2018 6A State

In 2017, Richland was right on Haltom's heels all season......in 2016, Haltom was right on Richland's heels all season.

"Not Haltom good"? I don't know, my friend...looks like they're pretty even, to me.

If you were to compare where each group was at the end of the season last year . Not other years . Then Richland wasn’t at that level . I watched haltom in Flo marching at Atlanta and then watch richland at state 2 weeks later and Richland wasn’t anywhere near where haltom was 2 weeks before. If Richland would of went to Atlanta they wouldn’t of placed anywhere near haltom .

In 2017, Richland was right on Haltom's heels all season......in 2016, Haltom was right on Richland's heels all season.

"Not Haltom good"? I don't know, my friend...looks like they're pretty even, to me.

in the beginning of the season they competed once . Where Richland got 3rd and haltom got 1st . After that I would not say Richland was on haltoms heels at all . After that first contest . Haltom blew up and surprised everyone .

I disagree with your statement for several reasons. First, Haltoms excellent performance last year was not a surprise for those who have followed the activity for over a decade and who have considered more than just BOA results. Haltom has made state finals on many occasions over the years. This being said, Richland also has an excellent history and I don't think you can count them out as being on a lower level as Haltom simply because of one year. Richland based their show around UIL judging and were rewarded for doing so. It is hard to say what /would/ have happened if they went to Atlanta as you said, because their show wasn't really BOA-centric.

I think both Haltom and Richland have a decent shot at making state here, but I don't think that either one is in a position where they are a clear top 3 favorite in the area.

in the beginning of the season they competed once . Where Richland got 3rd and haltom got 1st . After that I would not say Richland was on haltoms heels at all . After that first contest . Haltom blew up and surprised everyone .

2016 is hardly a recency bias but, ok.....

In 2017, they competed in two contests Haltom and Richland finished 1st and 3rd (Mansfield) and 1st and 2nd (Broken Arrow)....results don't lie.  Things were much closer than you recall.

No doubt that Haltom took big steps last year...they were fantastic.  They were also completely different shows...there's no way to quantify your assertion that Richland wouldn't have finished anywhere near Haltom.

Both are trending up...we'll have to see what happens in 2018. 

Things change year-to-year....looking forward to it and hope both make it to State!!

If you were to compare where each group was at the end of the season last year . Not other years . Then Richland wasn’t at that level . I watched haltom in Flo marching at Atlanta and then watch richland at state 2 weeks later and Richland wasn’t anywhere near where haltom was 2 weeks before. If Richland would of went to Atlanta they wouldn’t of placed anywhere near haltom .

Richland is definitely near Haltom in terms of quality. Had they attended Atlanta they would have done well.

That area which includes . Haltom , coppell , Richland , Keller , duncanville , Ld Bell , and many more is going to be insane . But I still think if they take 5 like they did in 2016 it’s going to be

Top 3- Keller , haltom , ld bell (not in order)

4-5 coppell and hopefully Duncanville

This is going to be a crazy year . And those predictions are just based off last year so who knows .. but very exciting!!

I think Waxahachie and Prosper might have something to say about this.

Possiably becahse haltom has a heavily GE based BOA show while Richland has a heavily based State show.

Now on terms of levels, Richland pulled off the 200 bpm in the closer while haltom sat in chairs so idk...

I think Waxahachie and Prosper might have something to say about this.

Wacahachie and prosper . Going against groups that haven’t missed 6a state in year . Aka coppell and duncanville . I don’t know . In my eyes I see those top 5 being as said above but in so specific order. This groups may be good but idk if they can over throw one of these legendary groups

Possiably becahse haltom has a heavily GE based BOA show while Richland has a heavily based State show.

Now on terms of levels, Richland pulled off the 200 bpm in the closer while haltom sat in chairs so idk...

Lmao. They did sit in chairs but I will say the sound they produced was breathe taking . Not everything is about moving and playing fast it’s honestlt starting to be more about visual package as well as a power music selection and sound quality. Especially for boa . It’s all about visuals. State uil not as much but that doesn’t stop groups like haltom. They missed out in 2016 . And I have a feeling they are coming back to fight and hopefully make state finals for the first time since like 2004 or 06 . Yikes . We will see

Then again . I also believe haltom will also have a show again this year that is more toward the boa standards because of the fact that are a definitely going to boa San Antonio. So we will see what happens . Every year is different and we really won’t know until we see them toward the end of this upcoming marching season

Then again . I also believe haltom will also have a show again this year that is more toward the boa standards because of the fact that are a definitely going to boa San Antonio. So we will see what happens . Every year is different and we really won’t know until we see them toward the end of this upcoming marching season

I'm looking forward to seeing Haltom this year and seeing what all the fuss is about!   ;)

Was it Stephen F Austin that used to be great, back in the day? And are they still considered to be really good? I just ran across an old UIL video of them and their beautiful dance team and was impressed.

Its a different SFA. Your thinking of Sugar Land. Check out their 16 show from area on, it gives a good answer to whethet their still good.

Its a different SFA. Your thinking of Sugar Land. Check out their 16 show from area on, it gives a good answer to whethet their still good.

I saw that one. It was great. I also saw a fantastic one from either 2002 or 2003. Yes they were from Sugar land. So there's another great SFA school? Or not so great? Confusing when so many have the same name!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With the bands that have moved up from 5A to 6A I think there will be a lot of surprises this year.  Based on what I saw last year, these "locks " that everyone keeps speaking of may not be a sure thing this year.  I know for a fact that some of them were beaten by the 5A bands that will move up.  With that being said, every year is different and the traditional powers are still that but there are bands moving up that will definitely challenge those traditional powers going forward.  Its going to be a great year in 6A, I cant wait for the competitions to start this fall.