2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

2 hours ago, packwick said:

just watched arcadia for the first time. this guard is going to be a huge pain in the a**, competitively speaking lol, for the other top guards in a year or two. looks like a Gaines show.

I was VERY impressed by Arcadia. They have Rosie Queen consulting with them, and it shows. It wouldn't surprise me if Michael Gaines is also on the team. He and Rosie are close friends.

20 hours ago, packwick said:

theyll win gold as long as their designers and choreographers figure it out. the team has a distinct voice it just needs a little polishing.

I know you've been critical of their design, but The Woodlands was 2nd place pretty much across the board in the upstairs content-related sub-captions -- in both Design Analysis and GE. Actually, you yourself said a few weeks ago that you'd have them 2nd place in repertoire if you were judging GE, which I agree with, although I, too, would have had Tarpon in first place. So much for that happening! Carmel was 1st place across the board in content. 😅 I mean, I understand that from a staging and skills perspective. Gaines never "flails about" with his drill writing, to borrow your term. 😄 Really, it was the Individual Analysis captions that cost The Woodlands the medal, so maybe it's more of a choreography and cleanliness issue than a staging or conceptual one.

3 hours ago, packwick said:

dont get me wrong, they do looots of things unusually well. they preeetty consistently choose interesting and high quality music, unfortunately most guard ppl don't have good taste in music and consequently set their shows up for mediocrity. they don't usually spell things out for the audience, allowing for deeper interpretations. they know to show rather than tell whiiich unfortunately is like a 99th+%ile skill in the guard world. they often do themes u haven't quite seen before.

im piiicky picky picky bc they're knocking at the door, they're right there, just liiittle bitty things are holding them back, well little bitty besides the rehearsal restrictions. ive felt the same way about the marching program previous years and prob still will but ofc it's all easier said than done + i have a kinda editorial distance from the work they don't have.

also think they miiight wanna start a guard #3 + reduce the size of the other two a little, play the game and rely more on their strongest girls. buuut that would prob require adding another full time guard director job. w/ 70 kids or whatever, hundreds w/ McC, u need it.

Its crazy how much you hate on twhs! “Favorite place 4th behind avon?” Bro chill.

My former coach competed at worlds this year so I got to stream. Came here to see whats up and would love to have seen more support for the home teams! Lol 

congrats too all actual participants this year! Slayyyeeddd!!

And to the ones reading the house down, what did your guard place in SW finals? I’ll wait. 

this is also weeeeirdly full circle for me, bc i got into a huge amount of trouble for criticizing our show design on xanga back in the day. i thought i was being helpful but Brett was fuuurious lol. i guess i was pretty precocious tho and was proven correct when they changed designers later on and shot right up to the top. really i was connecting the dots, like why are our perf scores near the top but our GE ones not and why do i feel like it's being blamed on us kids not working hard enough lol. i think they knew, they just didn't want to hear it from a 16 year old or whatever lol.

It's almost time for the percussion side of WGI! The schedules can be found here:

https://www.wgi.org/percussion/world-championships-per/schedules-per/?_ga=2.248242503.1345756561.1681747315-1559077481.1678222036

It looks like all the TX high schools are participating in the World marching division. Good luck to Burleson Centennial, Cy-Fair, Boswell, and Clear Brook!

And good luck to the Independent groups as well: UTRGV Percussion, UTSA, Sun City Independent, Monarch Independent, Rhythmic Force Percussion, and Vigilantes Indoor Percussion.

7 hours ago, packwick said:

allllrighty, after multiple freezes and app re-installs and messing around w/ settings/permissions, i finally got my videos to upload. there should be several from Dayton in Apr guard on the drive. ill leave them for a while but i'll eventually have to remove them bc they're taking up a lot of space.

Thank you for sharing!