UIL 6A Area C 2023

Dave609

48 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Time for my forum break! Good luck to the state bound bands!

Ok, one more post because heard something interesting. 

A lot of post about why did band xyz not make finals or why did Zyx make it, etc etc. 

This forum has been really consistent pointing out how hard this area would be to make finals and state  

Since 2018, so last 5 years…there are ONLY 5 schools that have made Finals each of those years!

Hebron, Flomo, Marcus, Wylie, and Rockwall

So, that’s 7 spots that have been up for grabs every year. If this year wasn’t your bands year, maybe next year! Can’t take anything for granted!

1 hour ago, Luke Hoggins said:

Lakeview, really interested in the difference between their prelims and finals run as they were a pleasant and new surprise for most.

*gears turning in my head trying to remember their show* ⚙️ ⚙️ 

*checks YouTube* “Oh right that show!” 

Superb sonority during that trombone feature in the opener. I love that tune! I remember Marcus playing it in their 2018 show.

That drill formation with the big line moving through the big circle was impressive because of the demand required to execute. A very deserving finalist group who’s shown considerable improvement over the season

35 minutes ago, Saxplayer6 said:

Wylie East and Hebron 

Omg Wylie East immediately stood out to me with the mastery of their marching technique at faster tempos. And I loved that brass feature with all the fast slurs and double-tonguing. The talent level was definitely different from some of the groups I saw at Area B. 

My souls is currently trying to re-enter my body after watching their performance yesterday! Lol My goodness, they are a program that excels at a high-risk/high-reward performance style. Every year they demonstrate levels of musicianship I’d never heard before. One of my favorite moments was during the 2nd mvt(?) where there were these ascending pentascales in the mellos and woodwinds that just kept getting higher and higher. I was like “omg where are they gonna stop?” Once again the most impressive musical group of the season

1 hour ago, JazzRun said:

All of them 😆 but specifically:

McKinney Boyd

Rock Hill 

Wylie High

Thank you!! 

What I loved about McKinney Boyd was that they picked a piece, Machu Picchu, that had a variety of performance responsibilities which included fast technical passages as well as the slower lyrical passages which allow you to hear the quality of their tone. And I liked how the visual design was set up where the props were present to showcase the theme, but were spread out far enough that the program could use the space of the field to show of their mastery of comped drill formations. It exposed the visuals more 

I swear Rock Hill is one of the smoothest moving groups I’ve ever seen. When I first saw them on the Box5 livestream at BOA prosper their marching was the first thing that stood out to me. 

Omg Wylie is one of the most professional sounding groups out there. It was so cool to listen to how cleanly the brass could enter in the ballad with all that silence surrounding them. They ensembles maintains the integrity of their tone and tempo so easily despite how varied their responsibilities are. One of the groups I wish I could listen to in person again. 

15 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

What I loved about McKinney Boyd was that they picked a piece, Machu Picchu, that had a variety of performance responsibilities which included fast technical passages as well as the slower lyrical passages which allow you to hear the quality of their tone. And I liked how the visual design was set up where the props were present to showcase the theme, but were spread out far enough that the program could use the space of the field to show of their mastery of comped drill formations. It exposed the visuals more 

I swear Rock Hill is one of the smoothest moving groups I’ve ever seen. When I first saw them on the Box5 livestream at BOA prosper their marching was the first thing that stood out to me. 

Omg Wylie is one of the most professional sounding groups out there. It was so cool to listen to how cleanly the brass could enter in the ballad with all that silence surrounding them. They ensembles maintains the integrity of their tone and tempo so easily despite how varied their responsibilities are. One of the groups I wish I could listen to in person again. 

Seeing Wylie at WMI this year was incredible! That Mello sustain was clean to the level of bands like Hebron, such an intriguing show, and they march SO well! Really hoping they take Waco this weekend and get their first boa win in program history, though getting through Dripping Springs won't be easy. 

I saw someone comment about realigning this area, but my question is how would they do it?  Area B is one of the other 3 most competitive in the state.  I suppose they could make a third birth Texas area and draw from area A or maybe some of the Waco/ Killeen area bands, but that has its own problems.  If they took Waco/ Killeen out of area D then it would have less spots and that's a disaster.  Area A is important for having geographic representation, but probably the best solution would be to split up area A.

The new area A would be regions 1, 2, 7, and 16. 

The new area B would be regions 5, 8, 30, and 31.

The new area C would be regions 3, 4, 20, 21, 24, and 25

The new area D would be regions 11, 12, 18 and 26.

The new area H would be regions 6, 22, 29, and 32.  

I think area D still could use some adjustments in this scenario though.  I'd maybe add dripping springs ISD to region 29 or 32.  

The other option would be to split up area D.  You could put region 8 with areas B and C and then split that to have the new area D in north texas.  Region 12 could go to area G. Region 18 to area E and region 26 to area I.  This would make it better for areas B, C, and what used to be D but probably make areas I and E much more difficult. 

Basically there is no good option, but the best options require big changes that reduce the amount of West and South Texas groups that will likely make it in.

14 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I saw someone comment about realigning this area, but my question is how would they do it?  Area B is one of the other 3 most competitive in the state.  I suppose they could make a third birth Texas area and draw from area A or maybe some of the Waco/ Killeen area bands, but that has its own problems.  If they took Waco/ Killeen out of area D then it would have less spots and that's a disaster.  Area A is important for having geographic representation, but probably the best solution would be to split up area A.

The new area A would be regions 1, 2, 7, and 16. 

The new area B would be regions 5, 8, 30, and 31.

The new area C would be regions 3, 4, 20, 21, 24, and 25

The new area D would be regions 11, 12, 18 and 26.

The new area H would be regions 6, 22, 29, and 32.  

I think area D still could use some adjustments in this scenario though.  I'd maybe add dripping springs ISD to region 29 or 32.  

The other option would be to split up area D.  You could put region 8 with areas B and C and then split that to have the new area D in north texas.  Region 12 could go to area G. Region 18 to area E and region 26 to area I.  This would make it better for areas B, C, and what used to be D but probably make areas I and E much more difficult. 

Basically there is no good option, but the best options require big changes that reduce the amount of West and South Texas groups that will likely make it in.

"Best option" for who? Western and Southern Texan bands deserve an adequate representation regardless of their competitive success, discounting them here and calling it the "best option" feels super gross.

16 minutes ago, lost said:

"Best option" for who? Western and Southern Texan bands deserve an adequate representation regardless of their competitive success, discounting them here and calling it the "best option" feels super gross.

If you reread what I said, I am not advocating for those changes.  I am saying that the idea of realigning as someone mentioned above doesn't seem feasible without sacrificing south and west Texas bands.  I didn't make commentary on whether that was a good thing or a bad thing because I wanted to leave that up for you all to decide.

But personally I think it would be bad.  I know when I was in school, Keller ISD and a few surrounding districts were in area A or at least what is now called area A and it felt weird to have the El Paso schools competing against DFW schools.  I was glad when they changed it so that we could have more representation from out there, even if it made things harder for KISD.

Realistically, I don’t see a viable way to “realign Music Areas. You can’t draw in a way that excludes the outskirt bands. 

It’s like football, you are always going to have powerhouse football programs with the resources to be great, every year. That’s just life. That doesn’t mean to smaller programs shouldn’t be given a shot to compete on the same stage. 

What football has done though is break down the A’s in to Division 1 and Division 2. Pros and Cons for sure. But you at least would get bigger 6A’s matched with other Bigger 6A’s. And each A would have 2 state champs!

That would require more money of course. To me that is the only model that might be used.