UIL 6A Area B 2023

1 hour ago, Starwar said:

This has gotta be a joke ranking right? Coppell is nowhere near first, I have no idea why people rank them so high, they are probably going to miss state. LD Bell is currently the best band in Texas (I mean, have you seen them?), while Timber Creek is certainly good they aren’t quite as good as LD Bell, though if they improve they might have a shot at winning state. Duncanville definitely has a shot at state, I think Waxahachie 4th, Keller 5th, and KC 6th.

Sorry, what band beat Bell by like 5 points?

1 hour ago, Starwar said:

This has gotta be a joke ranking right? Coppell is nowhere near first, I have no idea why people rank them so high, they are probably going to miss state. LD Bell is currently the best band in Texas (I mean, have you seen them?), while Timber Creek is certainly good they aren’t quite as good as LD Bell, though if they improve they might have a shot at winning state. Duncanville definitely has a shot at state, I think Waxahachie 4th, Keller 5th, and KC 6th.

Timber beat them

24 minutes ago, onceatuba said:

How did KC do??

Omg KC’s sound is sooo big and heavy. They move incredibly well like in the opening moment where they have that assembling triangular formation. The brass’s articulation is super crisp, the woodwinds features are tight as drum. I was impressed by how well they handled those long, lyrical phrases in the ballad, and doing so while on the move and handling the spread between the performers well (members having to listen to other members from what I believe was the 30 yard line on both sides). The show’s angst kept the audience on the edge of their seats and the band’s proficiency was greatly appreciated 

Did yall see what I did there? I didn’t even intend for that pun until after I thought about it!

4 minutes ago, balumni2023 said:

I’m a Bell alumni. If you want to hear my take, Coppell has consistently improved in recent years to become one of the best bands in the state. Not to say that Bell isn’t, they’re a legendary program, but they aren’t currently at the level that Coppell is, which is why I believe that they are still one of the frontrunners to be the area champion. 

Am I upset that Bell isn’t the best? No. Why would I be? Even if Bell isn’t the best marching band in the state, which is a subjective title by the way, they are definitely back on track to the level of success they experienced in 2019. And I’m more than pleased with that.

Agree with everything, except the subjective part. Reminds me of the dinner scene in Whiplash when someone asks, "How do you win a music competition, isn't it subjective?" and the main character just says no lol.

8 minutes ago, Olaf said:

How was Lake Ridge?

I love watching big bands do their thing. I think their wind ensemble was a state finalist at TMEA Honor band? I can see why! I loved those trombone glissandos in the ballad because I thought it portrayed the theme of light refraction nicely. They were great with handling Shostakovich’s 10th since that’s a piece with a lot more angst to it due to the minor key signature, I think that makes tuning between the voices more tricky. And the woodwinds were great with that well-known feature from the symphony. I also loved that brass chorale in the beginning because they were so mature with their balance and blend 

8 minutes ago, balumni2023 said:

I’m a Bell alumni. If you want to hear my take, Coppell has consistently improved in recent years to become one of the best bands in the state. Not to say that Bell isn’t, they’re a legendary program, but they aren’t currently at the level that Coppell is, which is why I believe that they are still one of the frontrunners to be the area champion. 

Am I upset that Bell isn’t the best? No. Why would I be? Even if Bell isn’t the best marching band in the state, which is a subjective title by the way, they are definitely back on track to the level of success they experienced in 2019. And I’m more than pleased with that.

What years did you march at Bell? I’m an alum as well

29 minutes ago, Trumpetlord25 said:

How was the Lake highlands band 

Omg their guard soloist was the bomb! Even after dropping their first toss they just kept preserving like a pro! They were so talented! The guard really stood out to me for such a small ensemble 

The whole group stood out for good they were for their size. I was not expecting such a strong sound! Really enjoyed watching them

2 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Anyone catch Keller's performance?

Don’t sleep on Keller this year! I mean my goodness I haven’t heard superior control in phrases that long all day! Their sound is sooo freaking full, balanced, well blended, all the good adjectives you can think of! Their technique is clean as a whistle. The composition really allows you to hear the different voices in the ensemble not just in the brass but also in the woodwinds. That raises the demand considerably and 

and that trumpet feature in the beginning was something else entirely. It was like you were being transcended into another plane of existence 

so yeah I liked it lol