Realignment 2016-18: UIL and TMEA

Thoughts on Area A:

Eliminated the zones and moved Keller/Fort Worth into Area B, I like that.  It allows for more competition between a BUNCH of evenly matched bands, especially in 5A.  31 bands in 5A and 17 in 6A.  I see 2 - 3 in each class being dominant with a lot of competition in the spots below those few for the last state spot or two.  Based on how ratings go every year, I see 3 advancing in 6A and 4 - 5 advancing in 5A in each of their next respective cycles.  All these regions are similar in many demographic, economical, and other factors.  As someone from this Area, I see it being the best recipe for being able to represent to best from each respective area of Texas.  I know nobody from here is particularly competitive at the top of the SMC/BOA scene, but there's lots of great stuff happening, and I think the way that they did this allows for fair, competitive, and representative advancers to state.  

5A:

1. Abilene Cooper - 1
2. Andress - 2
3. Austin - 2
4. Bel Air - 1
5. Bowie - 1
6. Burges - 2
7. Canutillo - 2
8. Canyon - 1
9. Caprock - 1
10. Chapin - 1
11. Del Valle – 1
12. Dumas - 1
13. Eastlake - 1
14. El Paso - 2
15. Jefferson Silva - 2
16. Hanks - 1
17. Hereford - 1
18. Horizon - 1
19. Irvin - 2
20. Lubbock Cooper - 1
21. Lubbock Coronado - 1
22. Lubbock High - 1
23. Monterey - 1
24. Palo Duro - 1
25. Plainview - 1
26. Parkland - 2
27. Riverside - 1
28. San Angelo Lake View - 1
29. Wichita Falls - 1
30. Wichita Falls Rider - 1
31. Ysleta - 1

6A:

1. Abilene High - 1
2. Amarillo - 1
3. Americas - 1
4. Eastwood - 1
5. El Paso Coronado - 1
6. Eldorado - 1
7. Franklin - 1
8. Frenship - 1
9. Midland High - 1
10. Midland Lee - 1
11. Montwood - 1
12. Odessa High - 1 
13. Odessa Permian - 1
14. Pebble Hills - ?
15. San Angelo Central - 1 
16. Socorro - 1
17. Tascossa - 2

The downtown and southern parts of San Antonio and out towards the West were taken out of 6A Area G and are now in the new 6A Area H with Leander ISD and Lake Travis ISD. This will make it hard on O'Connor any time there are a significant number of 6A Leander ISD schools.

In trade for Leander ISD leaving, 6A Area D picked up Cy-Fair ISD.

Looking at 6A - Area H...

I count 24 schools total:  

Region 11 - Clemens, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, East Central, Judson, South San Antonio, Southwest, Steele, Wagner

Region 29 - Brandeis, Brennan, Clark, Holmes, Jay, Marshall, O'Connor, Stevens, Taft, Warren

Region 32 - Lake Travis, Leander, Vandegrift, VIsta Ridge, Westlake

Am I missing anything?  If this is right, then best case is 4 bands will advance to State next year.  That assumes that no more than 4 bands fail to get a 1 at Region.

If it's four I think you have Leander, Vandegrift and Vista Ridge and everybody else fighting for the 4th spot.  If it's only three, then why hold the Area contest?   :huh:

If it's four I think you have Leander, Vandegrift and Vista Ridge and everybody else fighting for the 4th spot. If it's only three, then why hold the Area contest? :huh:

Because no band is a lock for anything. There are too many internal and external factors that can affect a band's placement.

That is not to say that some bands are more heavily favored than other bands. I agree that the LISD bands are the heavy favorites for advancing to the State Marching Contest as of now. But every other time or so, history shows us that the reputation and placements for a band from previous years do not have much of an influence on the current state of a band.

If anything, the previous years' reputation and placements show a performance level that can be attainable, unreachable, or easily surpassable for a band because of its current state.

EDIT: Missed the joke.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The rule is that one advances per every 5, right? I only count 29 in the area, given that they all advance from region with straight 1's. So I think it's still 5. So out of:

Rowlett 
Lufkin 
Lakeview Centennial 
Lewisville
Guyer
Hebron

McKinney
Flower Mound

Garland
Marcus
John Horn
Byron Nelson
Berkner
Mesquite
North Garland
Allen
Rockwall Heath
Sachse
South Garland
Lake Highlands

Longview
Richardson
North Mesquite
JJ Pearce
Wylie
Rockwall
McKinney Boyd
Robert E. Lee
John Tyler

We obviously have 4 on lock: Hebron, Flowermound, Marcus, and Berkner behind them. The last spot I think is a tossup, I don't really see any heavy-hitters keeping that spot locked down. I'm not really familiar with enough of these bands to make a guess.