UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

6 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

back to relevant discussions. how did area D do? some new faces with McCallum missing.

The biggest thing is that Hendrickson getting first was not unanimous like it has been in the past. It was really close between 1st and 2nd place. If a majority of people have Hendrickson in a high finalist spot, then you also need to have Lake Belton and even Pieper up there as well.

Don't be surprised if either:

Hendrickson takes a much lower finalist spot than expected

or

Lake Belton/Pieper make a finalist spot and bump out some dynasty band programs.

13 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

you’d be surprise at how many parents I’ve seen act like this. but no worries, I love you guys and I hope you guys advance! I’m just worried about the judges since I know they tend to score y’all unfairly.

I agree with the fact that many band parents fuel the conflicts between bands, especially online. I'm just surprised someone had the audacity to post about it here.

37 minutes ago, Karma_Savior said:

The biggest thing is that Hendrickson getting first was not unanimous like it has been in the past. It was really close between 1st and 2nd place. If a majority of people have Hendrickson in a high finalist spot, then you also need to have Lake Belton and even Pieper up there as well.

or

Lake Belton/Pieper make a finalist spot and bump out some dynasty band programs.

Oh I didn’t notice that. Top 3 were within 4 ordinals. Hendrickson is a great program and I think it would be weird for them to miss finals, but their BOA results haven’t been favorable either. They seem to be doing pretty good in UIL though. Is there any videos of their performance out there?

1 hour ago, Karma_Savior said:

or

After watching Hendrickson a couple of times this season I would totally agree with that assessment of a lower spot in finals.

Finals Predictions

1. Rouse

2. Cedar Park 

3. Wakeland

4. Leander

5. Lone Star

6. Hendrickson

7. Aledo

8. Forney

9. Friendswood

10. McKinney North

11. Lebanon Trail

12. Richland

Don't know much about bands outside Area B (little biased probably), but I’m excited to see how everyone matches up with each other. This is based on my knowledge of Area results and what others have said about these bands so far. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, Dave609 said:

Next year we see the return of Conference 5A to the State Marching Contest! Will we see a Leander ISD Sweep again, or will a band such as Wakeland or Hendrickson sneak into the top 3?

Official Schedule (Prelims)-

Alamodome - San Antonio, TX - 11/06/2023 - 

Sharyland Pioneer HS: 9:00 AM
Foster HS: 9:15 AM
Aledo HS: 9:30 AM
College Station HS: 9:45 AM
Pieper HS: 10:00 AM
Pine Tree HS: 10:15 AM
Richland HS: 10:30 AM
Roma HS: 10:45 AM
Brownsville Lopez Early College HS: 11:00 AM

BREAK

Rouse HS: 12:00 PM
Sharyland HS: 12:15 PM
Lubbock HS: 12:30 PM
PSJA North Early College HS: 12:45 PM
Cedar Park HS: 1:00 PM
Leander HS: 1:15 PM
Liberty Hill HS: 1:30 PM
McKinney North HS: 1:45 PM
Lake Belton HS: 2:00 PM

BREAK

Lebanon Trail HS: 2:30 PM
A&M Consolidated HS: 2:45 PM
Burleson Centennial HS: 3:00 PM
Robert E. Hendrickson HS: 3:15 PM
J.M. Hanks HS: 3:30 PM
Forney HS: 3:45 PM
Brownsville James Pace Early College HS: 4:00 PM
North Mesquite HS: 4:15 PM

BREAK

Churchill Fulshear HS: 5:45 PM
Birdville HS: 6:00 PM
Smithson Valley HS: 6:15 PM
Wakeland HS: 6:30 PM
Lubbock-Cooper HS: 6:45 PM
Pflugerville HS: 7:00 PM
Friendswood HS: 7:15 PM
Mesquite Poteet HS: 7:30 PM

Exhibition Band: University of North Texas Green Brigade Marching Band: 7:45 PM

Drum Major Retreat/Announcement of Finalists: 8:00 PM

Where is Lonestar, I thought they made state as well?

