UIL 6A Area C 2023

Dave609

15 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

This is going to be by far the most talented area C 6A competition, personally, I think 2021 was the most entertaining but just looking at all of these bands, its clear that this is going to have the highest quality performances to ever come out of this area, with 3 (essentially) locked state finalists, 1 group that could be low finalist/top 16, and a cluster of groups just trying to brute force their way into the teens at state (the McKinneys, the Wylies, Braswell, Rockwall, and Rock Hill just to name the ones that most people expect) and groups that would certainly place in the top half if they can get past area, which is not mentioning the groups that have strong chances of breaking into area and would have been locks had they competed at this level ANY other year, so even if your band or your alma mater doesn't place like you expect, know that almost everyone is going to be on point and at their best relative to their previous years.

And from the looks of what UIL is passing (5 extra visual fundamental hours and I can only assume the revamped 5 judge system will see overwhelming support from directors), this activity is evolving to something no one would expected back in the 90s or 2000s, and with the increased strength of middle school music education, these groups are going to reach levels pretty unheard of, and were beginning to see the shift mainly in area B with Timber Creek and Keller Central, who in my opinion will become some of the new powerhouses in the state, and it will be entertaining to see if anyone from Area C will follow suit.

You seem to really know this Area well!  What is your current prediction for Area now that it is just a day away?

7 minutes ago, ReginaPhalange said:

You seem to really know this Area well!  What is your current prediction for Area now that it is just a day away?

This is my current prediction but it could flip flop with anyone in the 5-9 range personally, I think Boyd and WEast have the best shot since they overall with balancing cleanliness and difficulty are the best in UIL standards (Boyd had probably the easiest show in finals last year and got 6th due to cleanliness, they are way cleaner this year with a show more in line difficulty wise with the finals group so I believe they will place high, and WEast is harder and while less clean, still shows clear improvement from last year while having a tougher show), but frankly it could go any way, Boyd and WEast could just as easily place 9th and 10th as they could place 5th and 6th, the only groups that are locked in state personally are the top 4, everyone else completely depends on if its a good run and/or what the judges see as superior for UIL.

My two scenarios for the last 2 state qualifiers if I had to pick out based on difficulty would be Rock Hill and Wylie East, and cleanliness would be a fight between Boyd, and the Wylies, but again could be dead wrong and the two finalists could be Braswell and Rockwall or Sachse and McKinney high, this year is such a hard year to predict since everyones improved so much that finding whos superior on the micro level which area is all about, is nearly impossible, so people shouldnt really worry much about the placements besides just having the privilege of experiencing state, and should just enjoy being able to compete with incredible bands

45D7A095-9138-4E9E-B67A-1ED952476DB5.jpeg

Just now, TrenBS said:

6 for this area, 12 finalists and a tie for 6th means both bands advance, so there is room for that

alright, I’ll predict based off both scenarios. what would happen matter two schools tie for like 5th or up? Would they take both and announce 6th, or would they take the one with the lower GE score and put them in 6th?

17 hours ago, TrenBS said:

This is going to be by far the most talented area C 6A competition, personally, I think 2021 was the most entertaining but just looking at all of these bands, its clear that this is going to have the highest quality performances to ever come out of this area, with 3 (essentially) locked state finalists, 1 group that could be low finalist/top 16, and a cluster of groups just trying to brute force their way into the teens at state (the McKinneys, the Wylies, Braswell, Rockwall, and Rock Hill just to name the ones that most people expect) and groups that would certainly place in the top half if they can get past area, which is not mentioning the groups that have strong chances of breaking into area and would have been locks had they competed at this level ANY other year, so even if your band or your alma mater doesn't place like you expect, know that almost everyone is going to be on point and at their best relative to their previous years.

And from the looks of what UIL is passing (5 extra visual fundamental hours and I can only assume the revamped 5 judge system will see overwhelming support from directors), this activity is evolving to something no one would expected back in the 90s or 2000s, and with the increased strength of middle school music education, these groups are going to reach levels pretty unheard of, and were beginning to see the shift mainly in area B with Timber Creek and Keller Central, who in my opinion will become some of the new powerhouses in the state, and it will be entertaining to see if anyone from Area C will follow suit.

I absolutely couldn’t agree more, I truly believe we’re ushering in a new era of Texas marching band and I’m here for it! This year, from the few performances already seen, have been absolutely fantastic! Some really amazing openers. I’m very much looking forward to the new judging system and am readily awaiting to see how much improvement these bands will make with the five extra fundamental hours. I’m ecstatic for a phenomenal day of marching band!

10 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Not sure. Think Prosper tied 6 last year and Boyd went on tie breaker. Could be wrong. 

This is true, but the UIL committee voted since last year to change the rules so if there is a tie for the last state spots, both bands qualify.  I think they still break toes in general though