2010 UIL State

It's not my phrasing... but I know, I'm just ****ing around.

Sorry it's just when people make absolute statements, it's hard for those statements to really be justified because said statements usually don't exist. How can we say anything about bands that have an entirely fast paced show, if no band is ever going to have that type of show. I wouldn't have said anything, if the whole CP discussion formed.

Edited by whitewing09

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that kind of offensive. My band has been in a 4 year slump of not making finals since state 2006, and this year we did. We didn't care that there were 3 bands above us, we cared that our hard work put us in a place we wanted to be. Our director was talking about a contest in 2001. We slipped into finals with the last slot. In finals, we gave the most electric and awesome performance we had EVER had. He came running down the stands because he was so excited. No, the students don't remember that we only placed 8th, they remember that unimmaginable feeling of having the most amazing performance they ever had. That is what marching band is about. So let's rephrase that, if you have "THAT" performance, then you win.

By the way... if you're not first, you're last.

:D

Edited by Drummantx

I find that kind of offensive. My band has been in a 4 year slump of not making finals since state 2006, and this year we did. We didn't care that there were 3 bands above us, we cared that our hard work put us in a place we wanted to be. Our director was talking about a contest in 2001. We slipped into finals with the last slot. In finals, we gave the most electric and awesome performance we had EVER had. He came running down the stands because he was so excited. No, the students don't remember that we only placed 8th, they remember that unimmaginable feeling of having the most amazing performance they ever had. That is what marching band is about. So let's rephrase that, if you have "THAT" performance, then you win.

You could've just said that there's 2nd place, and 3rd place, etc.

I'm taking my director over (no offense) a white trash movie that I would never watch. I'm trying to be serious, don't' take it as a joke. I'm not as blessed as kids being in bands like Bell or Marcus, but I'm proud that my band can perform a show that I can be proud of and am proud to be in the Canyon High School Soaring Pride Band. Placements don't matter. No stop kidding and start being serious. :/

Edited by Drummantx

I'm taking my director over (no offense) a white trash movie that I would never watch. I'm trying to be serious, don't' take it as a joke. I'm not as blessed as kids being in bands like Bell or Marcus, but I'm proud that my band can perform a show that I can be proud of and am proud to be in the Canyon High School Soaring Pride Band. Placements don't matter. No stop kidding and start being serious. :/

Totally agreed.

To that "if you're not first, you're last statement," the real last place is reserved for those who actually value the system rather than the actual activity that it is placing.

I understand where you are going from an emotional stand point, but the fact is the rule is written that way because someone at UIL wanted it that way. The relevance of what you or I would want, is, well.....irrelevant. What is relevant is that the schools participating understand that the rule is the rule so that there are no surprises when and if the situation arises.

I know, I'm just throwing something out there. So for scenerio sake lets say, that Bell and Haltom tie for 10th without the auto finals thing. Break the tie and justify why the band is and isn't in finals. Don't get upset people it's just a question I have always wanted answered and never understood. I don't have a better way to break ties than the current way, but if I did I would share it

Totally agreed.

To that "if you're not first, you're last statement," the real last place is reserved for those who actually value the system rather than the actual activity that it is placing.

Agreed, I will bet any amount of money that if you were to walk up to the band at state that gets last place, that they would still be enjoying the moment and enjoying the contest. I would love to tech a group of kids with that in them than a group that was win at all cost

Agreed, I will bet any amount of money that if you were to walk up to the band at state that gets last place, that they would still be enjoying the moment and enjoying the contest. I would love to tech a group of kids with that in them than a group that was win at all cost

I'd say any band advancing to state has already placed fairly high at a few contests (: I know my band will enjoy being at state even if we don't make finals; we actually voted during class, and it was almost unanimous that people would want to stay and watch finals anyway, even though that would get us home around 3am on a school night. Participating in state competition is a privilege that some bands will never enjoy. It's probably easy to take it for granted when you're at a good school like LDB, and you make state every year, but my band hasn't gone to state in 15 years (back when you didn't have to qualify at area), and we're happy just for the incredible improvement from years past.

Edited by Zurflu

You guys would be horrible athletes -_-

Faulty comparison...

I'd say there is a big different between the principles of athletics and of marching band. In athletics the emphasis is placed on conditioning the players, having a cohesive team, and winning because it's a competitive game... One of the main points is to win, no one goes to see a game just to see the art of the sport. In marching band the emphasis is on teaching the students to play music while marching with good execution and creating a cohesive band that can work together to create a show. Then a lot of bands choose to compete. Honestly, whoever wins doesn't really matter as much as how much I liked their show and I think this is true for most audience members who aren't affiliated with a band.

Moral of the story, don't compare two things that have different motives and that if you aren't first you're last crap is stupid in the marching band world.

