2013 BOA Grand Nationals

Wow, this is just about the best outcome Texas could have hoped for with respect to the Grand Nats Finals. It kinda solidifies our spot in the hierarchy of the band world. We pretty much showed the rest of the nation that the Grand Nationals needs to be moved around to different places, although I'm sure Music for All have their contracts with Lucas Oil Stadium. 

Seriously, though, how much talent is missed at every GN because of location? This also doesn't include all the fantastic Florida and California bands. Tarpon Springs? Etiwanda? I found it impressive that Ayala also made finals as one of the few California bands there. 

Either way, super proud year for Texas bands! I can't wait til Hebron announces that they're going to Nats. I'm definitely booking tickets and hotel rooms early if they ever say that they'll go!

that may be sooner than you think...

I'm still wondering whether or not The Woodlands will break their every other year GN pattern to go back and defend their title next year. It would be wonderful if they go with Hebron, CTJ, Bowie, and Vandegrift, although it might not be feasible. I'm more confident about those five making finals than I was about the five that went this year (though not by all that much).

I'm still wondering whether or not The Woodlands will break their every other year GN pattern to go back and defend their title next year. It would be wonderful if they go with Hebron, CTJ, Bowie, and Vandegrift, although it might not be feasible. I'm more confident about those five making finals than I was about the five that went this year (though not by all that much).

Are you freaking kidding? Where have you been all season. Shame on you....those 5 bands deserve more than your last comment. Shame, shame, shame ...

Are you freaking kidding? Where have you been all season. Shame on you....those 5 bands deserve more than your last comment. Shame, shame, shame ...

You guys stop this!! This is a place for peoples opinions! Not everyones opinion is the same as yours. I agree that TW, CTJ, Hebron, Bowie, and Vandegrift would have been a more interesting line up, but there is always next year. So all of you shooting down other peoples opinion just because you dont like it, shame on you.

Ha. I'm not kidding. Where were you when the SA results came out? Granted, GN results didn't exactly follow SA results to a T (see Blue Springs). Also, you apparently didn't see all those comments I made about how all five of the bands that went up this year were finalist worthy. Perhaps you don't frequent the BOA forums, where I've been a member (under different names) since, like, the year 2000. Shame, shame, shame, blah, blah, blah. I don't care. You better get used to differing opinions. When you grow up, you're going to encounter plenty of people that don't think the same way you do.

Ha... That was funny! Why don't you look up in the dictionary the difference between an opinion and disrespect... I don't have a problem with opinions, just people who blatantly hurt someone else's hardwork with disrespect. If you don't care... Then drop it.

You guys are making something out of nothing. Neither my nor Rubisco's comments, as I explained earlier, are meant to diminish any accomplishment the Round Rock (I'm assuming you guys are from Round Rock, but either way it doesn't matter) Band has made this season. When your band places in the bottom half at San Antonio, it is not people's first instinct to automatically assume you will finish in the top third of Grand Nationals. Did you guys deserve your amazing placement at nats? Of course. But if the rest of the bands that had attended San Antonio that had finished ahead of the Grand Nats attendees had actually gone to Indy as well, I would have guessed (before the actual competition) that they would place higher. Would they have actually placed higher? Maybe and maybe not. We won't ever know.

When you predict finalist locks, you typically choose the bands with higher scores throughout the season and higher scores historically. Hebron, CTJ, and Bowie all had those this season. It's no disrespect, but a process of extrapolation as well as a bit of opinion mixed in. 

An example of disrespect would be repetitive negative comments about your band, but nobody has come even close to saying things like that. Everyone has shown you guys an outpouring of admiration. Remember, when you are on the internet, you are a representative of your band - keep that in mind right now. 

You guys are making something out of nothing. Neither my nor Rubisco's comments, as I explained earlier, are meant to diminish any accomplishment the Round Rock (I'm assuming you guys are from Round Rock, but either way it doesn't matter) Band has made this season. When your band places in the bottom half at San Antonio, it is not people's first instinct to automatically assume you will finish in the top third of Grand Nationals. Did you guys deserve your amazing placement at nats? Of course. But if the rest of the bands that had attended San Antonio that had finished ahead of the Grand Nats attendees had actually gone to Indy as well, I would have guessed (before the actual competition) that they would place higher. Would they have actually placed higher? Maybe and maybe not. We won't ever know.

When you predict finalist locks, you typically choose the bands with higher scores throughout the season and higher scores historically. Hebron, CTJ, and Bowie all had those this season. It's no disrespect, but a process of extrapolation as well as a bit of opinion mixed in. 

An example of disrespect would be repetitive negative comments about your band, but nobody has come even close to saying things like that. Everyone has shown you guys an outpouring of admiration. Remember, when you are on the internet, you are a representative of your band - keep that in mind right now. 

Yes.

Ha. I'm not kidding. Where were you when the SA results came out? Granted, GN results didn't exactly follow SA results to a T (see Blue Springs). Also, you apparently didn't see all those comments I made about how all five of the bands that went up this year were finalist worthy. Perhaps you don't frequent the BOA forums, where I've been a member (under different names) since, like, the year 2000. Shame, shame, shame, blah, blah, blah. I don't care. You better get used to differing opinions. When you grow up, you're going to encounter plenty of people that don't think the same way you do.

I told you...

Ok... Here's the deal. I have said this before but I'll say it again.... I am neither a Round Rock kid nor do I have a dog in the fight. Just keep the opinions classy. Although this is proving great reading material for others the fact of the matter is.... 5 bands represented Texas the best the could, they are the ones that were there, and we will never know what "would have happened" this year, last year or next year with any high school band that does not attend Grand Nats. None of my opinions commented on anything but positive praise for all 5 bands. And you are missing the whole point of this silly silly back and forth commentary conversation. When someone chooses to take it the dark side... Expect feedback Edited by Drum major

RRISD had two schools going to GN for the first time both making finals. Is this the first time something like this has happened?

In 2002 Churchill and reagan band both from North East ISD went to grand nationals and made finals. Claudia Taylor Johnson is also from this school district and has competed and made finals. 

RRISD had two schools going to GN for the first time both making finals. Is this the first time something like this has happened?

Spring ISD has two grand national champions. 

Spring HS (1993)

Westfield HS (2003)

And, of course there is the Region 9 trifecta of 

Spring HS (1993)

Westfield HS (2003)

The Woodlands HS (2013)

So, no, it is not strange that clusters of musical excellence appear in middle class suburbs of large cities. 

Spring ISD has two grand national champions. 

Spring HS (1993)

Westfield HS (2003)

And, of course there is the Region 9 trifecta of 

Spring HS (1993)

Westfield HS (2003)

The Woodlands HS (2013)

So, no, it is not strange that clusters of musical excellence appear in middle class suburbs of large cities. 

There are lots of districts with multiple schools that go - I think the question was two schools from the same district making finals in the same year.

Hebron and Marcus are the same school district as well.

Even though this isn't the first time two schools from the same district attended and made finals this IS the first time that two schools from the same district attended for the FIRST TIME and made finals :)

Seriously, Texas bands need to collaborate one year and send something ridiculous like....13 bands and just dominate.  How awesome would that be!?  My dream line up:

TWHS, Hebron, Marcus, LDBell, Ronald Reagan, CTJ, Bowie, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Vandergrift, Cedar Park, Winston Churchill, & Coppell.

Haha countless Indianapolis hotel managers just had a heart attack at the thought!