UIL Realignment 2024-2025

13 hours ago, lhbenlee said:

That is not necessarily true. LISD has rezoning that kicks in starting in Fall of 2024 and it will make a significant difference to all of the schools. This UIL snapshot and realignment are before any rezoning happens so it does not take it into account. The rezoning is specifically designed to address declining numbers at CP, Vista Ridge, and Vandegrift and increasing numbers at Leander, Rouse, and Glenn. The projections are that all LISD schools will be near or within 6A class sizes in the next 2 years based on the middle school populations and re-zoning. A 7th high school is being planned. Here is a link to the district projections. Note that even the 2024-2025 school year would have CP as close to 6A as Leander is now and all other LISD schools in 6A based on the new cutoff. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi13D2Qdqu1GCZkFMjik75H0ln5uvG4J/view

I was going off old #’s and trends from a few years ago looks like these plans are shifting immensely, very similarly to the situation up in Prosper and the Dallas suburbs. The growth up here in Dallas is no joke it’s really exponential.

I still can’t imagine they’ll move up, at least not in the long term. Conference #’s are always shifting, and while CP is growing insanely I think they’ll keep pace with the increments in UIL, keeping in pace to at least consistently be one of the largest schools in 5A.

Give or take a few students though they may end up in 6A for a cycle or three a little bit longer than Leander did from 2017-2020. 

Eventually I do believe CP will fall back into 5A if not veering into 6A territory for a few years, especially with the relief of the new high school.

Yes a new high school would likely knock CP back to 5A after it's built.  If you look at a "reasonable" radius for CP attendance, then the school is basically land-locked.  There is not much buildable space remaining within that footprint.  ONLY something like redistricting shifts, due to populations changes outside of CP's normal footprint, would cause any dramatic increases.  Which is what we're staring down for the next few years.

The new high school will be in the north part of the district and focused on relieving the drastic increases for Glenn and Rouse. It may pull CP and others back down some but with the extreme numbers projected for the northern LISD schools, I also expect continual rezoning to maintain balance so I don't think it's a given that it will be temporary. If 7A is introduced later this decade based on continued population growth in the state, it's all up in the air as you likely get lower cutoffs for 5A and 6A as well which would keep bubble schools in the higher class. I think predicting beyond one cycle right now is a fool's errand.

3 hours ago, lost said:

Glad to hear it! Definitely payback for when they were barely 6A in 2018 (although they handled being 6A incredibly well)

They did handle it quite well indeed!  😍 It was an exciting time to be a part of the program for sure, but I’m happy for them to remain 5A a few more years. There’s growth in the school coming though, and I feel like they will be 6A again very soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

I know the McKinney schools took a massive hit because the senior class currently in the ISD had the remote learning from the get go and resulted in tons of drop-outs, and early graduations (the Boyd senior class for band currently is around 26, which includes the band, percussion, AND guard, typically its around 50-60 normally, and the previous senior class was around 60 for just the band and percussion), so besides rezoning McKinney North to be 6A for a sneaky move up if they wish to (2-5 people below cutoff), its literally a matter of phasing out the current seniors before all the schools repopulate and North moves up

Although Im on the other side of the realignment spectrum in curiosity, are we going to see major area and region rezonings with 6A state slots going down considerably while North Texas is gaining both population and standard of music/sports exponentially? Because to me it doesnt seem sustainable to leave things as is, open to anyones thought

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 1:20 PM, BandFan95 said:

6 days we find out who goes where.

1 day where my dream of another 6A area for North Texas gets crushed lol

In all seriousness I hope it doesn't stay the same, its gonna be crappy for Area B and C in particular if zero rezoning happens

The UIL site had a message saying it had suspended all other web pages and web traffic on its entire site between 9 AM and noon, and the only available page would be the new UIL Districts page.

