Area B 2018

This story just keeps getting more heartbreaking. This morning I learned that last night during warm-up, moments before taking the field in Finals performance, Keller broke a drum head. With no time to replace it and the UIL season on the line for both of them Timber Creek loaned Keller a drum.

This was the 5th time in a row Timber Creek finished one spot out of advancing to the Texas SMBC and they still loaned Keller a drum so they could advance.

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

One of my friends who has a kid at Timber told me that the Keller kids cheered for Timber before Timber went on for finals during warm up and that the Timber band returned the favor after they finished and waited for Keller outside the gate.

Now I’m lost. In what way does the UIL system involve voting?

Vote was the wrong word to use. I was referring to the piece where judges "place" bands.

The scoring I'm used to in youth sports is elements judged independently (here let's say, musicality, drill, overall impression) then those elements add up to an overall score minus any deductions. Scores get ranked, top score wins.  When I looked at the Area scores it looks like the judges award what place they think the band should get then those "places" add up to their overall score.

If anyone has a link that helps me understand scoring I'm more then happy to educate myself.

When I've asked other people what the difference between our band and say, Flower Mound is, all they say is "money". I'm hoping that's not the case.

So, I’ve heard that there’s a chance that Prosper might step out of UIL State because of BOA Grand Nationals.. but, looking at the schedules with there being a 1 1/2 day difference in performance times and even though they are first to go at Grand Nats it seems that is unlikely and no alternate will be taken to State? Sounds like they will have a very very busy week that week with also going to BOA San Antonio..

Can anyone confirm that Prosper will definitely attend the State competition, given that they have GN in Indy the same week? If they do not, what happens? Does Timber get a slot at that point? Asking for a friend son.

I would assume from the fact that they are on the UIL State Schedule that they are not backing out.

Vote was the wrong word to use. I was referring to the piece where judges "place" bands.

The scoring I'm used to in youth sports is elements judged independently (here let's say, musicality, drill, overall impression) then those elements add up to an overall score minus any deductions. Scores get ranked, top score wins. When I looked at the Area scores it looks like the judges award what place they think the band should get then those "places" add up to their overall score.

If anyone has a link that helps me understand scoring I'm more then happy to educate myself.

When I've asked other people what the difference between our band and say, Flower Mound is, all they say is "money". I'm hoping that's not the case.

The judges actually do score the bands. Look at the results and look at the number with the rank. They then rank them based off the score. So they do exactly what you said.

UIL doesnt rewards the part ofband that is easier to influence with money, general effect. It helps poorer school districts be able to compete with the more affluent ones. It keeps it more in line with other UIL events. I have seen this same thing happen in BOA. When you have judges, you will have subjectivity and variances. UIL isn’t perfect, but it works.

The scoring I'm used to in youth sports is elements judged independently (here let's say, musicality, drill, overall impression) then those elements add up to an overall score minus any deductions. Scores get ranked, top score wins. When I looked at the Area scores it looks like the judges award what place they think the band should get then those "places" add up to their overall score.

money helps, but it’s not the deciding factor between a good and a bad program. The wealthiest area in Dallas is arguably Highland Park. NOT Lewisville. To imply that money is what separates great programs from good ones is absurd and damaging to the activity as a whole. I understand you and your children are upset, but come on. You’re really gonna come on this forum and say FloMo is only better because they have more money?

Well, private lessons are very expensive. They make a huge difference. Dance instructors, props, better quality instruments and nicer uniforms all are very expensive. GE can be influenced by money, less so in UIL. However, it is still up to the kids to practice, work hard and succeed. It’s a little of both. Can you name me a highly successful band program from a poor district. I’m not sure.

Duncanville has one of the most successful band programs in the history of Texas and I certainly wouldn't say that it is in a wealthy area.

Not only that, but we also don’t even pay a band fee. Not a dime to be in band. Of course there are other fees like our banquet, Jason’s deli (hehe), and little extra stuff like that but yeah, money isn’t as big of a factor as many might think.

The scoring I'm used to in youth sports is elements judged independently (here let's say, musicality, drill, overall impression) then those elements add up to an overall score minus any deductions. Scores get ranked, top score wins.  When I looked at the Area scores it looks like the judges award what place they think the band should get then those "places" add up to their overall score.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/area-music-descriptor.pdf

That is the link for the rubric for judging music.

Categories are:

Brass, Woodwind, Percussion performance worth up to 200 points

Ensemble performance worth up to 200 points

Musicianship worth up to 200 points

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/area-marching-descriptor.pdf

That is the link to the rubric they use for judging the marching portion.

Categories:

Individual marching worth 400 parts

Ensemble marching worth 400 points

Drill worth 100 points

Integration worth 100 points

Each of those categories give examples of what they are looking for.

Then they total up their scores for each band and the bands are ranked in order of highest score to lowest score  for each individual judge and that gives them their ordinal ranking by judge.

The ordinal ranks of each band is added together and the ranking now becomes lowest number to highest number with the lowest being the best.

So, using this contest and Richland :-)

Their scores in prelims were 806 + 816 + 943 + 945 + 850 = 4360

udges rankings were            16  +  10  +  11  +    4   +   16   =57 which put is in 11th place

As you can see judges 3 and 4 were only 2 points different in how they scored us, however their placements were 7 places off. You can interpret that as judge 3 gave higher scores to more bands than judge 4 did.

Lots of numbers that can be looked at in all kinds of ways. lol

New to this forum, so forgive my ignorance on the math here, but....

How can a music performance score be in the 800-900 range (as many were/are) if there is a maximum of 600 possible points?

I see the math clearly on the marching side - 1000 possible points easily explains the numerical scores there. 

200 brass, 200 ww, 200 perc, along with 200 each for ensemble performance and musicianship