Cadets to add human voice to 06 show...

Moose

Amped singing is more legit than say, amped speaking or an amped pit even.

I say this because singing is NOT an easy thing to do, it takes talent and practice. Also, its a completely acoustic instrument, but its not one that can easily be heard, where as a pit can be heard just fine unamped, and speaking something doesn't take horribly much talent (yes drumspeak does, but set that aside).

So I don't have too much of a problem with it.

I suppose that is true, but I think that while amplifying may take away in some of the mental perception aspects of seeing the show live, the fact of the matter is that DCI is not just some sort of a game or sport, it is an art form, and the use of voice brings in expanded media to apply into the art allowing for a broader and more cutting range of artistic application. That being said, if your are so opposed to the amplifying of the performer, perhaps they should simply use a lot of performers? I think having a harmonizing line or two rather than just a solo line would help the voice have greater impact anyway. Although, I'm not sure of how the rules apply to vocal performers in respect to the number of people allowed to perform with the corp. There's more to talk about too, really, but I need to get back to my homework.

It's not exactly the corp style, I'll admit. Although, I have to say that I would love to see (not in DCI or anything like that, but somewhere) basically a unitying of many different music mediums together in a marching show styled epic. You know, like a massive band, a full choral, a full orchestra, electronic instrumentation, modern style instruments (ie, guitars, elec. basses), all kinds of stuff. It would be a massive undertaking to both put it together and to actually write a piece of mujsic worthy of such a gathering. But that's neither here nor there I suppose...

I wouldn't like to see it as some "epic", perse, that would come off as a special on WCET or some local station. Rather, I'd like to see it incorporated subtley (spell check thatun) into the show. For example, marchers coming into the pit to play amped string instruments, or a section of about 30 girls going off and singing a women's choir part. Not so much being there the whole time, but being used when neccesary.

Lol, oh ye' of little faith. I think you could make something untouchable with such resources. I can understand your sentiment of it becoming a sort of elevator music or generally cheesy type of song, but that's why composing it would be such a great undertaking. Insetad of having people change instruments and whatnot, instead the balance would be set to where instruments that you wouldn't have had playing you simply set as background lines. But man, if a person could nail it, I mean really nail it, that would totally kick ****.

People have sung on field before, Southwind did it last year, the Cadets back in the day...

Now as to a seperate group out there singing, dunno' about that.

Crown 04 is the only amplified singing (not voice) put on the field so far.

Southwind 05 was completely unamped... and that includes pit.

... as was old school Cadets

-C

• 3 weeks later...
Crown 04 is the only amplified singing (not voice) put on the field so far.

Southwind 05 was completely unamped... and that includes pit.

... as was old school Cadets

-C

BEEF!!!!

I just saw that show for the first time yesterday (Cadets 96), and even though I still don't understand it, it was funny :P