On 10/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Okay everyone, after a crazy night of Area, I'm going to make my Finals predictions for this comp! These are based off one, area results/rankings; 2, how bands have done all season long at their respective comps and; 3, how bands tend to do/peak or not peak at state. Obviously, this comp is almost impossible to predict, but here's my best shot, gonna do placements and also a tier list below. We also have a LOT of first timers/been a minute since they've been at state, so that also makes things even harder. I'm assuming its's 12 to finals, but if it's more or less, please lmk so I can edit my predictions, forgot how they determine how many state finalist there are. Here we go: 

1st. Rouse HS 

2nd. Cedar Park HS

3rd. Wakeland HS

4th. Leander HS 

5th. Aledo HS

6th. Hendrickson HS

7th. Friendswood HS

8th. Burleson Centennial HS

9th. Lonestar HS

10th. Forney HS

11th. Mckinney North HS

12th. Roma HS 

---

First out: 

Richland HS 

So, IMO, the top 4 is going to be that, could be in any order. I feel like Aledo, Henny, F-wood are pretty much locks for finals, assuming they have really good performances, though placements could vary. 8th-12th is more of my personal opinion of how things will fold out, I'd be very surprised if BC, LS, and Forney didn't make finals, and the last two are more based on how successful their seasons have been. Roma for some reason always seems to get the short end of the stick at State, but hoping they get into finals this year, but nothings guaranteed. Would also be pretty surprised if MN didn't make finals. Here's my tier list: 

Top 4: Cedar Park, Leander, Rouse Wakeland 

Lock for finals: Aledo, Henny, Friendswood 

Very high chance of finals: Lonestar, Burleson Centennial, Forney

Fighting for last 2 spots: Mckinney North, Roma, Richland, Lebanon Trial, Foster

Could MAYBE slip into finals: Birdville, Lake Belton, Pieper 

I'm hoping for some surprises and some new finalist, best of luck to everyone competing, can't wait to see how things shake out! 

Richland finished ahead of BC in both prelims and finals at area, I don't think you're giving them enough credit. Not too mention they took First at both BOA New Mexico and US Bands Regional. I think they make finals. 

4 hours ago, BandMom07 said:

Richland finished ahead of BC in both prelims and finals at area, I don't think you're giving them enough credit. Not too mention they took First at both BOA New Mexico and US Bands Regional. I think they make finals. 

In my personal opinion and from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like Burleson Centennial had their best runs at area, which happens to the best of the best, and I think they will do much better at state. I think well respected band would have won that boa comp, it wasn't really competitive other than against Clovis, who is having somewhat of an off year, and I don't think anyone else would have won that US bands comp, they were for sure the favorite. I can definitely see them making finals, but they do have to go on fairly early in the competition, which could hurt them, but it's less of giving credit, I know they are a great band, and more of just what I think is personally going to happen, but I'd love for them to make finals!

On 10/29/2023 at 7:20 PM, JWork said:

I would love McKinney North to make finals. I absolutely love their show and think they play it phenomenally.

For me, while their show is entertaining and there is a lot of talent on the field, I don’t see it as a marching show. I focus way too much on the singer, and less on the actual marching. Just my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, TubaMama said:

For me, while their show is entertaining and there is a lot of talent on the field, I don’t see it as a marching show. I focus way too much on the singer, and less on the actual marching. Just my opinion. 

I think the marching band activity as a whole is starting to shift away from just strict marching and more bodywork/choreography, which yes is what most of North's show is, but seeing how they did at area, I don't think them not having a ton of marching is something they should be worried about. 

26 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I think the marching band activity as a whole is starting to shift away from just strict marching and more bodywork/choreography, which yes is what most of North's show is, but seeing how they did at area, I don't think them not having a ton of marching is something they should be worried about. 

I get it. I am a self diagnosed ADD so it’s hard for me. The vocals are great, I just wish I could concentrate on the rest of the show. Like I said it’s just me.