2024 WGI Discussion Thread

Speaking of Arcadia, I just saw their Bakersfield results over on the WGI site. 92.4. They may have that (silver?) medal on lock.

Tarpon's score actually dropped slightly in finals at the Stuart regional. I feel like that only typically happens if the run is noticeably worse than prelims. 89.8 for them.

That 2nd through 6th group will be very interesting. It seems like they're all trending 95+. Arcadia and Carmel seem to have the edge over Tarpon and Fishers. Meanwhile, The Woodlands is absent. Their seeding score will be 6 weeks old by the time we finally see them again at Dayton.

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Avon Carmel and Fishers were all amazing! Fishers and Carmel were much cleaner, and Avon just blew the roof off, holy crap! Does anyone know the record for SW, bc they really are looking to set a new one, un-freaking believable 

98.95 set by Avon in 2019. tho James Logan '05 is still *objectively* the best show in the class ever lol.

in other news both Sac and Fuse overtake Paramount in the standings, close tho. my prediction of Fusion becoming the next new IW champ may come true a season sooner than i expected, helps that there isn't a Gaines show at the top of the mix this yr lol. we'll see, still kinda emotionally cold on Fusion's show but it's def fresher than the other two and has the best staging.

4 minutes ago, packwick said:

98.95 set by Avon in 2019. tho James Logan '05 is still *objectively* the best show in the class ever lol.

in other news both Sac and Fuse overtake Paramount in the standings, close tho. my prediction of Fusion becoming the next new IW champ may come true a season sooner than i expected, helps that there isn't a Gaines show at the top of the mix this yr lol. we'll see, still kinda emotionally cold on Fusion's show but it's def fresher than the other two and has the best staging.

Thank you! I'd say scores seem about right, looking at the recap it looks like GE is what hurt Fisher but they are still moderately close to Carmel in the other categories, tied them in design analysis, and Avon with a 94.05! 

9 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Thank you! I'd say scores seem about right, looking at the recap it looks like GE is what hurt Fisher but they are still moderately close to Carmel in the other categories, tied them in design analysis, and Avon with a 94.05! 

for reference, Avon got like a 94.5 in 2019 at the last power regional, which was only a week or two before Dayton, not 3 weeks. so yes they will probably comfortably top their own record. fine w/ that. i like this one WAY more.

welp i actually ended up being wrong about the rankings of the top tx guards dropping after this weekend. think y'all are right about the "brake pumping" on the scores.

final standings will be released on Tues. grand oaks should still be 5th in A, Marcus will move up to 1st in open, if they're even going lol, why not Coppell too?? (that woulda been a huge shift from not even making semis last yr.) woodlands will actually move up w/ their 3-week old score into a 3rd place tie w/ Tarpon in world class. was really expecting all three of Carmel, fishers, and tarpon to squeak out 90s in finals w/ the double panels. maybe the fact that a few on the panel at mideast had seen tw kept the scores a little lower, two of those judges in particular gave some of the lowest scores at mideast.

three weeks to go.

Fishers ranked 8th really doesn't sit well with me, although based on the fact that they nearly 3-pointed Warren Central earlier in the season, I think there's a good chance the Stuart scores were a little inflated relative to the Mideast ones.

Of course, there's a chance Warren Central has simply gotten much better. They did beat Tarpon in Design Analysis, although I don't think Tarpon's staging is as strong this year as it was last year.

Lots to digest with all these scores, and a decent amount of time left for some of the units to jump up!

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

Fishers ranked 8th really doesn't sit well with me, although based on the fact that they nearly 3-pointed Warren Central earlier in the season, I think there's a good chance the Stuart scores were a little inflated relative to the Mideast ones.

Of course, there's a chance Warren Central has simply gotten much better. They did beat Tarpon in Design Analysis, although I don't think Tarpon's staging is as strong this year as it was last year.

Lots to digest with all these scores, and a decent amount of time left for some of the units to jump up!

oh fishers will be fine. i wouldn't worry about them.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:41 AM, Rubisco said:

The question of how to balance the "what" with the "how" will always be a thorny one in this activity -- really in any activity where artistry and athleticism collide. There was a similar situation between the University of Minnesota and the Ohio State University in the national jazz dance competition a couple months ago. Everyone was blown away by the insane talent of the UofM performers. (They went viral! Sort of!) As a full ensemble, the UofM performers were doing fouette turns into aerials, landing on one foot and going right back into the fouette turns. It was crazy to see how cleanly they did those difficult steps. But then OSU's choreography was much better written, with clearer expressive and story-telling qualities; it didn't just feel like a routine. Guess who won? 😉

That U of M show was just phenomenal to watch. OSU as well, but I really loved Dream On!

