Realignment 2016-18: UIL and TMEA

As far as LISD goes, it looks likely Vandegrift and Vista Ridge move up to 6A in realignment. Possibly Leander as well. Current projections for those schools for 2016-17:

Vandy 2426

Vista 2285

Leander 2098

Rouse will stay 6A and Cedar Park will stay 5A.

Glenn will start varsity competition in 2018 as a 5A school.

Looks like top 5 in E might be Bowie, Reagan, CTJ, Vandegrift, and Westlake/Vista Ridge if Vandegrift and Vista Ridge do move up. I don't know much about a lot of the San Antonio schools and I'm extremely biased towards Austin-area schools but it looks like pretty much all the spots are going to go to former Area D-ers.

On a side note, what's up with those band enrollment numbers? I was looking at area D and it says westwood has 773 people that are enrolled in the band! Apparently they are also the Allen High band. Also says that Round Rock has 496. What is up with this?!? Round Rock ISD's band enrollment numbers are all sorts of screwed up. Cedar Ridge has 605 people?  I feel like I'm missing something here.

Just speculating off of last year, State in 2016 with these areas (barring school splits, director changes, class moves up/down etc) would look something like

Area A: Coronado, El Dorado, San Angelo Central

Area B: Coppell, Bell, Haltom, Keller

Area C: Marcus, Hebron, Flower Mound

Area D: Duncanville, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Westwood, Hendrickson

Area E: Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, Westlake, Anderson

Area F: TWHS, College Park, Spring, Cy Falls, Cy-Fair, North Shore

Area G: Brazoswood, Pearland, Friendswood, Dickinson, SFA, Clements

Area H: Judson, Harlingen, Wagner, Hanna, Lopez, San Benito

which is about 38 bands at State, one more than 2014 (however, it would have been 38 if it were not for zoning in Area A). It's very clear now that Houston wins big time, the I-35 corridor relaxes a little bit, and Dallas becomes a bit worse off. South Texas also becomes worse off under this scenario. However, chances are that none of 2014's finalists would magically miss with this new zoning without other new developments.

Here's some speculation similar to what principalagent did, but with the 5A bands for 2017. This scenario assumes that Vandegrift and Vista Ridge will move up to 6A, and is mainly based off of 2013.

Area A: Hanks, Eastlake, Lubbock

Area B: Wakeland, Lake Ridge, Newman Smith, Southwest, Liberty, Boswell/Frisco Centennial

Area C: Wylie, Sherman, Poteet

Area D: Waxahachie, Connally, Georgetown

Area E: Leander, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs

Area F: Tomball Memorial, Lumberton, Waller, Tomball

Area G: Foster, Ridge Point, Barbers Hill

Area H: Alice, Calallen, Rio Grande City, Roma, Gregory-Portland, Nixon, Winn

(I'm kind of pulling straws for the last couple of qualifiers in Area F and for the bands below Roma in Area H)

There's about 29 qualifiers, barely up from 28 in 2013. Of course, we have yet to see what 2015 yields, both in terms of what bands and how many bands emerge to be qualifiers.

This is a fantastic rundown. Thanks for posting. The most glaring winner in this for me is Area B and specifically LD Bell and the Plano schools. It's many months later and I still can't process that LDB did not make state. There have been consistent scuttlebut that the Plano schools were looking to ramp up their marching programs (PESH has already been decent for the past few years). This could be the catalyst do that because this Area is now wide open.

On the other hand, If you're in Area C you're now wondering what you did to stir Goliath. The Lewisville ISD schools obviously need to go somewhere but Area C is only going to have 3 to possibly 4 state qualifiers and you just added 3 of the top programs in the state. That's brutal.

This is a fantastic rundown. Thanks for posting. The most glaring winner in this for me is Area B and specifically LD Bell and the Plano schools. It's many months later and I still can't process that LDB did not make state. There have been consistent scuttlebut that the Plano schools were looking to ramp up their marching programs (PESH has already been decent for the past few years). This could be the catalyst do that because this Area is now wide open.

I'm waiting for the day that Plano Senior and Plano West start kicking their marching programs up a notch. The Plano schools each send around 7-10 all-staters out of a very competitive TMEA Area C every year so it's not like they're lacking in quality players. I honestly don't see why these two put such little emphasis on marching when there's quite a talent base and the marchers are all juniors and seniors. I also would like to see PESH attend more BOA regionals than just San Antonio every year. I feel like they could make Conroe finals most seasons if they attended so long as the lineup isn't absolutely stacked. 

