2017 BOA Atlanta

Well I mean they made state and I don’t think haltom was there :/

Yes I that is true but the area in which they were in is one of the hardest to state from . And comparing them to what they were last year is completely incorrect. Honestly haltom was better than more than half the groups that made state last year even tho they didn't advance . But this year haltom is out in the rings throwing fire . Cedar ridge is also great but musically haltom is the whole package for this contest . Both group will do incredible

Haltom is a fantastic band, dont get me wrong. I grew up in Keller, so I got to see them all the time and I have some friends at college who were in the Haltom Band. That being said, I think y'all have talked yourself up enough and its time to let the performance this weekend show us how good they are instead of trying to make everyone believe you off of your word. I wish them the best of luck and hope that they medal.

Unfortunately, when you have strong opinions about a group before watching them, it affects how you see the show. I thought Keller's show last year was one of my favorite shows that I have ever seen and yet they got 13th at San Antonio. I must admit that it is likely my own desire for them to be great that makes me think they are so great. It could very much be the same for any person who roots for any band.

Haltom is a fantastic band, dont get me wrong. I grew up in Keller, so I got to see them all the time and I have some friends at college who were in the Haltom Band. That being said, I think y'all have talked yourself up enough and its time to let the performance this weekend show us how good they are instead of trying to make everyone believe you off of your word. I wish them the best of luck and hope that they medal.

Unfortunately, when you have strong opinions about a group before watching them, it affects how you see the show. I thought Keller's show last year was one of my favorite shows that I have ever seen and yet they got 13th at San Antonio. I must admit that it is likely my own desire for them to be great that makes me think they are so great. It could very much be the same for any person who roots for any band.

I have said I'm biased. My kids have graduated. I'm technically an alumni parent at this point. I'm not trying to "make" anyone believe they're going to win or that they're the best ever. I am just excited for them and am expressing my excitement. As someone who lived and breathed it for seven consecutive years, I fully understand those feelings of believing the band was robbed or feeling disappointed bcse a contest didn't have the outcome I was expecting. I've also been hovering around these forums all this time and this is the most talked about that I've seen Haltom ever. If my comments are tending toward basking in that glow, please pardon me. I'm not used to seeing people excited about them. And since I don't have a student in tbe show this year and my fave show has been Dragon Ritual from 2014 where Haltom finished the year tied for 11th in state, I think my being this excited is quite a statement. *shrugs* I guess maybe I'm of the thought that it's ok to rave about a band you love regardless of the outcome? Esp when that band doesn't usually get a lot of praise.

PS I loved that Keller show last year, too.

As someone who has marched in Texas for 3 years, I have never heard of Haltom. I don't know why the people on this forum have so much expectation for them at this contest. I see them as a complete non factor to Tarpon, Cedar Ridge, Wando finishing as the top 3

That's a shame. Haltom advanced to state in 2014 w their show, Dragon Ritual. It's all over youtube. You should check it out. I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of them. Despite their successes in the past, they are often relegated to "step child" status on discussion boards...another shame. Anyway, their show this year is lovely. Hope you enjoy it. ☺

"y'all have talked yourself up enough"

I assume you are implying that it's just "Haltom people" talking up the show.  Trust me...this is not the case.  I have no affiliation with Haltom but I recently saw the show.  This is not like anything Haltom has done before.  This is a "Marcus-like" show...very musical and the music is well done.  Deep tones and technical.  There are a couple of woodwind features that need to be cleaned up a bit but that could have just been the performance I saw.

I get that there are folks on here who just talk up their own bands but I'm not doing that...this year's version of Haltom is good.  Really good. 

Better than Tarpon or Wando?  We'll see....that's why they have the contests.

I assume you are implying that it's just "Haltom people" talking up the show. Trust me...this is not the case. I have no affiliation with Haltom but I recently saw the show. This is not like anything Haltom has done before. This is a "Marcus-like" show...very musical and the music is well done. Deep tones and technical. There are a couple of woodwind features that need to be cleaned up a bit but that could have just been the performance I saw.

I get that there are folks on here who just talk up their own bands but I'm not doing that...this year's version of Haltom is good. Really good.

Better than Tarpon or Wando? We'll see....that's why they have the contests.

Well, you all certainly have ME curious. I'll be certain to crank up the stereo when they march in Atlanta on Saturday! Go #teamtexas!

I assume you are implying that it's just "Haltom people" talking up the show. Trust me...this is not the case. I have no affiliation with Haltom but I recently saw the show. This is not like anything Haltom has done before. This is a "Marcus-like" show...very musical and the music is well done. Deep tones and technical. There are a couple of woodwind features that need to be cleaned up a bit but that could have just been the performance I saw.

I get that there are folks on here who just talk up their own bands but I'm not doing that...this year's version of Haltom is good. Really good.

Better than Tarpon or Wando? We'll see....that's why they have the contests.

I'm a Richland alumni so I'm not talking my group up except the fact they are our sister school. But all I saying if I really enjoy the program and I agree it is a show that shows a lot of Marcus in it but as I see it that's a good thing . Just excited to see what this brings

I watched a video of them from yesterday at the region contest and I don't believe they were messy just not as put together as some groups . I just didn't really enjoy the show I guess idk

Huh. As a CR student it's really supposed to convey the sense of chaos of daily life in NY. Obviously I'm biased but I think it does the intended purpose well.