2022 4A UIL SMBC (NOV. 9)

19 minutes ago, TBonesNeverQuitGo said:

They switch out some and rotate some. I think a few judges moved from music to visuals or vice versa. At least when they announced the names of the finals judges they repeated some from the prelim score sheet 

The two visual judges switch with two of the three music judges. There will be one music judge who stays in that caption for prelims and finals

2 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

That and I think when bands are compared against more bands, the precision of scoring, and therefore accuracy of rankings goes down since it’s harder to compare that many bands against each other than just a handful of them. Like this year at 6A Area B, the lone music judge that judged music both prelims and finals placed LD Bell 11th in prelims but then placed them 3rd in finals. 

This makes me wonder if the variation of scores and placements between prelims and finals for a band are due to certain limitations/weaknesses in the performance holding them back in one round vs the other. 

11 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Congrats to Celina on getting first. Really unexpected! I thought it would just be Canton,  North Lamar and maybe Anna or China Spring being the power houses medaling for a little bit with Argyle and Melissa in 5a now.  Not sure what's up with North Lamar but it looked like they tried something new for their show this year (Not woodwind very technique heavy) and it was a mess musically but I'm sure they will be ready to make a run for it again in 2024.

I think everyone was expecting to see North Lamar in the finals at least. After seeing the scores, the judges did not rank them high for music at all. Craziness. 

7 hours ago, RaElk99 said:

I think everyone was expecting to see North Lamar in the finals at least. After seeing the scores, the judges did not rank them high for music at all. Craziness. 

There were a lot of intonation problems with the brass. I remember them being technique and run heavy in 2016-2019 with their shows trying to stand out from Argyle and the other groups trying to follow the new power chord trends. It worked for them I'm not sure why they are changing it up. It was nice seeing those kinds of shows.

As someone who went to school and now teaches in Region 1 (that's why I'm not very active on here anymore :), gotta say I am so so so proud of what I think is the best showing from Area A ever in 4A, or at least in a very long time.  

• Canyon - 6th
  • Randall - 10th
  • West Plains - 14th 

Strong showing from Panhandle in 2A as well placing 2nd in prelims and 5th in finals.  It's easy to feel like we get lost in the discussions being all the way up here, but definitely made ourselves known this week.  

1 hour ago, LKendrick said:

As someone who went to school and now teaches in Region 1 (that's why I'm not very active on here anymore :), gotta say I am so so so proud of what I think is the best showing from Area A ever in 4A, or at least in a very long time.  

• Canyon - 6th
  • Randall - 10th
  • West Plains - 14th 

Strong showing from Panhandle in 2A as well placing 2nd in prelims and 5th in finals.  It's easy to feel like we get lost in the discussions being all the way up here, but definitely made ourselves known this week.  

That is awesome!! I am really happy Area A bands are starting to rise on up in the rankings.

2 hours ago, LKendrick said:

• Canyon - 6th
  • Randall - 10th
  • West Plains - 14th 

Totally agree! Canyon ISD has some amazing band programs and I think we will be seeing a lot of all three of these schools in upcoming years!