I guess high school football is kind of a big deal here in Texas... :)

Anyway, glad to see that at least we won't have to travel from Cedar Park all the way to College Station for the next 2 years.  Furthest roadtrips are Lake Belton and Killeen.

In 2022, CP not only had to travel to College Station twice in the same season, but in back-to- back weeks in the middle of October.

So here are some of the bigger/more notable changes/non changes: 

Forney, Foster and Princeton to 6A 

DeSoto and Lakeview Centennial stay 6A per request 

Highland Park, Weiss, Keller Fossil Ridge, New Braunefels, Anderson and Chisholm Trail from 6A-5A 

Anna and Kaufman from 4A-5A 

my biggest takeaway is Weiss back down to 5A. Area D was already competitive enough, and while the past 2 seasons weren’t their best, they are still a super strong program and we could definitely see them back at state this coming season. I’m also very excited to see how NB does in 5A! They’ve been a program on the rise post-Covid, making area finals in 21 and barely being out in 22/23. If I had to guess, they will also be joining area D, and I’d l of for them to make state this coming season. It will also be very interesting to see how Fossil ridge does in 5A and Forney in 6A. I do also think it’s going to take some time for Anna, much like Melissa, to cement itself as a powerhouse program much like they were in 4A. Seeing that they will almost certainly be in Area B, they are going to be one of the smaller programs, unless of course their numbers grow, but I don’t think it will be long before we seem them in area finals 

5 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

So here are some of the bigger/more notable changes/non changes: 

Forney, Foster and Princeton to 6A 

DeSoto and Lakeview Centennial stay 6A per request 

Highland Park, Weiss, Keller Fossil Ridge, New Braunefels, Anderson and Chisholm Trail from 6A-5A 

Anna and Kaufman from 4A-5A 

my biggest takeaway is Weiss back down to 5A. Area D was already competitive enough, and while the past 2 seasons weren’t their best, they are still a super strong program and we could definitely see them back at state this coming season. I’m also very excited to see how NB does in 5A! They’ve been a program on the rise post-Covid, making area finals in 21 and barely being out in 22/23. If I had to guess, they will also be joining area D, and I’d l of for them to make state this coming season. It will also be very interesting to see how Fossil ridge does in 5A and Forney in 6A. I do also think it’s going to take some time for Anna, much like Melissa, to cement itself as a powerhouse program much like they were in 4A. Seeing that they will almost certainly be in Area B, they are going to be one of the smaller programs, unless of course their numbers grow, but I don’t think it will be long before we seem them in area finals 

You have any idea on how Area C-B could change? With 6A B losing 2 state slots I severely doubt itll stay the same

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Here’s what I think could possibly happen. For 5A, move the region 25 bands from area B to C. While HP is coming back, they are losing Forney and Pine Tree and possibly others, while area B has only been growing, with the additions of Argyle, Melissa, Anna, plus new schools like Emerson, Walnut Grove, and I’d guess next cycle Panther Creek. I think moving bands like Sherman, Lovejoy, Melissa and Anna from 25 to Area C would one, increase the quality of the area and two, give those programs a solid shot at making state intended of having to compete with state finalist every year. I think it’s something that needs to happen and hopefully does. 

In terms of 6A, in my opinion, they just need to make a new area for North Texas. I think I’ve said this in a previous post, but put it in the new prosper or mckinney stadium, and make it the bands from McKinney, Prosper, Allen, now Princeton, Wylie and Plano schools from C, and the Richardson/ very north Dallas schools and Coppell. Having Coppell their allows for a bar to be set, but this would already be a 20+ area, maybe even take the closer bands from Garland ISD like Sachse and have them come here, but something needs to change and I think this is an easy and fair solution 

I feel the same way, although I think they wont add a new area until 7A so its not multiple waves of changes

On 2/1/2024 at 9:43 PM, Tubalord11 said:

