UIL 5A Area B 2022

6 hours ago, Samuel Culper said:

It seems like it happens to some band every year - technical issues delay the start of the show and result in a time violation and a 2 at Region.  

I've always wondered if there would be some wisdom in the band setting up an emergency ripcord signal.  Have the band pre-determine an emergency stopping point, like before the last part of the show - a place where they would have stopped before they had the entire show on the field earlier in the season.

When there is an issue like that delaying the start, the director tells the drum majors and they give a signal to the band right before starting the show so that everyone knows they are stopping short.

Is that at all feasible?  Just a thought in my head.

I was just thinking about that while reading the comments! A fail safe implemented into the show would’ve made things easier for them. It’s region so I don’t think the show needs to be performed completely in order for them to get a 1 anyways. 

10 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Hmmm would it be better if the Area contests adopted the 7-judge system like at state? What do you all think?

I feel like 7 judges wouldn’t be needed(it would be hard to find that many for each area) but maybe they did different sheets? Like for marching do individual and ensemble, and for music maybe individual ensemble and percussion, or I guess woodlands brass and percussion, but I feel like them doing more like state wouldn’t hurt, it’s just they’ve been doing the 5 sheets for so long, but I know a LOT of people don’t agree with how area judging is, but UIL is doing their best.

3 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I feel like 7 judges wouldn’t be needed(it would be hard to find that many for each area) but maybe they did different sheets? Like for marching do individual and ensemble, and for music maybe individual ensemble and percussion, or I guess woodlands brass and percussion, but I feel like them doing more like state wouldn’t hurt, it’s just they’ve been doing the 5 sheets for so long, but I know a LOT of people don’t agree with how area judging is, but UIL is doing their best.

Interesting. I think part of what makes Area judging so wild is that the three music judges at Area are each doing the work of the four state music judges. An area music judge must evaluate ensemble, woodwind, brass, and percussion performance all at once then compare that evaluation to 20-30+ other bands! I see why they broke it down at state😅

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

Interesting. I think part of what makes Area judging so wild is that the three music judges at Area are each doing the work of the four state music judges. An area music judge must evaluate ensemble, woodwind, brass, and percussion performance all at once then compare that evaluation to 20-30+ other bands! I see why they broke it down at state😅

yeah I know it's crazy! I just hope they find something new soon, but it seems like for the most part, the bands who make state are al "worthy" but Texas is just so competitive, everyone is so good, and there will always be bands who don't make it that should have or were "worthy" of making it to state. But all the kids can do is try their hardest, so no matter the results, they know they left it all on the field! 

2 minutes ago, Maestrogdub said:

Melissa HS pulled out of the Area Contest and will not be attending. 

Oh really, that’s a little surprising but understandable. I would have thought they would have wanted to go so they could get a feel of the area and where they stand since next year is a state year, but of course they have a reason. Still an amazing year for them! 

22 hours ago, Sopranosaxman said:

I completely disagree with this, we've seen some weakness start to show in Wakelands program. Lone Star and and Forney have beaten them in music, this competition wouldn't have just been a lock. I really think that Lone Star has(had?) a good chance of beating them if not coming very very close to it. Duncanville should be a good competition for them though. 

ur funny

3 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I was just thinking about that while reading the comments! A fail safe implemented into the show would’ve made things easier for them. It’s region so I don’t think the show needs to be performed completely in order for them to get a 1 anyways. 

Exactly. It's a strategy that would be for Region only to ensure that you advance. 

7 hours ago, Zil said:

Is the 8 min time limit only enforced at Region? I thought I had read somewhere that the time limit rule is a bit different at area (or was it state?). And to add on the confusion, also different at BOA?

I’ve never seen a penalty given out to a band at the Area or State level and there are plenty who have broken rules.

In regards to Wakeland’s situation, pointing fingers does no good but I will say I have been present for a UIL contest in which a major 6A Band had tech issues, started late but still got a 1 because the Band Director told the drum major to stop after the ballad, mid-performance.

Although it was awkward for the performers, they got off the field in time, got straight 1s and a heck of a story to tell.

7 hours ago, TexasWoo1999 said:

I’ve never seen a penalty given out to a band at the Area or State level and there are plenty who have broken rules.

In regards to Wakeland’s situation, pointing fingers does no good but I will say I have been present for a UIL contest in which a major 6A Band had tech issues, started late but still got a 1 because the Band Director told the drum major to stop after the ballad, mid-performance.

Although it was awkward for the performers, they got off the field in time, got straight 1s and a heck of a story to tell.

Lovejoy god downgraded a couple of years ago because they started practicing their show early.

What good are rules if they are not enforced? Rules level the playing field.

2 hours ago, DrumLine said:

To say that is extremely unnecessary and naive. A few schools have started to close that gap. Wakeland is a very good band, but they're not unbeatable, as this season has shown. 

And in 6A, watch out for Rock Hill. New kids on the block are bringing it. They're traveling. That electric guitar solo is edgy. And the entire show, capped by that closing dance number, is fun. Can't wait to see what they do next.

nowhere did i say wakeland was unbeatable. i'm just saying they carry out a level of excellence that lone star currently isn't up to. nothing about any other bands

3 hours ago, DrumLine said:

To say that is extremely unnecessary and naive. A few schools have started to close that gap. Wakeland is a very good band, but they're not unbeatable, as this season has shown. 

And in 6A, watch out for Rock Hill. New kids on the block are bringing it. They're traveling. That electric guitar solo is edgy. And the entire show, capped by that closing dance number, is fun. Can't wait to see what they do next.

I am gonna say it at this competition wakeland is unbeatable. Sure they might lose a caption on some iffy performances at 8 am, but they have only been beat by 4 top 6a bands this whole season in finals (Hebron, flomo, Marcus, coppell by .135) they got beat by ld bell and westlake in prelims but thats just because of their early performance time compared to going right next to them making it easier for the judges to decide.