Area D Marching Contest

I wouldn't count P-ville out for a spot in finals either...I think they're doing a Hazo show like Leander if I remember right. They were 10th in Westlake finals, yes, but they were actually 6th in prelims in 5A, just a point or two away from Round Rock. I remember really enjoying their show too.

A good place to look for results is here - http://www.worldofpageantry.com/scores/texas08-results.php

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this is a very stacked areabut what ever happened to reagon? they kind of fell a little in the past few years. they used to be at the top of everything right up there by bell? dont get me wrong im not saying they are bad by any means just not what they used to be

Well for one, they've had a lot of staff changes. A few years ago Mark Chambers left for the Crossmen. They've also had program designers change: Guidry and Nix are both gone now as well.

i know this is a very stacked areabut what ever happened to reagon? they kind of fell a little in the past few years. they used to be at the top of everything right up there by bell? dont get me wrong im not saying they are bad by any means just not what they used to be

In addition to the above staff changes, they also had a new school split off of them.

My personal opinion:

Connally deserved to be going to State. Their musical performance was phenomenal! Everything was so clean, crisp, centered, and clear. I can't believe that one judge gave them 9th in Music. Even just a 7th from that judge would have put Connally in State over Vista Ridge.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Vista Ridge did great as well and very deserving of a State spot, but I personally believe that Connally performed better in the evening.

Xenon, I agree with your evaluation of Connally's musical performance.

It's hard to know what to make of the several wide spreads among the musical judges: Westlake's 1-5-6, Akins' 3-5-9, Church's 4-5-9, and Connally's 3-4-9. (Other than the fact that all these bands are GOOD!)

With such a close platoon of the 4-7th place bands, it's frustrating that the line had to be drawn after 6th.

Would be interested in any insights that anyone has to offer....

My personal opinion:

Connally deserved to be going to State. Their musical performance was phenomenal! Everything was so clean, crisp, centered, and clear. I can't believe that one judge gave them 9th in Music. Even just a 7th from that judge would have put Connally in State over Vista Ridge.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Vista Ridge did great as well and very deserving of a State spot, but I personally believe that Connally performed better in the evening.

We share the same opinion. Although the Connally kids are pretty bummed this morning, I would just like to say that listening to you guys in warm-up was a treat. The guy in the gray dress shirt who was wishing you good luck just as you were leaving warm-up was me. You played very well in the lot. When I watched your Finals performance, I was extremely impressed with the balanced and controlled sound that you all produced. The staff can attest to the fact that I had a smile on my face during your whole performance. Your marching and playing definitely deserved a round-trip ticket to San Antonio.

If it is any consolation, just know that you made a true believer out of me. I was standing before the show was over and I'd do it over again if I had the chance. I consider myself honored to have watched your performance last night. Thank you all for making a believer out of me.

When you have great bands like the ones at finals last night, it's really hard to have consistent judging between them because they are all at such a high level. Yes, you can argue Connaly's 3-4-9 in music...but you can also argue Vista's 3-8 in visual. I really don't know how the judges score all these great bands.

Another though...what happened to Churchill? Was their finals performance not that great? I expected them to be up there with CP.

Anyway, yesterday was a pretty long adventure. After the final results, the Cedar Park students came over to our section and congratulated us, as we did the same. Most of us went to the same schools before, so it was pretty emotional. It was pretty awesome to see the camaraderie between the schools.

I convinced some friends to tag along with me to this contest last night. What a show! This is bar none the deepest area in the state.

I have to agree with Xenon about Connally. I thought they were absolutely in. That was the best they've ever sounded and their individual marching was as impressive as always. Honestly, I was really worried Churchill wouldn't make it. From where I was sitting, they did not have a good run last night. Really great design but sloppy execution. I don't think I've ever seen or heard that many individual errors in a Churchill show. I'm confident they can turn things around by state, and their drop in placement from prelims to finals indicates to me that it was an off performance. However, that rogue 9th in music reflects where I thought they would come out...

As far as the rest of the bands go, Cedar Park and Bowie were in a league of their own. Both bands sound and look phenomenal. I was especially impressed by Bowie's significant improvement in ensemble marching from recent years. And when did their color guard get so good? Best guard of the night (and that's really saying something when Churchill is performing in the same competition.) Westlake and Vista Ridge totally blew me away. So much energy! You could tell those kids were in the zone last night. Akins left me cold at first, but in retrospect they performed really well. I think the narration kind of detracts from the show. They are still stronger visually than musically, but they sounded better than they did two years ago.

Reagan is indeed much smaller and has a very different style, but they had a good performance. I think they should be back on track soon. It just sucks that this transitional phase coincides with a state year. Round Rock and Leander were both solid and clean. They just didn't have the same spark that the advancing bands did. I was quite surprised to see Leander finish 10th, but I think performing after Cedar Park hurt them a bit.

My very unscientific rankings:

1. Cedar Park

2. Bowie

3. Westlake

4. Connally

5. Vista Ridge

6. Akins

7. Round Rock

8. Leander

9. Churchill

10. Reagan

Again, fabulous contest! Even those who didn't advance have much to be proud of. This is truly the best area contest I've ever seen (and trust me I've seen a lot.)

