4:00 Vista Ridge H.S., TX
4:15 Aledo H.S., TX
4:30 James Bowie H.S., TX

5:00 Presentation of Awards

Judges:
Music - Matt Harloff, Travis Moddison, Chester Phillips, Todd Zimbelman
Visual - Ken Giese, Nola Jones, Robert Solomon
Chief Judge - Gary Markham

Question - does anyone know where Vandegrift and Vista Ridge will be class wise? 3A ends at 1700 and 4A is open at 1701 for grades 10-12. Doing rough math, that means the border for a class jump would be at about 2267 for a four-year school (disregarding the fact that there are usually more freshmen than seniors at a given school). I know the district's projections has both schools at or above this number for this year, so does anyone have insight? Easing up 3A would be nice, and I think both Vandegrift and Vista Ridge are more than capable of challenging for a class placement in 4A.

I'm not willing to predict outright at this point, but would rather put bands into bands (heh) in alphabetical order.

Top Three:

James Bowie

Leander

Round Rock

Middle:

Cedar Park

Vandegrift

Vista Ridge

Inner Bubble:

Cedar Ridge

Dripping Springs

Westlake

Outer Bubble:

Aledo

Hendrickson*

Winston Churchill

While I think Bowie is probably still the favorite to win, I wouldn't be shocked or surprised in the least to see the other two win, and I'm sure one of them will snag a caption without a tie.

Well, it's really hard to predict results when I have not had the chance to see Bowie, or Round Rock but I'll try my best.

1) Bowie

2) Leander

3) Cedar Park

4) Vandergrift

5) Round Rock

6) Cedar Ridge

7) Vista Ridge

8) Westlake

9) Dripping Springs

10) Up for grabs between Aledo, Westwood, and Hendrickson

Captions:

Visual: Bowie (Bowie probably runs away with this caption)

GE: Leander

Music: Here's where it gets hard for me, I think Leander has a really loud in your face sound and aren't super clean, Cedar Park already sounds really clean on some difficult music, and I imagine Bowie has a great sound. If Cedar Park managed to win music I think they take second and Leander gets third with Bowie winning, however if Leander wins music I think Leander wins the regional, and if Bowie wins music they win Austin again. I'm leaning more towards Bowie winning music and winning first.

Just my 2 cents. I can't wait to see how wrong I am.

1) Leander        Music GE
2)Bowie             Visual
3)Cedar Park
4)Round Rock
5)Vandegrift
6)Cedar Ridge
7)Vista Ridge
8)Westlake
9)Dripping Springs
10) Either Hendrickson or Aledo
Top 5 could switch around for me once I see Bowie and RR but so far from what I've seen this is pretty close to what I believe will happen.

I'm gonna be safe and predict:

1. Bowie

2. Leander

3. Round Rock

4. Cedar Park

5. Vandergrift

6.Cedar Ridge

7.Vista Ridge

8. Westlake

9. Dripping Springs

10. Hendrickson

Visual-Bowie

Music-Bowie/Leander/Cedar Park/Round Rock

GE-Bowie/Leander

I'm fairly certain on my top three, I'm just not sure if Leander or RR will be better right now. I just put Leander in front based off of last year's success, and because I've seen their show this year and they sound fantastic. However unless Bowie is having an off year I think they should be able to win. I heard they have a hard opener this year, so they might not be as clean as they usually are. As for the rest of my picks, I think their placements could easily be switched around, and substituted for bands who I placed outside of finals. 

Question - does anyone know where Vandegrift and Vista Ridge will be class wise? 3A ends at 1700 and 4A is open at 1701 for grades 10-12. Doing rough math, that means the border for a class jump would be at about 2267 for a four-year school (disregarding the fact that there are usually more freshmen than seniors at a given school). I know the district's projections has both schools at or above this number for this year, so does anyone have insight? Easing up 3A would be nice, and I think both Vandegrift and Vista Ridge are more than capable of challenging for a class placement in 4A.

Last year's campus improvement plans for Vandegrift and Vista Ridge put the math for their 10-12th grade enrollments at 1631 and 1676, respectively.

While both schools are in the ballpark for being 4A, I think only Vista Ridge could potentially be 4A, while Vandegrift has less of a chance of becoming 4A.

Granted, there could be a huge influx of people who have moved from outside the district into the attendance zones of those schools.

For now, I'm holding off on placing 2-5. And my belief that James Bowie will win this year is more shaky than last year, but they are nonetheless still the favorite going into this year's contest.

1. James Bowie

2-5.

Cedar Park

Leander

Round Rock

Vandegrift

6. Vista Ridge

7. Dripping Springs

8. Cedar Ridge (Wild Card)

Upper Bubble:

Westlake

Hendrickson

Lower Bubble:

Winston Churchill

Westwood (Semi-dark horse)

Anderson

Pflugerville

Aledo

This is possibly the toughest regional in the country, and some terrific bands won't make finals.  There have been a lot director changes this year, including at Leander, Cedar Ridge, Westlake, and Bowie.  I'll wait until some early competitions and videos to be posted before making any predictions.  On the plus side, Churchill seems to be rebounding.  Their numbers were way down a few years ago.  Now they're at almost 300.

I agree, the results of this contest are impossible to really predict right now. However one thing I'm almost sure of is Bowie's hold on the visual caption at this point. No other group is quite as clean, but maybe that will change by the 26th.

I saw you guys perform Friday night, you looked fantastic. This is the cleanest I've ever seen you this early on in the season. Keep up the good work!

I saw you guys perform Friday night, you looked fantastic. This is the cleanest I've ever seen you this early on in the season. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! While that's certainly true, I feel our show is really geared toward Nationals. Regardless I think we'll do pretty well at Austin. I wish I could post a video, but I'm not really allowed to.

1. Bowie

2. Round Rock

3. Leander

4. Vandegrift

5. Cedar Park

6. Vista Ridge

7. Dripping Springs

8. Hendrickson

9. Cedar Ridge

10. Westlake

I feel confident in the top 3, just not the order. Bowie seems to be the safe pick here though. I've no idea what's going on with Round Rock but they've performed very well the last two years at BOA Austin. Leander has cool stuff in their show but I'm wondering if it'll be as visually stunning as last year. 

I'm then fairly confident in 4-6 being the remaining LISD schools. Depending on how Vandy and CP do, I could see Vista possibly cracking into the top 5. 

7-10 I'm not confident in. Dripping Springs performed at what was, in my opinion, a Grand National Finalist level last year so I'm putting them at 7. I'm also dropping Cedar Ridge down since they lost a ton of their staff. They were an amazing program with a bright future, but I'm scared they're just going to sizzle out. They had what I'd consider one of the most drastic improvements in BOA history (25th in 2012 San Antonio prelims -> 5th in 2013 GN semi-finals) but I'm really nervous they're going to "pull a Ronald Reagan/Lake Park/PCEP/Churchill" and drop placements at competitions very quickly.

I can't make any decisions yet simply because haven't watched many shows but I'll bracket off some bands I think will be in what ranges

1-3: { Bowie, Round Rock, Cedar Park }

4-6: { Vista Ridge, Leander, Vandegrift } (Go LISD!)

7-10: { Dripping Springs, Cedar Ridge, Hendrickson, Westlake }

Bubble: { Aledo, Westwood, Pflugerville(?), Anderson(?) }