Gotta love the "serious discussion on the principles of marching band" started because of a movie quote that is meant to be taken fecitiously. :lol:

It might have been started from a movie quote, but it's a theme that is constantly visited, so I addressed it. Besides that, if it weren't insisted upon, which is was, then I would have left it alone.

What exactly do you mean by that statement?

Earlier someone said you can use history to make predictions and know who will be a contender. So before Area I think majority would have put Churchhill in SMBC finals, let alone SMBC. Well obviously you can't use what happened last year or before, because Churchill would have made state if this was true, and well as we can all tell they missed out. Every year is different, the music is different, drill is different, and in some cases staff changes. Schools move up and down in class, and grow/shrink in band members. I feel bad for the Churchhill students, I like the program and the way it was headed, it just came up a few points short. Hope that helps

Edited by TxRaider13

Definetely, if we made it to state last year and got dead last, I would have still been the happiest boy in the world because we made it that far.

Faulty comparison...

I'd say there is a big different between the principles of athletics and of marching band. In athletics the emphasis is placed on conditioning the players, having a cohesive team, and winning because it's a competitive game... One of the main points is to win, no one goes to see a game just to see the art of the sport. In marching band the emphasis is on teaching the students to play music while marching with good execution and creating a cohesive band that can work together to create a show. Then a lot of bands choose to compete. Honestly, whoever wins doesn't really matter as much as how much I liked their show and I think this is true for most audience members who aren't affiliated with a band.

Moral of the story, don't compare two things that have different motives and that if you aren't first you're last crap is stupid in the marching band world.

In marching band the emphasis is on teaching the students to play music while marching with good execution and creating a cohesive band that can work together to create a show.

If a band is getting last, otherwise known as not first (lol), are the directors doing a very good job teaching? What I think you don't understand is that if people were in it just for the fun of it, everyone would be like this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33EQhHFpgA...t=1&index=2

Then a lot of bands choose to compete. Honestly, whoever wins doesn't really matter as much as how much I liked their show and I think this is true for most audience members who aren't affiliated with a band.

Except we're talking about the actual members. OF COURSE THE AUDIENCE ISN'T COMPETING DUHHH. Point is, band, just like sports, is very competitive; from player to player, and band to band, just like player to player, and team to team. Do you want to be a better musician than the people in your section? I'm pretty sure that's a yes, and the same applies to marching band contests. I don't actually believe that if you're not first, you're last, but I do believe in performing at the highest level possible, and making it hard for other bands to pass you up. Despite what you said, our beliefs are just causes and effects of each other. Teaching kids how to play and march well will cause them to place high at contests (which they want to do). You guys got way too riled up about my facetious quote, and now you guys might as well kiss da baby, because this **** is over! B)

btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5zFiYHgftw

So now you are completely changing your opinion? Interesting.

If a band is getting last, otherwise known as not first (lol), are the directors doing a very good job teaching? What I think you don't understand is that if people were in it just for the fun of it, everyone would be like this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33EQhHFpgA...t=1&index=2

Except we're talking about the actual members. OF COURSE THE AUDIENCE ISN'T COMPETING DUHHH. Point is, band, just like sports, is very competitive; from player to player, and band to band, just like player to player, and team to team. Do you want to be a better musician than the people in your section? I'm pretty sure that's a yes, and the same applies to marching band contests. I don't actually believe that if you're not first, you're last, but I do believe in performing at the highest level possible, and making it hard for other bands to pass you up. Despite what you said, our beliefs are just causes and effects of each other. Teaching kids how to play and march well will cause them to place high at contests (which they want to do). You guys got way too riled up about my facetious quote, and now you guys might as well kiss da baby, because this **** is over! B)

btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5zFiYHgftw

Earlier someone said you can use history to make predictions and know who will be a contender. So before Area I think majority would have put Churchhill in SMBC finals, let alone SMBC. Well obviously you can't use what happened last year or before, because Churchill would have made state if this was true, and well as we can all tell they missed out. Every year is different, the music is different, drill is different, and in some cases staff changes. Schools move up and down in class, and grow/shrink in band members. I feel bad for the Churchhill students, I like the program and the way it was headed, it just came up a few points short. Hope that helps

Quite frankly, I disagree with this assessment. The true, unpredictable variable, is UIL judging...especially at area. The fact that all area contests are held on the same weekend, and that most of the most "up-to-date" judges are either directing bands or assisting bands in competition, means you end up with a lot of folks who have been out of the activity for awhile trying to judge an art that had changed and progressed. I also realize that UIL rubrics make it hard for a program like Churchill, who thrives on GE, to impress judges looking at criteria that does not reward many of the efforts programs like Churchill and SFA (Sugarland)...and others attempt to put on the field.