I am a band mom who attended Area D last night. ALL of the bands were amazing and I have no idea how you could narrow it down to just 6 for state. Congratulations to all the bands. I just wanted to say that the Connally band's show was just beautiful and aside from my kids' band (of course ;) ) I thought your show was so entertaining and wonderful. I know you must be feeling disappointed, but you created something really wonderful and moving and you should be very proud. In the end, all of these contests come down to the opinion of a few people on any given day, and you just really have to do something that you know you can be proud of, and that makes you winners! Well done, everyone. Good luck at state!

How was Churchhill's Medea compared to ours? I heard it was entirely different, but still really good.

The interpretation of the music was different. Churchill's seemed a little more lighthearted and scary (hence the words spelled out on the field) while Cedar Park's music seemed more angry and "hateful". Both schools played it very well. I think quite a few of the audience members had a deja vu moment when Churchill started their show.

Well its all good. I am from Connally and play the Euphonium. (for those of you watching our warm-ups I was the kid with the white bandana...) Last night's performance was really good. I was not disappointed one bit. For our first time competing in 5A we did really well. Thank you, people for saying that we should have made it to state, which i think as well, but are who determine our future of the competition. Again i am really proud of my last show as a high school student...it was intense.

The interpretation of the music was different. Churchill's seemed a little more lighthearted and scary (hence the words spelled out on the field) while Cedar Park's music seemed more angry and "hateful". Both schools played it very well. I think quite a few of the audience members had a deja vu moment when Churchill started their show.

sweet, do you know if they're going to B.O.A.? i really want to see it.

I am honestly in a state of shock at this point due to many factors:

1) I still cannot believe that we actually competed with powerhouse bands such as Bowie, Churchill, Akins, Cedar Park, Reagan, etc and came out as well as we did.

2) Obviously I am stunned by the typical odd judging results from a UIL Competition

3) I cannot believe how many individuals have contacted our band either through this board or in person and have said we should have made State.

We the Connally Band are pretty upset about getting seventh and dropping out of state contention. We do however feel extremly proud of the amazing show we put on the field last night and how many people we connected to emotionally. It is apparant that we have made our name known to all the 5As in area D and in two years we wont get stopped mulitiple times while leaving and asked who is Connally. Sometimes the judges will not agree on who was best, sometimes they have different opinons on what a marching band should be, but in the end all we care about is that we are Connally, and we did something very special this weekend and wont forget it for a long time to come.

Thank you all for saying such kind things about our program we really apreciate it and it helps in this time of feeling down. Oh and thanks for the good luck wishes Danpod, believe me I had alot of members asking me who you were and why were you so supportive of us.

We the Connally Band Family wish to extend a big good luck to all the advancing Area D 5As you will represent us very well at State.

I also agree with the understatement of Connally. They went on right after us, and I had doubts about them beating us because their show was fantastic, the music was arranged at a high level and preformed well. One of my favorite shows of the night, and I know that after a first strong year in 5A. They will come back determined to make it in 2010.

So from the scores it looks like Bowie and CP were the obvious top 2 and then 3-7 looks pretty close? Interesting. Should be a fantastic State competition, hopefully I can make it to SA. I think all the Area D bands are capable of finals this year and I fully expect 4 at least. Can anyone post the prelims results?

I am honestly in a state of shock at this point due to many factors:

1) I still cannot believe that we actually competed with powerhouse bands such as Bowie, Churchill, Akins, Cedar Park, Reagan, etc and came out as well as we did.

2) Obviously I am stunned by the typical odd judging results from a UIL Competition

3) I cannot believe how many individuals have contacted our band either through this board or in person and have said we should have made State.

We the Connally Band are pretty upset about getting seventh and dropping out of state contention. We do however feel extremly proud of the amazing show we put on the field last night and how many people we connected to emotionally. It is apparant that we have made our name known to all the 5As in area D and in two years we wont get stopped mulitiple times while leaving and asked who is Connally. Sometimes the judges will not agree on who was best, sometimes they have different opinons on what a marching band should be, but in the end all we care about is that we are Connally, and we did something very special this weekend and wont forget it for a long time to come.

Thank you all for saying such kind things about our program we really apreciate it and it helps in this time of feeling down. Oh and thanks for the good luck wishes Danpod, believe me I had alot of members asking me who you were and why were you so supportive of us.

We the Connally Band Family wish to extend a big good luck to all the advancing Area D 5As you will represent us very well at State.

Yeah!

i was really shocked when i heard you guys weren't going to state!

i remember watching your show last night and thinking "darn, they're pretty sweet this year"

Also, i looked over at my tenor friend (CPtenor) and asking "you think they're going to state?"

hah, he replied with "ohhh, yeah"

You guys did really well and I'm sorry you didn't make it, but i know what its like to try so hard and for some weak judge to screw over the hopes and dreams of the band (fire of eternal glory).

just know that your show was really really good.

good luck guys.

Edited by drummerjake