Cadets to add human voice to 06 show...

Moose

From George Hokins himself...

Cadets to Add the Human Voice to the 2006 Production

A year or so ago, following the 2004 season, there was a questionnaire filled in by the corps members. At such time, the message was clear -- the students wanted to be a part of a corps that stretched the limits of what the corps was about. They knew the tradition, and they also knew the innovation. Frankly, they were encouraging us to choose innovation. The 2005 show was the result of this return to the non-traveled path, and the journey continues in 2006. We have looked for concept, creations, and coordination options that are not the usual. One addition to the show in 2006 is voice.

Despite the fact that we are aware some are less than happy with the addition, we believe the emotion of voice adds a new element to what we are offering the audience, as well as the members. Yes, sometimes, voice can be used for narration, but in this piece, the color and mood added is nothing that brass instruments can emulate.

This is a first recording and of course there is much to work out:

Volume issues

I have a link to the recording, but it doesn't work. I emailed George, but he probably won't get back to me before tomorrow anyway.

I may be the only one, but I am very excited about this innovation. It doesn't even matter if you like it or not, you should be glad that this activity is evolving. The Cadets are stretching it in a new direction, and if you don't like it, you can be sure someone else is stretching it the other way. That is what I love about Drum Corps.

QUOTE (Moose @ Feb 28 2006, 07:39 PM)
I may be the only one, but I am very excited about this innovation. It doesn't even matter if you like it or not, you should be glad that this activity is evolving. The Cadets are stretching it in a new direction, and if you don't like it, you can be sure someone else is stretching it the other way. That is what I love about Drum Corps.

Agreed.

If you know me, you know that I am all for groups taking risks, being different and pushing the envelope.

The direction that some corps, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, The Cadets, have taken over the past couple of years have made me even more excited about drum corps.

Prepare for flame (no pun intended) at the mention of woodwinds ("wood"...hence the hint at "punnage"...I'm lame) in drum corps :)

I think the Cadets hornline will perform the heck out of the ballad. The singing, I suppose, has potential, but I'm not all for it. I find it more suited for a large hall or something with reverb. The soloist alone on a mic (assuming they don't add reverb and the such via sound board, having no idea whether or not that's allowed) I don't think fits quite right with the ambience the hornline is providing. I get an Enya vibe, or Gladiator soundtrack feeling. Granted, this may all be provoked by my dislike of amp usage. I marched with amps. I'm allowed to not like them.

:D

But, what I say doesn't matter, as the Cadets will sell it no matter what. Hopefully good stuff is on the horizon.

If you don't like it, don't watch the show.

I personally think that its going to sound beautiful once they get the balance right. If anybody can pull off a blend of amped and acoustic, I think the Cadets could do it.

While I wasn't too much of a fan of last year's show, this SOUNDS wonderful. Now I just gotta' see it.

I personally think that its going to sound beautiful once they get the balance right. If anybody can pull off a blend of amped and acoustic, I think the Cadets could do it.

Why can't anyone else pull of the balance?

....but like I said: I will make my judgement on the show after DCI SA.