I think Marcus(3), Bowie(1), Hebron(4), CTJ(5) Reagan(2), Woodlands(7), Westlake(8), Cedar Ridge(10), Coppell(6) and Flower Mound(9) will likely make finals. I could see Friendswood and Keller right on the border, though. Sad not to see L.D. Bell, I'm sure they would be near the top of finals.

The statement about Bell being near the top of would make me think you would rank Flower Mound higher since they beat Bell in 2 contests this year.

Yeah, probably not.

It's probably time to accept that Bell isn't an elite band anymore (at least at the level of Marcus, Hebron, Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, TWHS). Given their performance this whole season, we can probably say they're more on the level of FloMo and they would have been, at best, a bottom five band for state finals and at worst a 10-15 band.

First off why the Bell bashing? They came in 5th in, arguably, one of the toughest areas there is in the state. I thought their show was awesome. Second Flomo took third so saying they are on Flomo's level would mean they are even with the third best band in area B. Great program, great band. Bands have good years and not so good years. Their design and execution is great. I will say they are more geared towards BOA and am looking forward to seeing them there this weekend.

Good luck to all bands!!!!

It's probably time to accept that Bell isn't an elite band anymore (at least at the level of Marcus, Hebron, Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, TWHS). Given their performance this whole season, we can probably say they're more on the level of FloMo and they would have been, at best, a bottom five band for state finals and at worst a 10-15 band.

I find that usually when people "accept" that a band isn't an elite band they tend to be surprised when that band does much better than expected. We should all keep an open mind and remember that anything can happen with these contests. 

This is something I've been pondering for a while - what is it about area B that so ubiquitously produces excellent bands? Is it the proximity to UNT?

While I agree with the popular choice for top three (Marcus, Hebron, and Bowie) I can't help but always be floored by ALL of the talent Texas puts out. There's nothing like Texas marching bands! 

First off why the Bell bashing? They came in 5th in, arguably, one of the toughest areas there is in the state. I thought their show was awesome. Second Flomo took third so saying they are on Flomo's level would mean they are even with the third best band in area B. Great program, great band. Bands have good years and not so good years. Their design and execution is great. I will say they are more geared towards BOA and am looking forward to seeing them there this weekend.

Good luck to all bands!!!!

I'm not necessarily bashing them or FloMo, but maybe I was too matter o' fact. I think that both are great bands on absolute terms. Just in relative terms (keep in mind relative to the very top bands in Texas) I don't see either band in the top 5. Yes they were in a competitive, but just looking at the ordinal drop off between 2nd and 3rd in both prelims and finals, you could argue that Bell and FloMo weren't exactly at the same level as Hebron and Marcus. Then look outside of area B the fact that top 3 at area D (the area that consistently puts 3-4 bands in finals) were neck to neck (usually Bowie kind of just runs away with it and I would say that this is a pretty good year for Bowie) and apparently Coppell and Duncanville were quite close. It just seems to me that Bell wouldn't have made top 5 given the areas performances and that they wouldn't perform leaps and bounds better than FloMo. 

I find that usually when people "accept" that a band isn't an elite band they tend to be surprised when that band does much better than expected. We should all keep an open mind and remember that anything can happen with these contests. 

More power to that band if they prove their critics wrong, but I am just working off of the recent trend that's show up in their placement at contest. 

This is something I've been pondering for a while - what is it about area B that so ubiquitously produces excellent bands? Is it the proximity to UNT?

While I agree with the popular choice for top three (Marcus, Hebron, and Bowie) I can't help but always be floored by ALL of the talent Texas puts out. There's nothing like Texas marching bands! 

Probably the same reason that Austin produces great bands. These areas are definitely on the more affluent side and they foster communities that appreciate the performing arts.

Saw the finals breakdown by the judges from area b. Some weirdness, most notably Plano east taking second from one music judge, while only taking 7th from the other two. Not quite sure what he or she saw. Hebron also right on marcus' tail in ensemble visual, but lagging behind in individual visual.

There's no individual captions, all 5 judges are up top.  No field judges.  

I really question how much the raw scores really matter in both the grand scheme of things and on a smaller level. Yeah, there's a rubric, but it just seems like judges throw out a semi-random number for the first couple of bands and work everyone else around that. Knowing the UIL rubric, I can't see any reason for that wide a discrepancy between Marcus and Hebron in any case.

I sort of even think that the fact that only the ordinals matter for advancing actually encourages what seems like random raw scores with fairly improbable gaps. As long as the ten are in order, it effectively doesn't matter if you used 981-990 to rank the groups versus 1-10 or the full 1-1000.