2023 BOA DFW (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

Krum: By Candlelight- great performance from Krum! Loved the soloist throughout, the piano was a very nice addition, although sometimes it was a bit too much for me as it tended to cover up the sound of the band somewhat often. The singing at the end was not expected and definitely a very pleasant surprise. Drill was pretty clean, and the perc was very good for their size. will most likely be your class A champion. Great job Krum! 

3 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Who’s the school that nobody is talking about now but might be tonight?

I’m going with Rockwall (clearly bias, I get). This competition is STACKED just like our Area but one great show from sneaking into finals. 

May not happen this week but don’t be shocked. Heard it here first!

Good luck today! Saw a video of yall's performance from the Mesquite comp last weekend and I'm very excited to see how yall do this season, great show!

Forney: got here in the middle of their performance, right around the bassoon and clarinet solos. Immediately I notice how much more restrained and in-the-pocket they were compared to last year, and that can be a great thing for cleanliness, y’all had some high expectations today, and yeah great ensemble sounds, the hinting of Pines of Rome was fun! both in the soloists and ensemble I’ve heard that be mentioned too. So fun! The arena design with the columns was cool! Hope to see the performance in full next time!

Krum: Love how the woodwinds were able to project with their limited numbers, props to the kid marching out with the cast on his arm, being vital for drill and everything! Lovely trombone and soprano solo back-to-back and the vocal part in the end with all the candles was a pleasant surprise! I forget if there’s another class representative for 1A, but I’d imagine we’ll see them perform again too!

Coppell: more to say, but off the bat, should be a medal contender, even if they fall short! Great start for them!!!

A bit of an abrupt ending, but of course they’re not done with that show! That piccolo trio and accompanying prop was incredibly unexpected!😂

Loved how each section played, fantastic across the board, and that opening woodwind ensemble and recreating that opening song’s soundscape so faithfully was really really cool. Probably the highlight of the show for me personally. Due to some Hallelujah fatigue the ballad was probably the least engaging for me, but it was still a great show and can’t wait to hear it again!

Coppell: Major Scale- Simply Magical! The woodwind ensemble at the beginning was so beautiful (love me some Leander 2015) and then it's just lay down the hammer! I've still yet to understand the theme as a whole, but regardless tons of emotions coming from each member, very call sidestep move from the woodwinds at the beginning, brass was very clean and powerful, Mellos and trumpets were ripping through those hard licks, and I'm NGL, that flugel solo.... Man, it's gonna be one that may make some shed some tears to say the least. Guard and percussion were wondaful as always! Amazing job Coppell!! 

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

Am I the only one who expected them to play music with major scales in them because of the name of their show? 

just me? Ok I’ll see myself out 🙈 

🙋🏻‍♂️ me too!! We got one really good one at the end of the opener - but besides that I agree I could definitely use more haha

2 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Am I the only one who expected them to play music with major scales in them because of the name of their show? 

just me? Ok I’ll see myself out 🙈 

I was thinking maybe they would do a WW feature and just have them play a few of the Major Scales back to back really fast lol 

Sachse: Coloring Silence- HELLO SACHSE! Such an incredible performance! Music was really good, love me some 1812 Overture! The Basson Soloist was killing it the whole show, very neat moment with them playing backfield behind the props, and boy were the moving! I really I'm curious as how they will be judged in terms of GE, but I would not be surprised at all if they make the night show, that was very impressive! They really want a state spot at Area C this year! Amazing job Sachse! 

James Earl Rudder: Mixed emotions: fun show from Rudder! They actually had some really good ensemble moments, and most of those soloist nailed it! Some micing issues and the drill doesn't offer to much, but they do great with what they had to work with! Really fun show with some great musical moments, great job Rudder!