock and Anderson, Akins (7th in area finals) and Pflugerville (11th in area prelims). So hopefully they've improved their show since then.

I'm The President of Judson High school Marching band. Over the past few years we've had some director changes for the better and have been able to make some great strides in our band. Last year we placed sixteenth at BOASA and this year, 12th at area D marching contest. We have improved this year and our show is based off of John Mackey's Asphalt Cocktail. :) If anyone has seen it, I would like to know what yall think about our chance of making Finals this year. I realize this is a little off topic but no one else is on the other forms and I really want some feedback. thanks.

I saw it just before our band was about to warm up. Gotta say, Asphalt Cocktail is one of my favorite pieces, we played it as a concert piece last year. And it's a really good show, but you're gonna have to have one heck of a performance to make finals. The bands that make finals at BOA are all really good bands, most of which are going to state. But good luck!

I'm surprised at the amount of people in the predictions that think Round Rock will place in finals.

Well just take a look at what Round Rock has done this year. They've placed first in the Capital City Marching Festival (With both Bowie and Cedar Park as competitors) and first in the Westlake Marching festival (Bowie and Anderson as competitors). I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled something like that out of the bag.

180+ is where its at

180 always seems to be the breaking point where the feet just don't want to move properly. It's hard to spike each count right on the beat when you're going that fast. Hebron hit 190 during their '06 closer and while it was very effective for the audience, the feet were still a bit choppy during that part of the show.

172 seems to be the traditional "Max Tempo" for marching bands. But 180 is considered "Battle Speed" for Drum Corps, with "Ramming Speed" pushing 190 or even 200 at times.

benhur.jpg

What's worse for O'Connor is that they placed 8th at Westlake Marching Festival behind Bowie, Round Rock and Anderson, Akins (7th in area finals) and Pflugerville (11th in area prelims). So hopefully they've improved their show since then.

I dont mean to brag, but when we (I go to O'Connor) watched our video of Area Finals, it was definetly 10X better than our Westlake performance! And while we got 4th in Finals, keep in mind we also got 2nd in pre-lims! I don't think state finals is a very reasonable prediction, but I can see us doing better than 2008 (26th place)

Well just take a look at what Round Rock has done this year. They've placed first in the Capital City Marching Festival (With both Bowie and Cedar Park as competitors) and first in the Westlake Marching festival (Bowie and Anderson as competitors). I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled something like that out of the bag.

They beat them because of percussion and guard scores. I believe that Bowie won the marching and music caption at both? And while I wasn't at Area, looking at the scores. Bowie must have really kicked some butt on the field. I do like Round Rocks show and wish them good luck.

I dont mean to brag, but when we (I go to O'Connor) watched our video of Area Finals, it was definetly 10X better than our Westlake performance! And while we got 4th in Finals, keep in mind we also got 2nd in pre-lims! I don't think state finals is a very reasonable prediction, but I can see us doing better than 2008 (26th place)

I saw your performance at Westlake and after I watched it I felt you guys still had a lot of polishing to do on an otherwise complex and entertaining show. Sounds like the extra weeks since Westlake has allowed you to smooth out those rough spots. I look forward to seeing your show next week at (yikes!) 7:30am.