2013 BOA Grand Nationals

That spreadsheet makes me wish more Texas bands had made the trip.  Hebron for sure but really any of the top 5 or 6 in San Antonio.  That competition was tight.  So many great bands!!  GN is going to be even tighter.  I do not envy the judges.  I think the biggest surprises will be who doesn't get into finals.  Some incredible bands may not make it.  Then the battle for the top 8 spots is going to be unreal.  Carmel looks like the best odds but who knows??  Any band can have a great performance and move up in the rankings.  Looking forward to watching it.

Best of luck to the Texas Bands!!!!!!  And Blue Springs!!!!  Hope you return to SA next year!!

I'm not going to make my official predictions until after BOA Indianapolis. But I will say these are my top 3:

1) The Woodlands - They have everything going for them. One of their best shows and it's on the anniversary of Spring and Westfield's win as well (I can dream, right?)

2) Carmel - Have been climbing all season and I think they'll peak/overtake Avon

3) Avon

From the point of view of an overly proud Texan, I really wish Marcus had chosen to go last year and Hebron to go this year in Marcus' place. Marcus would have likely won in 2012, and I think Hebron would make the top 4 this year.

Random observation: Does anybody else notice a similarity between Carmel and Hebron? Here are my thoughts:

1. Both are probably the best group in terms of music performance in their respective state this year, or are at least very close.

2. Their shows tend to show off individual sections. 

3. They tend to have shows that are never in your face, but as somebody said elsewhere (probably MFA forums) "burn slowly throughout."

4. They both have blue uniforms.

Am I right, or am I right?

Yeah, I think there is a similarity between Carmel and Hebron. They are kind of like Texas and Indiana twins. If I had to describe Hebron right now, I would say they seem like a hybrid of both Carmel and the old Reagan. Kind of funny how they both have similar uniforms and styles. If Hebron goes to GN soon, I would love to see them next to each other at retreat. It would be kinda creepy.  :P

On another note, I seriously want The Woodlands to take back the Eagle for Texas. It has been out of Texas for far too long. 

I'm curious on everybody's thoughts on the RRISD schools. Cedar Ridge's show is one of my personal favorites of the year, but I'm wondering how the judges will see it. What does everyone think? Will they score as high in music as they did in San Antonio or was that just a case of erratic judging? And how would this likely affect music GE? From what I could hear, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 5 in music performance if they're to make GN finals. 

FYI - For all txband fans out there watching the live stream on Music for All's website, performance times in Indianapolis are Eastern Standard Time.

Texas Bands performing tomorrow are as follows:

7:45 AM - Marcus

9:30 AM - LD Bell

11:00 AM - The Woodlands

6:00 PM - Round Rock

7:30 PM - Cedar Ridge

The above times are Central Standard Time (no need to convert)

As mentioned above, here is the link to the TW send off performance. Enjoy!

This show is just flat out incredible. It has the "IT" factor and vibe, more than any other show this year, IMO. GE is through the roof as everyone has stared numerous times. Visually, they knock 2011 out of the park and I think they are on par musically. The biggest thing that I think could be an issue is that section of SUPER exposed brass articulation building into that "W" set. But. Wow. The show is more thrilling everytime I see it.

I really, really hope they finally pull off the win.

This show is just flat out incredible. It has the "IT" factor and vibe, more than any other show this year, IMO. GE is through the roof as everyone has stared numerous times. Visually, they knock 2011 out of the park and I think they are on par musically. The biggest thing that I think could be an issue is that section of SUPER exposed brass articulation building into that "W" set. But. Wow. The show is more thrilling everytime I see it.

I really, really hope they finally pull off the win.

Yeah, the brass articulation was a little off in that section due to the cold weather that night...roughly 50 degrees that evening. They'll be fine in the dome this weekend.

In what way did they seem to improve? New closer, just better overall performance, better musicality, more energy? I won't be watching the live feed until saturday night.

I saw Marcus this morning. They were crisp, clean, and fast. Their sound quality is phenomenal and I wouldn't be surprised if they take the music caption in semis or finals. The closer has a lot of effect with the snakes and the snake pots as well as the "CHARMED" spelled out on the final drill set. Really loved the show! Didn't get to see LD Bell, but will see them tomorrow.

I haven't watched anyone yet, but I'm sure the Lucas Oil acoustics are helping out the TX bands. Alamodome is kind of crap in that regard. Every year I'm impressed by how much better the bands sound moving from the Alamodome to Lucas Oil.

I saw TW perform this morning and Lucas Oil just amplifies their music quality and GE. The performance was through the roof for sure, so exciting to watch. The camera angles through the live feed are way better than the SA regional live feed.

In what way did they seem to improve? New closer, just better overall performance, better musicality, more energy? I won't be watching the live feed until saturday night.

Sorry for not being specific. 

I felt that at BOA SA Marcus sounded a little anemic or unsure when they played, but this morning they seemed more confident and their sound was stronger. Marcus added drill to the end of their show which was expected as they marched in place at the end of their show at BOA SA.

Bell is a lot more dynamic! Man, they added some contrast to their show. They sound stronger both in terms of their woodwinds in their exposures and in terms of brass in their impacts. They added a new ending.

Here are semi-finals scores

1. 95.60 – The Woodlands
2. 95.00 – Carmel
3. 94.40 – Avon
4. 93.10 – Round Rock
5. 92.90 – Cedar Ridge
6. 92.60 – Marian Catholic
7. 91.30 – Marcus
8. 91.15 – L.D. Bell
9. 90.25 – Lawrence Central
10. 90.15 – William Mason
11. 89.80 – Harrison
12. 89.40 – Ayala
13. 88.30 – Center Grove
14. 87.65 – Lake Central
15. 87.40 – Franklin
16. 86.95 – Blue Springs
17. 86.15 – American Fork
18. 86.05 – PCEP
19. 86.05 – Ben Davis
20. 85.95 – Jenks
21. 85.70 – Dobyns-Bennett
22. 85.30 – Centerville
23. 81.95 – North Hardin
24. 81.45 – Castle
25. 80.90 – O’Fallon Township
26. 80.65 – Walled Lake Central
27. 80.60 – Boiling Springs
28. 79.20 – Lockport Township
29. 79.00 – Reeths-Puffer
30. 78.75 – Lake Park
31. 78.00 – Dublin Coffman
32. 76.95 – Bellbrook
33. 76.80 – Adair County
34. 75.75 – Beechwood
35. 74.90 – Bourbon County
36. 69.50 – Archbishop Alter

HUGE congrats to all of the Texas bands, especially the underdogs, Round Rock and Cedar Ridge! CR unfortunately took a beating between semi-finals and finals.