Discontinuing Color Guard

Laura Crook

The Round Rock High School Color Guard was informed by the band director today in class that he is terminating the color guard program after this year. He is replacing them with a dance team. My daughter started color guard in the 7th grade and is now a freshman. She was planning on doing guard in college. Now she feels like her entire world is ending. She eats breaths and sleeps guard. It’s all she does. In less than 5 minutes one man destroyed her goals, hopes, and dreams. He didn’t bat an eye or even appear to care. 45 girls are now devastated. Has anyone else experienced this? This band made finals at state, boa super regional in San Antonio and at grand nationals. I think I will probably pull my kid and send her to another school. Kids in high school can be really mean. When your kid finds where she fits in after being excluded and picked on and then that is taken away is detrimental to a teenager’s emotional health. Please help me.

4 hours ago, gregorydf01 said:

Already at 5K signatures, close to double RR's total student population. I think we see some Austin area news coverage tonight regarding this situation.

It's official, they have decided to keep the guard and add the dance team. All I'll say is this: As a band director, your main priority should be students, not scores.

To all those who defended Round Rock's guard either on social media, here, Reddit, or anywhere else, you are all rock stars. I am so happy to hear that you succeeded, and good luck with your future seasons!