UIL 6A Area C 2023

Dave609

Only Region 3 hasn’t held Region yet. They have it Tuesday but so far every band has advanced. Could be looking at Top 6 to state again this year. I only see the potential of 1 Region 3 band getting a 2. Won’t name ;) them but I really hope they pull a 1 this year. They are small for a 6A band but work just as hard as our bigger bands and would love see their show at Area. 

Have not seen the Wylies schools yet this year or Lewisville. 

I think Tuba’s predictions are pretty head on above. Bands 13-17 or 18 are probably one strong march away from making a run at finals though. 

Have a good week everyone and eat your Wheaties. Next Saturday will be a long day with many bands performing early and sitting on pens and needles rest of day. 

This is my last prediction before area, and Ill probably have something alike to the Roman army to justify two certain placements😅:

1. Hebron (full sweep)

2. Marcus

3. Prosper

4. Flower Mound

5. McKinney Boyd

6. Wylie/Rock Hill/Wylie East

7. Rock Hill/Wylie/Wylie East

8. Wylie East/Rock Hill/Wylie

9. McKinney High

10. Sachse

11. Lewisville

12. Plano East/Braswell/Rockwall/Plano Sr./Allen

Now I know one of the big 3 not being 1-3 is pretty unheard of as of recently, but after Prospers performance Im quite confident that unless Flower Mound rewrote large chunks of their show, Prospers sound is extremely clean and exposes a lot of sections which they execute cleanly, which considering that Prosper would likely take captions on the musical standpoint, Flower Mounds main strength this year is clean visuals, which considering its judged in the minority Prosper could realistically place high enough musically for visuals to not matter.

Boyd Im pretty confident in 5th, their show was built for UIL and mainly placed “low” (still right outside finals at Prosper) due to visuals which wasn't far behind schools with shows built for BOA, which to me a school that can design a show for UIL and still do fairly well at BOA means at UIL they are going to do great (Marcus is an extreme example), and the Wylies-Rock Hill cluster is going to be the closest this competition may see to a 3 way tie, I see them all nearly as equals in balance between difficulty and clean, I would place WEast the lowest just due to how they arent very clean (in relation to the top 8, not in general) while having the hardest show of the 3, and I can see even the 5-8 cluster being completely random.

Then I see a gap, McKinney High has a BOA show but still has plenty for UIL to enjoy, same with Sachse, Lewisville is doing well, and the rest is just one big blood bath on top of another, larger bloodbath

This could all be inaccurate come area, but its so exciting because this is by far in my opinion, the deepest area this year in terms of overall skill, there isnt a major dip to where you dont see a band as an area finalist until 16th+, and for state you could argue 9th-11th deserve it and would do well, had UIL implemented their new 5 judge system this year (WW, Brass, Perc, Vis individual and ensemble), this wouldnt feel like a scholastic organized UIL area contest but a BOA contest with a different judging system, I am so excited to see how this plays out!

Good Luck to all the Region 3 Bands today!  Let's make it 32 of 32 bands qualifying for Area this weekend.

ALSO AN ENCOURAGEMENT.......I wish I could be there to cheer on Naamen Forest High School at 4:35pm.  If you have never seen this band, they are 6A but don't have the size of a 6A band...their program is small but those kids WORK their BUTTS OFF, just like ALL OUR KIDS.  They often receive 2's.....how awesome would it be if they got a STANDING ovation when done.

Unfortunately, due to my wife and I both being teachers in Rockwall, we won't be able to get to Mesquite in time to see them march this year but sending great 1 vibes their way and hope to see them Saturday!

7 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Good luck to every band frfr... as a senior Wylie kid I´m truly excited about this year´s Area more than any because I know every band definently stepped up their game... So it´s going to be interesting to see how everyone does, because nothing is guarenteed and anything can happen... Best of luck to these band and Wylie ofc lol...

General Rant.....it's weird to go to Region 3 contest tonight, it's $10, just to see my child's band and get a rating.  But to go to AREA on Saturday, it's $5 to see 30-32 AMAZING bands plus finals....but hey, you combined the two its still less than 1 BOA ticket for prelims, haha

PS....after tonight, I may be able to make my top 12-15 predictions...few bands I want to see first that I haven't seen yet this season. But agree with so many that this Area is going to be tough to seed from 5-15.  Think top 4 are pretty solid but also  think top 4 can vary based on each bands march

40 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Well, here goes my predictions for probably the hardest area in the state. Like seriously they really should realign this area on the next biannual cycle. But anyways here we go:

1. Hebron

2. Marcus

3. Flower Mound

4. Prosper

5. Mckinney Boyd

6. Wylie

7. Wylie East

8. Rock Hill

9. Lewisville 

10. Braswell 

11. Mckinney High

12. Plano East

13. Rockwall

14. Heath

15. Sachse

16. Allen

17. Plano Sr.

18. Byron Nelson

19. Eaton

20. Royse City

21. Plano West

22. Lakeview Centennial 

23. North Forney

24. John Horn

25. Little Elm

26. Guyer

27. North Garland

28. Garland

29. Rowlett

30. Mesquite 

31. Tyler Legacy

32. Naaman Forest

Well there ya have it, my rough predictions for this entire area, and I wouldn't be surprised if I got every single wrong (the only one I probably got right is Hebron). IMO the top 10 have state potential and the top 19 have finals potential. There's so many good bands it's almost impossible to make accurate predictions here. Atp I'm just ready to accept the criticism...

My placement on the Wylies have varied so much the past few days with new recordings from them, Rock Hill, Boyd, and just opinions, its going to be such a tight range for scores this year

39 minutes ago, lxnman said:

Fingers crossed at least 30 bands get 1´s in AREA so there r six spots for AREA... waiting for results is nerve-racking tbh.

Theres 32 groups pretty sure so 2 groups can get 2s, which considering this area only 1 could maybe get one realistically unless a group goes over time

2 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

Theres 32 groups pretty sure so 2 groups can get 2s, which considering this area only 1 could maybe get one realistically unless a group goes over time

yeah ik... that's why I was saying at least 30, because if less than 30 make AREA there will be only 5 spots for AREA... because its 1 spot for every 5 bands, so I hope that at least 30 bands make it, or all 32, because that would be nice to see everyone at my final AREA contest since I´m a senior.