I'd love to see a final tally if anyone has it because it had to have been close.  Marcus really nailed their prelim to earned first place but then I thought that Hebron blew the roof off the place in finals and I was a bit surprised by the result.  I had LDB 3rd and truly feel bad for those kids. Their visual performance was absolutely awesome.  I wouldn't be surprised if they finished top 5 Saturday night in San Antonio.

Also, we've been following these events for many years and I was super impressed with the fan support received by many of these programs.  Specific big props to the Mansfield, LDB (nice apples), FloMo (nice streamers), Hebron (the alma mater thing is almost spiritual), and Marcus (alright, alright...) supporters.  Your support for the kids is what makes these events so special.

I do think that Hebron blew the roof off the place, they also has some minor visual issues like spacing and things of that sort. But they were a completely different band from prelims to finals. And I'm willing to bet we will see performances more like their finals run. The thing that I think separates hebron and marcus is their difference of shows. Hebron is all about music and general effect, it's an adorable show. I'm really hoping they add on a preshow and maybe an ending. But I'm not sure about the ending. On the other hand, Marcus goes for visual perfection. Last night that's what they got (basically). With all of the big flashy props and the gongs they have a visual show. They also have difficult music, but I don't think it is quite as musically demanding as Hebron. But I was sitting almost on the top row, and it was easy for me to say that Marcus won visual. You can see that because they took both 1s from the visual category. But there was only a two point difference between these two. I think that if hebron steps up their visual game, that will win. But if marcus can steal music 1s from hebron (not very likely considering their music difficulties), they will win. (Im pretty sure we will see Marcus and Hebron top two, almost guaranteed.)

So basically I think it all comes down to Hebron. If they can lock all of those visual aspects down, they have a pretty darn good chance of winning state, probable just as good of a chance as marcus.

And about the parents, I love watching band parents on the field helping out their kids like moving the pit, props, etc. And for the parents to basically give their kids to the band program for 2 months is just amazing. You only get this sort of dedication from band!

And about the parents, I love watching band parents on the field helping out their kids like moving the pit, props, etc. And for the parents to basically give their kids to the band program for 2 months is just amazing. You only get this sort of dedication from band!

Amen to this!!  For virtually ever band pit/prop crew, the hours are long and work is sometimes difficult but watching our kids excel, getting a "thank you" or getting the occasional "shoutout" at games from the kids and/or directors is the best part of the job. 

The amazing part to me is that for every hour we put in, though, the kids are working harder.   Band kids are truly the best, hardest working kids in schools....I couldn't be more proud of them.

Go Rebels!!

Watching Hebron's area finals performance, I could see how visual performance might have cost them a little bit. It's not quite as clean as I would have expected. Also, I agree that the ending seemed a little abrupt, though you have to remember that this is UIL, where bands are limited to 8 minute performances. I wouldn't be surprised if there's extra stuff that Hebron adds for BOA San Antonio.

Exactly. But what I was thinking was that their musicality and general effect will more than make up for that. And so far the two groups i hve seen really have a sort of perfect visual performance are marcus and the woodlands. The woodlands will be a threat at BOA, and obviously marcus is probably the favorite to win state.

But this year's show from hebron reminds me of marcus shows about 5-10 years ago where they would tell a little story in their show that worked really well with classical music. It's an amazing show and I hope they get their first super regional victory!

BOASA Predictions

1)Hebron

2)CTJ

3)Marcus

4)Woodlands

5)Bowie

(All of these could be switched around)

Music: Hebron

Visual: Woodlands or Marcus

GE: Hebron

Very proud of Haltom tonight! They earned an intensely tough spot at finals!!! Way to go, Pride!!!

By the way, four judges gave us mid to upper 90s out of a 100. One judge gave us a 69. Some judges just march to the beat of their own drummer...pun intended. :)

Wow, just watched Haltom's finals run.  What a cool show!  Those props are designed so well, they look great with the color scheme of the band and guard.  The way they weave in and out of them throughout is really cool.  Some awesome drill in there, particularly in the ballad and closer.  And that final push with the woodwinds weaving in and out of the brass block while they're playing the reprise of the theme from the ballad is a fantastic GE moment, just a fantastic melding of music and visual impact.  You should be very proud of your son/daughter.  Regardless of where they have/will finished this year, it's a very memorable show.  I really enjoyed last years "Endangered" show as well. Great year for Haltom, they're a great band.  

And that final push with the woodwinds weaving in and out of the brass block while they're playing the reprise of the theme from the ballad is a fantastic GE moment, just a fantastic melding of music and visual impact.

I said it on the blog, but wanted to restate it here. That is quite probably going to be my favorite single visual moment of the year. It is just completely and utterly cool.

Wow, just watched Haltom's finals run.  What a cool show!  Those props are designed so well, they look great with the color scheme of the band and guard.  The way they weave in and out of them throughout is really cool.  Some awesome drill in there, particularly in the ballad and closer.  And that final push with the woodwinds weaving in and out of the brass block while they're playing the reprise of the theme from the ballad is a fantastic GE moment, just a fantastic melding of music and visual impact.  You should be very proud of your son/daughter.  Regardless of where they have/will finished this year, it's a very memorable show.  I really enjoyed last years "Endangered" show as well. Great year for Haltom, they're a great band.  

Thanks for your kind words. I was very sad when last year ended, because I loved 'Endangered!' lol This year's show has grown so much throughout the season, it's become one of my all-time favorites. The dads built those props and put them together for each performance. Moms made them "shine" with lots of shellacking. lol It takes a village! 

That weaving through the block...sigh...is indeed beautiful! My mouth always drops open when that begins because, as a former marcher myself, I know how difficult it is to accomplish. Anyway, they are all very proud of what they've done this year. We're all thankful to be a part of it!

Thanks, Xenon! We did read your blog and you always have the nicest things to say. We appreciate you!!!