In terms of 6A, in my opinion, they just need to make a new area for North Texas. I think I’ve said this in a previous post, but put it in the new prosper or mckinney stadium, and make it the bands from McKinney, Prosper, Allen, now Princeton, Wylie and Plano schools from C, and the Richardson/ very north Dallas schools and Coppell. Having Coppell their allows for a bar to be set, but this would already be a 20+ area, maybe even take the closer bands from Garland ISD like Sachse and have them come here, but something needs to change and I think this is an easy and fair solution 

This does not seem likely. Region 31 will still contain Southlake, Coppell, Bell, Trinity, and Haltom. https://align.tmea.org/Align_2426/tmeamapregion.php?region=31

24 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

This does not seem likely. Region 31 will still contain Southlake, Coppell, Bell, Trinity, and Haltom. https://align.tmea.org/Align_2426/tmeamapregion.php?region=31

True, so they’d either have to put Coppell elsewhere or make a new region idk, they wouldn’t move Bell and Trinity since the current B is at their stadium, but still something needs to change 

Based on a preliminary look at the map:

-All 33 regions remain for this alignment cycle

-Wichita Falls ISD joins region 2

-Fort Worth ISD joins region 30

-Mt. Pleasant ISD, Marshall ISD, and Texarkana ISD all joining region 21

It looks like there will not be huge shakeups in the Region/Area alignments for this year, unless different regions get grouped together for area marching, which seems unlikely given how little has changed in region composition. Otherwise, I think we will be seeing the same bloodbaths across the state at the area level as last year.

• 1 month later...

Welp, TMEA added a 2426 alignment thats visible when googling so I suppose this is fair game to post, and they officially created Area J consisting of 2, 24.. and 25… hopefully some schools get moved around because lets be honest, the only winners are going to be LISD and a toss up between Prosper and Wylie if the current system stays in place, even with McKinney Boyd there was a point gap between them and WEast, and WEast wasnt even top 5 lol, anything else catch anyones eye? Heres the link: https://align.tmea.org/align_2426/index.php

70F97035-6363-484B-9A6A-C659D0C81211.jpeg

1 hour ago, TrenBS said:

Welp, TMEA added a 2426 alignment thats visible when googling so I suppose this is fair game to post, and they officially created Area J consisting of 2, 24.. and 25… hopefully some schools get moved around because lets be honest, the only winners are going to be LISD and a toss up between Prosper and Wylie if the current system stays in place, even with McKinney Boyd there was a point gap between them and WEast, and WEast wasnt even top 5 lol, anything else catch anyones eye? Heres the link: https://align.tmea.org/align_2426/index.php

70F97035-6363-484B-9A6A-C659D0C81211.jpeg

5A Alignment looks a bit like a hot mess...

Waxahachie is now in area J instead of Area B. Area B looks a lot smaller, we'll have to see how the numbers pan out. Waxahachie also likely won't stay at their current size for much longer so that will be interesting to see. Only area's B and C were altered it looks like, unless the regions were redrawn which I doubt. 

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

5A Alignment looks a bit like a hot mess...

Waxahachie is now in area J instead of Area B. Area B looks a lot smaller, we'll have to see how the numbers pan out. Waxahachie also likely won't stay at their current size for much longer so that will be interesting to see. Only area's B and C were altered it looks like, unless the regions were redrawn which I doubt. 

I was frankly hoping for more regions for marching band, as it stands Area J has FOUR state slots at BEST, with LISD in the area, Im sorry but that is such a stupid move to put them in the brand new area with only 3 regions being comprised of it, so you essentially are forcing the other 18 bands to compete for a SINGLE spot, if its even open with 2+ Dv.2s, while LISD floats to state every year cause the only school that has the potential to compete for top 3 would probably be Prosper given a couple years at best.

I hope more changes come, because TMEA/UIL essentially just gave LISD a monopoly and are forcing 5+ state qualifiers that would place comfortably in the top 25 to compete for a single spot, which is not including like 2 dark horses that could really throw a curveball