LOL these college dance routines are pitched at such a furious pace. they're really trying to cram in as many skills as possible, rack up those points. also everything is articulated with a sledgehammer. technically impressive but makes me appreciate the wider dynamic range of winter guards, tho their skills are much more basic.

also, also!, funnnny seeing Travis Wall mentioned in the comments as the choreographer for OSU, isn't he canceled for grooming a student or something? making his comeback in the college scene lol. now's wgi's chance to get him on the cheap!! just only have him work with girls!!! 

he's no Kenneth MacMillan in terms of talent but who is??? gosh im getting excited for ballet again. i can't wait to see Mayerling in May!!!

@packwick Bold prediction not including Carmel in the top 3 for Scholastic World. They haven't missed the podium since 2009. 🤯

That said, re-watching the most recent videos, I think Arcadia makes a suitable "replacement." The staging and choreography are both very Carmel-like, for obvious reasons. Of course, there's a decent possibility that BOTH Arcadia and Carmel medal over The Woodlands, which would honestly shock me, given the record-setting breadth of talent in TWHS, not to mention the sheer emotional impact of the show, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been shocked by WGI. Not even close. 😂 And that doesn't even include Tarpon, who's going into the competition seeded in 3rd. Now that I think about, I'm not sure what my exact top 3 would be, which is part of the excitement of this class. It's very competitive, besides the very top. I am, of course, partial to Fishers, but they didn't really score like a future medalist at Mideast.

Anyway, I think the prelims schedule is great, because it's going to give us several direct comparisons. Arcadia and Carmel in block two (plus Fishers just a couple after) and then Avon and The Woodlands closing out block three. Tarpon will be on their own island in the first block probably, but they'll get a better comparison in semifinals.

16 hours ago, Rubisco said:

@packwick Bold prediction not including Carmel in the top 3 for Scholastic World. They haven't missed the podium since 2009. 🤯

i calls them likes i sees them. been doin this too long to care about history or anybody else's opinion for that matter LOL.

both shows are interesting and effective but arcadia overall has the clearer and more aesthetically appealing staging design, even if thematically it's kinda whatever. Carmel is cleaner atm. both have fairly persistent timing issues upstairs but arcadia has more of them + a higher proportion of obvious errors like drops. nevertheless i suspect design elements will put arcadia on top as long as they can narrow the performance gap a little bit in 3 weeks. obvious split in the captions at their recent contest b/w the what/how. easy to see why.

2 hours ago, packwick said:

both shows are interesting and effective but arcadia overall has the clearer and more aesthetically appealing staging design, even if thematically it's kinda whatever.

I think the thematic part is probably why I personally prefer Carmel in terms of overall effect. It touches me on a deeper level. It also seems like a big risk to have high school kids perform it. That said, I completely see what you mean aesthetically. Carmel's staging is a little bit more unfocused than Arcadia's, and the somewhat goopy fabric isn't always very clean looking.

Anyway, I don't know what will happen at Dayton. I'm turning my attention back to the local Texas circuits. This weekend is a dead week, but next weekend is state, just a few days before Dayton. I've got my fingers crossed we get some video leaks!

On 2/18/2024 at 1:39 AM, packwick said:

videos are uploading to the drive. will prob take another hour or so to complete.

ill have u know my vids r better than the ones on YouTube!! btdubs. higher up, more of the action, and filmed in 4k, tho google may cap it at 1080p.

Where would the drive link be?? Asking for a friend…

On 3/28/2024 at 11:13 AM, jamminsalmon_ said:

Where would the drive link be?? Asking for a friend…

i can message it to you. there's not much recent on it guard wise. it's mostly for historical band performances, and most of those have leaked onto yt and other drives shortly after me sharing the link w/ ppl a few years ago lol. not surprising.

3 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Hey everyone! Hope everybody had a great Easter weekend! As we are approaching the championships for WGI, I went ahead and made a schedule for the Texas bands for SA and SO in Texas time! The schedules are massive and so for anyone who doesn't want to have to deal with switching between schedules/time-zones, here's all the times for the Texas guards in SO in SA. The world class schedule is much easier to follow. As for me, I will definitely be watching finals for all three classes and will cover as many groups as I can after my Thursday/Friday classes are finished. I'll be able to catch all the SA guards on Thursday except Prosper and all but the first four groups of SO. Hopefully I'll be back in time for Tarpon, if not I'll miss the first block of SW but will be back for the other 2!  Have no idea what Friday will look like, but we'll know when the time comes. Only a week and a half until the end of the season, which is crazy as it feels like it started last week, but I'm super pumped to see all the guards compete one last time!! 

WGI Prelims Texas guard times - Google Docs 

you forgot bowie😅

11 hours ago, packwick said:

i can message it to you. there's not much recent on it guard wise. it's mostly for historical band performances, and most of those have leaked onto yt and other drives shortly after me sharing the link w/ ppl a few years ago lol. not surprising.

If you could message me it, I would greatly appreciate it :D