This is the first time that Coppell and Duncanville haven't been in the same Region/Area since Coppell moved up to the largest classification in 2000 right after winning 4A State in 1999.

As everybody has noted, even with Coppell and Duncanville getting split out of Area C and into different Regions/Areas (B and D), Area C just got even more crazy. 2 State Finalists moved out, but 3 State Finalists moved in and still likely only 4 advancing. Berkner, North Mesquite, Lake Highlands, Rowlett, Sachse, etc just got a super raw deal.

6A Area D is basically Pflugerville ISD, Round Rock ISD, Georgetown, and Duncanville. Even though multiple recent largest classification State Finalists were moved out and only one moved in, this area will probably still have some of the best bands that don't advance out of Area. I hope D can advance 5 to State; 4 would be a travesty.

More fun - the breakdown of BOA SA Finalists and UIL State Finalists under this new alignment is (with old numbers in parentheses)

BOA:

Area B - 1 (4)

Area C - 3 (0)

Area D - 2 (9)

Area E - 7 (0)

Area F - 1 (1)

UIL

Area A - 0 (1)

Area B - 2 (3)

Area C - 3 (2)

Area D - 1 (3)

Area E - 3 (0)

Area F - 1 (1)

This is an interesting way to see that the spread has become a bit more even, and that Area E is still probably going to be a very dominant area, considering its depth between both 5A and 6A.

I think that Austin area schools should have their own area. As well as San Antonio schools. 

Area E is going to be a nightmare with the current schools, not to mention LISD schools that might move in. 

Seriously... 7 previous BOA San Antonio Finalists in Area E.

Judson and Wagner are probably rejoicing right now, they finally get to go to a different area than Bowie, CTJ, RR, Reagan, etc.

Area C is just a huge mess of power houses. Also there is only about a total of 25 6A bands in the Area C so unless all 25 somehow gets 1st division rating in regionals during state year we could only see 4 or 3 rarely 5 advance to state xD

6A Area D is basically Pflugerville ISD, Round Rock ISD, Georgetown, and Duncanville.

Remember Georgetown ISD has 2 5A High Schools; Gtown and East View.  But yes....Area D 6A Finals will mainly just be Pflugerville, RR and Dville ISD schools it seems.  Dville, RR, Westwood, McNeil, Cedar Ridge, Pflugerville, Hendrickson for the Top 7.  I see Highland Park taking number 8, and Midlothian and maybe either S.G.P or one of the Irving schools taking the remaining 2 spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Area C:

Area C is going to have a bitter competition for top 4 because top 5 is impossible without 25 6A bands in Area C when there is only 24 6A bands total maybe they should add another region into the Area or fix it again xD I know that UIL Region Alignment for Marching Band is deviating separately from TMEA Region Alignment for Bands and adding onto those region alignment separate from UIL School Region Alignments for Sports xD

Heavy Contenders: Allen HS, Hebron, Marcus, Flour Mound, L.V. Berkner, Rowlett

Top 4 (In Alphabetical Order) Allen (possible 4th), Flour Mound, Hebron, L.V. Berkner (possible 4th), Marcus, Rowlett (possible 4th). 

I can see that they were trying to fix the power house issue but it still exists xD Except now there is 7 Powerhouse in Area C instead of 4 power house of Berkner, Coppell, Rowlett, Duncanville

If there was a Top 5 from a band becoming 6A or adding another region possibly then....

Top 5 (In Alphabetical Order) Allen (possible 4th/5th), Flour Mound, Hebron, L.V. Berkner (possible 4th/5th), Marcus, Rowlett (possible 4th/5th)

Winners: nobody pretty much

Losers: Everybody simply because now there is a powerhouse of 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally AISD will get a better chance than it has had to put some bands into the 5A State Competition. Area D was a nightmare for AISD schools in 2013, with only 2 advancing to finals and no AISD school placing higher than 8th (LBJ). I assume that Leander will move back up to 6A because I think it's just above the cutoff point, so if the new Area E puts 3 5A bands into state regularly it would be:

- Cedar Park

- Dripping Springs

- LBJ

if 4:

- Cedar Park

- Dripping Springs

- LBJ

- McCallum

Based on 2013 Area results, without Leander Schools.