UIL to alternate the SMBC weeks for 1A/3A/5A and 2A/4A/6A every year…

LeanderMomma

• 2 months later...

I wonder how this’ll affect participation at state because the whole reason they went to every other year was to increase participation. They did it because a lot of bands couldn’t afford to go to state every year which lowered state participation. This will definitely affect the West Texas bands since they are so far away from the main part of the state

On 4/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, ReveriesOp24 said:

I wonder how this’ll affect participation at state because the whole reason they went to every other year was to increase participation. They did it because a lot of bands couldn’t afford to go to state every year which lowered state participation. This will definitely affect the West Texas bands since they are so far away from the main part of the state

It’s looking like it’s going to affect BOA San Antonio far more than it will UIL now unfortunately. 

• 7 months later...

From what I've heard, UIL loses money hosting State, which makes me wonder why they switched to every year. Bands who make State are required to go. I can't remember if they are allowed to opt out of Area. If you were a 5A band going to Nats and State this year, your students would be missing an entire week of school plus the Friday of BOA San Antonio. I did Grand Nats twice in high school. Catching up after missing three days sucked. I can't imagine a week or more. 

I could understand if UIL wanted to do Area every year and just determine an Area champion on non-state years. State every year for everyone just seems like a huge hassle. 

23 minutes ago, AlphaOmega said:

From what I've heard, UIL loses money hosting State, which makes me wonder why they switched to every year. Bands who make State are required to go. I can't remember if they are allowed to opt out of Area. If you were a 5A band going to Nats and State this year, your students would be missing an entire week of school plus the Friday of BOA San Antonio. I did Grand Nats twice in high school. Catching up after missing three days sucked. I can't imagine a week or more. 

I could understand if UIL wanted to do Area every year and just determine an Area champion on non-state years. State every year for everyone just seems like a huge hassle. 

No bands are required to participate at any level by UIL.  Their districts or schools may require it, but the UIL does not.

I think with State now being every year it's going to hurt the smaller programs or the programs that are under funded. A lot of the smaller schools simply don't have the budget to be able to compete at a high level every year with the exception of a few schools that have heavily involved Boosters.  I think the big names you see all the time will just keep on ticking with no problems. 

52 minutes ago, JazzRun said:

Tentative dates for State for the next few years…

IMG_9508.jpeg

November 4, 5, 6, 2024: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 11, 12, 13, 2024: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

November 3, 4, 5, 2025: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 10, 11, 12, 2025: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

November 2, 3, 4, 2026: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 9, 10, 11, 2026: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

November 1, 2, 3, 2027: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 8, 9, 10, 2027: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

October 30, 31, November 1, 2028: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 6, 7, 8, 2028: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

I’m just reposting my post from last year so I can compare these and see if anything has changed.