UIL 6A Area B 2023

Yeah I agree with you for the most part. I'd say Coppell, Keller and Waxahachie are locks, and it's between Duncanville, Southlake Carroll, Lake Ridge, Keller Central, Timber Creek and LD Bell for the other spots. But I really hope Lake Ridge makes it this year because they are the only band in this list that has not made state in 6A yet.

So I feel like not a lot of people really dig deep into this contest as really only the state level bands are talked about so I decided to make an early season prediction of the placements. I'll update and make some changes here and there, and then I'll make a final prediction, probably the week before area.

1. Coppell

2. Waxahachie 

3. Keller

4. Bell

5. Duncanville 

6. Lake Ridge

7. Timber Creek

8. Southlake Carroll 

9. Keller Central

10. Martin

11. Haltom

12. Lake Highlands 

13. Berkner

14. Highland Park

15. Boswell

16. Trinity

17. Pearce

18. North Crowley

19. Fossil Ridge 

20. Mansfield

21.  Chisholm Trail 

22.  Legacy

23. Nimitz

24.  Richardson

25. South Grand Prairie

26. Crowley

27. Arlington 

28.  Paschal

29.  Lamar

30. Weatherford 

31. Irving

32. MacArthur 

33. DeSoto

34 Cedar Hill

35. Skyline

36. Bowie 

37. Sam Houston 

38. Grand Prairie

Note that this is EVERY band in area B. We won't know exactly who will all be in this contest until Region results come out.

2 hours ago, littlejaw said:

I’ll probably sound like a broken record, but Keller should still be the standard even with the director change.

If a group can beat Keller they should win and be in State Finals. Can’t wait to see some of the performances to see who has the it factor this year.

I think right now the band to beat is Coppell! Last year both Waxahachie and Timber Creek finished ahead of Keller in finals, but I do agree with what you’re trying to say. Unfortunately it seems that beating them here doesn’t mean anything come state, but regardless of you can beat Keller it’s definitely a good sign 

33 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I think right now the band to beat is Coppell! Last year both Waxahachie and Timber Creek finished ahead of Keller in finals, but I do agree with what you’re trying to say. Unfortunately it seems that beating them here doesn’t mean anything come state, but regardless of you can beat Keller it’s definitely a good sign 

Last year I would have given you that Coppell was better than Keller. Waxahachie I didn’t quite see it, but yes they did make finals. Timber Creek over Keller was a big surprise to me that seemed more correct at State.

16 minutes ago, vandi said:

Supeerrrrr excited for Duncanville show this year. Their theme is a very interesting theme with good music, and ive also heard that they have a different uniform for every section. Which will be amazing visually on the field.

Thier show is the one i'm looking forward to seeing the most this year! Ill be at boa prosper and am super excited to see what they are bringing to the field this season! 

12 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Keller was a mess at Area last year and they would be the first ones to tell you that.  They turned into themselves when they got to San Antonio, hence the placement change.  Early returns this year are that they feel this may be their best show to date.  I saw a very early video, but they were moving better and sounding better than I can remember at this point.... ever.  

15 minutes ago, bancl said:

Keller was a mess at Area last year and they would be the first ones to tell you that.  They turned into themselves when they got to San Antonio, hence the placement change.  Early returns this year are that they feel this may be their best show to date.  I saw a very early video, but they were moving better and sounding better than I can remember at this point.... ever.  

That’s great! I knew something must have been off at area for them to get 4th! Really excited to see them at boa Proper! I think they could surprise some people at nats

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Does anyone know what's up with Crowley HS? They are listed as a 5A band on texasmusicforms.com, as well as the TMEA website. On TMEA, they are listed as a 6A (5A) band for some reason. But then they are on the Area B 6A Draw Order, but not the Area F 5A Draw Order. I was wondering if someone had any information?

most likely a mis-type on Texas Forums

So I just wanted to give some recognition to James Bowie and Grand Prairie. Obviously no one really talks about them because they are both small bands and have gotten 2's in recent years, but after watching them, I think they are good for their size. While visually, both of them are kind of a mess, musically they are actually clean. In fact, they are probably cleaner than some bands that have advanced in the past. Although they will probably not get that far, I think they are both on track to getting 1st division and advance to area, which means more bands, and more opportunity for the higher bands to advance to state. Here's a livestream of their game. Bowie performs at around 2:11:00 and Grand Prairie performs at around 2:22:00. 

24 minutes ago, randomguardkid07 said:

i know a lot of people were counting on martin to make finals, but they seem to be having a hard time adjusting this year. (though maybe they’ll pull it together before area!) anyone have any guesses on who could take their place in that finals spot ?

There are a couple of options, like Fossil Ridge, Haltom, and Boswell. And my dark horses are really North Crowley and Paschal. Really need to look out for them, as they are completely different ensembles compared to last year. They might even be able to steal a finalist spot if they're really lucky.

Alright, so it looks like most UIL region contests are happening this week. We have Region 30 (non Keller ISD) and Region 5, on 10/10, Region 20 on 10/11, and Region 30 (Keller ISD) on 10/12. Region 31 has theirs the next week on 10/17. It looks like we have a total of 38 bands in this area, which means we would have a maximum of 12 area finalists and 7 state advancers. I feel confident that all Region 30/31 bands will advance, but there are a few Region 5/20 bands that worry me, including but not limited to:

Grand Prairie

Sam Houston

Bowie

Lamar

Cedar Hill

Skyline

DeSoto 

MacArthur

Irving

So, at least 1 of these bands need to get 1's to have 12 finalists and at least 6 need to get 1's to send 7 bands to state. This is going to be an interesting week for sure.

4 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Alright, so it looks like most UIL region contests are happening this week. We have Region 30 (non Keller ISD) and Region 5, on 10/10, Region 20 on 10/11, and Region 30 (Keller ISD) on 10/12. Region 31 has theirs the next week on 10/17. It looks like we have a total of 37 bands in this area, which means we would have a maximum of 12 area finalists and 7 state advancers. I feel confident that all Region 30/31 bands will advance, but there are a few Region 5/20 bands that worry me, including but not limited to:

Grand Prairie

Sam Houston

Bowie

Lamar

Cedar Hill

Skyline

DeSoto 

MacArthur

Irving

So, at least 2 of these bands need to get 1's to have 12 finalists and at least 7 need to get 1's to send 7 bands to state. This is going to be an interesting week for sure.

if Area B was able to send 7 to state I'd be so happy, one more band that's able to go always a great thing! 

17 minutes ago, Jacob2017 said:

Just like to casually throw out that SGP won the Midlo contest this past Saturday, but I'm not too sure who all they were competing against.

It was a very “easy” comp, with Poteet really being the only notable band there this year, not a very stacked comp, but they do seem to be having a good season so far! 

1 minute ago, BandNerd07 said:

So we just got got the Regiom 30 results and it's perfect throughout the entire region. All 1's from the following bands:

Boswell

Chisholm Trail

Crowley 

North Crowley 

Weatherford

So that's 5 bands we know for sure will be at area. Region 5 also has their contest today so we'll get the results from there later tonight.

Congrat's to ya'll! Hope more bands make it throughout the rest of Area B so that more bands can advance