2019 5A Area B

If im being completely honest, I think it will be easier to advance to finals at state than it will be to advance from 5A area B, as the state marching contest looks a little bit less competitive than it has in previous years. 

Several groups have moved up to 6a such as Prosper, Waxahachie, Lake Ridge, Richland, Wylie, ETC, paving the way for some programs we havent seen in a while to make a comeback. 

If im being completely honest, I think it will be easier to advance to finals at state than it will be to advance from 5A area B, as the state marching contest looks a little bit less competitive than it has in previous years. 

Several groups have moved up to 6a such as Prosper, Waxahachie, Lake Ridge, Richland, Wylie, ETC, paving the way for some programs we havent seen in a while to make a comeback. 

We'll be seeing at least 3 new faces in finals this year bc of realignment.

Locks:

Cedar Park

Wakeland

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Poteet?

Potentially in the other half:

Highland Park

Aledo

Weiss

Lebanon Trail

Princeton???

Roma

Lone Star 

Cenennial???

+Others

Looks like the competition among "non-locks" for finals is pretty stacked. The results of state prelims will definitely be influenced by the outcome in Area B.

Which others from different areas do y'all think are in the mix.

I would be very shocked if Friendswood does not end up in State Finals. Pflugerville looks quite likely too. 

Quite honestly, the Austin area will probably sweep medals again, and will probably add two or three more bands to the mix.

Glenn will be in 5A this time around. It will be their second year with a full slate of students, and the first with completely homegrown seniors. It'll be interesting to see what they bring. 

Locks:

Cedar Park

Wakeland

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Poteet?

Potentially in the other half:

Highland Park

Aledo

Weiss

Lebanon Trail

Princeton???

Roma

Lone Star 

Cenennial???

+Others

Looks like the competition among "non-locks" for finals is pretty stacked. The results of state prelims will definitely be influenced by the outcome in Area B.

Which others from different areas do y'all think are in the mix.

Honestly, none others, DFW and Austin area bands RULE the 5a competition.

Im 90% sure Friendswood will end up in finals, they had a shockingly low placement at BOA Conroe last season, but when I saw them at San Antonio they were MUCH improved. Pflugerville will likely be in finals as well, as that program has rebounded nicely the past few seasons. 

Heres how I see finals 

Top 3 (no order)

Cedar Park

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Next 3 (no order) 

Wakeland 

Lebanon Trail 

Pflugerville

Upper bubble

Friendswood

Weiss

Aledo

Poteet

Highland Park 

Lower bubble

Glenn

Roma 

Lone Star 

Princeton

Centennial

If I had to pick four they would be 

Weiss

Friendswood

Poteet 

Aledo

How has pflugerville done historically? Also what area are they in?

They are a very solid program that is typically known to peak fairly early, but are great nonetheless. There best years were when Brad Toth was in charge of the program, which I believe was 2007-2013. They broke out onto the scene recently in 2010 placing 4th at the Arlington regional and 16th at the San Antonio super regional, but did not advance to state, as many believed they had peaked early. Despite this, it was a fantastic season for a fantastic band. The next season, they were again very strong, but not quite as strong as 2010. They began the season placing 14th at the Arlington regional, which was a shock to many people, as they were expected to be a lock for finals. They tied for 10th place at BOA Conroe with Brazoswood, but were not allowed to perform in finals due to an error on BOAs part. Because of this, they were given a special exhibition performance at BOA San Antonio in finals due to this error. Competitively, they placed 29th. The next year was built off 0f 2010s success, and they made BOA Conroe finals, placing 7th in finals with a very enjoyable show. They placed a very respectable 20th at what was likely the most competitive BOA San Antonio to date, however, they seemingly peaked early, and again did not have much successes in any late season UIL events, failing to make finals again. 2013 was again a very great show, and they managed to qualify for what ended up being a cancelled finals at the inagural BOA Austin, but being a few spots out at BOA Allen. I believe they were around 32nd at BOASA this season, again peaking early. After Brad Toth left, they didnt quite yield the same results competitively, however, they did qualify for area D finals in 2014 and 2016, which is a very stacked contest. They were the first band out of finals at BOA Southlake in 2017, and the first band out of BOA Austin finals in 2018, so it seems like they are back on the rise again, and should fare very well in UIL this upcoming season!

Im 90% sure Friendswood will end up in finals, they had a shockingly low placement at BOA Conroe last season, but when I saw them at San Antonio they were MUCH improved. Pflugerville will likely be in finals as well, as that program has rebounded nicely the past few seasons. 

Heres how I see finals 

Top 3 (no order)

Cedar Park

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Next 3 (no order) 

Wakeland 

Lebanon Trail 

Pflugerville

Upper bubble

Friendswood

Weiss

Aledo

Poteet

Highland Park 

Lower bubble

Glenn

Roma 

Lone Star 

Princeton

Centennial

Weiss

Friendswood

Poteet 

Aledo

Lebanon Trail is really good but I don't know if they've proved they can compete that high. Then again I haven't seen a lot of these bands so

Lebanon Trail is really good but I don't know if they've proved they can compete that high. Then again I haven't seen a lot of these bands so

Yeah haha I dont know either. Ive only seen them through video.

• 1 month later...

Heres how I see finals 

Top 3 (no order)

Cedar Park

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Next 3 (no order) 

Wakeland 

Lebanon Trail 

Pflugerville

Upper bubble

Friendswood

Weiss

Aledo

Poteet

Highland Park 

Lower bubble

Glenn

Roma 

Lone Star 

Princeton

Centennial

Weiss

Friendswood

Poteet 

Aledo

DFW and Austin dominate 5A, I'd like to see some SA or Houston blood this year! What top three bands from SA or Houston can make an appearance? Also what area is Roma in and who else is in their area?

Idk about San Antonio, but Houston doesn’t really have any powerhouse 5A bands. There’s a couple bands that could break into the bubble with a strong show:

- Barber’s Hill

- Willis

- Tomball

- Porter?

- Galena Park?

Porter and Galena had a strong showing last year, but I’m curious to see if either of us can keep that momentum going.

Barber’s Hill has been consistently strong for the past few years, with the exception of 2017. The big question in the coming years will be was 2017 the exception or will it be the new norm?

Tomball’s in a similar situation to BH, but without the issue of an off-year in 2017. Consistently strong with a pretty powerful sound for their size

Since Tomball Memorial’s move up to 6A, though, we don’t really have anyone down here who can safely say they’re even in the bubble

DFW and Austin dominate 5A, I'd like to see some SA or Houston blood this year! What top three bands from SA or Houston can make an appearance? Also what area is Roma in and who else is in their area?

Roma's in Area G, and there aren't really any bands that compete with them there...