Your Fearless 2013 Predictions

Never a bad time to make some crazy predictions.. let's liven this place up a little bit! This is all just for fun so no one take this too seriously.

1) The Woodlands and Marcus duke it out between San Antonio and Nationals. One of them brings the Eagle back home

2) A new regional champion at BOA Austin

3) The UIL 4A State Championship trophy is a toss up between Friendswood, Vandegrift, and Cedar Park 

4) Round Rock joins the ranks as a Grand National Finalist 

anyone else got anything? :P

I'm seeing CP, Vandegrift, and DS duke it out up at the top of state finals. Obviously a little biased but would also say Vista Ridge may have a chance of finally advancing to state again after a 5 year hiatus :D

Close competition with Leander though, we'll see when we get closer to area.

Round Rock is powerhousing it up, I have high hopes for them at GN.

Bowie/Cedar Park/Round Rock all have high shots at Austin, the cut for finals will be a close fight.

I'm seeing CP, Vandegrift, and DS duke it out up at the top of state finals. Obviously a little biased but would also say Vista Ridge may have a chance of finally advancing to state again after a 5 year hiatus :D

Close competition with Leander though, we'll see when we get closer to area.

Round Rock is powerhousing it up, I have high hopes for them at GN.

Bowie/Cedar Park/Round Rock all have high shots at Austin, the cut for finals will be a close fight.

Won't CTJ be at BOA Dairy Queen? (haha couldn't resist putting that) I'm a huge CTJ fanboy, so I'll back them for the championship. 

Won't CTJ be at BOA Dairy Queen? (haha couldn't resist putting that) I'm a huge CTJ fanboy, so I'll back them for the championship. 

My contenders for Austin finalists: Anderson, CP, Cedar Ridge, CTJ, Bowie, Connally, LT, Leander, Pflugerville, Round Rock, Sandra Day O'Connor, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge, Westlake

Guys, I've been out of the loop for the past 5 years. Is LD Bell still as dominate as they were then? 

They're still up there. Although barely placed 3rd (CTJ was close behind them and they were far from second) at last year's BOA SA. I think it was a rebuilding year for them and their show was insanely demanding marching wise.

I guess we'll have to see what they bring this year!

Honestly, I was pretty impressed with what I could hear of Avon's music performance on the one YouTube video with the Football radio guys talking over the show. I thought they sounded a lot better than they usually do early season, which could bode well for them. Like... oh, I don't know... a fourth championship? (Of course, I'm going to reserve judgment for when I actually see a good video of them!) I always just assume they'll be visually spectacular.

Here's a video that should interest a lot of people on here. I have to say, the opener looks INSANELY difficult. I mean, like, close to Avon difficult, which for a Texas band scares me. (Do they really have to move that much and that fast?) Right now it looks like a hot mess, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it's, like, mid-September. Also, from the backfield angle it was apparently recorded from, the music sounds pretty wonky in parts (though fabulous in others). I just hope the trumpet I hear sticking out every now and then is some sort of extra playing backfield. Hahaha... Again, it's probably best to wait for a better video. Design looks amazing. Lots of Wes Cartwright-esque flag stuff.

http://vimeo.com/74575588

Honestly, I was pretty impressed with what I could hear of Avon's music performance on the one YouTube video with the Football radio guys talking over the show. I thought they sounded a lot better than they usually do early season, which could bode well for them. Like... oh, I don't know... a fourth championship? (Of course, I'm going to reserve judgment for when I actually see a good video of them!) I always just assume they'll be visually spectacular.

Here's a video that should interest a lot of people on here. I have to say, the opener looks INSANELY difficult. I mean, like, close to Avon difficult, which for a Texas band scares me. (Do they really have to move that much and that fast?) Right now it looks like a hot mess, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it's, like, mid-September. Also, from the backfield angle it was apparently recorded from, the music sounds pretty wonky in parts (though fabulous in others). I just hope the trumpet I hear sticking out every now and then is some sort of extra playing backfield. Hahaha... Again, it's probably best to wait for a better video. Design looks amazing. Lots of Wes Cartwright-esque flag stuff.

Wow, TW is absolutely flying across the field and its only September! I guess we should expect difficult shows from them by now, but that looks like it will be on the level of "Sequenza" craziness. Super intrigued now.

Officially excited to see which this season will bring!

Don't you just love it when football season starts up? Treasure trove! I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand, it looks much more manageable than last year's show, so they should be able to clean it up. On the other hand, they still don't seem to have as much power in their sound as they used to have. It sounds kind of anemic, though it's probably not as weak as it was last year. (I'm sure the early season learning curve probably contributes to that.) Design-wise there are some neat elements. I love the rocks. They remind me of the Little Mermaid! When they opened with Saint-Saens' Aquarium I half-expected the Marcus crabs to pop out. Heh. Also, when they spill out of that condensed block for what seems to be the first big hit, it was pretty much visually orgasmic. On the whole, though, I think it's sort of a mixed bag. It still looks like they're trying to do the kinds of shows Wes Cartwright would do if he were still there. The problem is that he's not, so it could turn out sort of half-baked again. We'll have to reserve judgment until later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXnvlbGabM

Hahaha... I'm rabidly searching for videos without much luck. Here's College Park. I think they're improving every year. I'm really impressed. They should be a strong contender for finals at Conroe and maybe at San Antonio as well. They were right there on the bubble last year if I recall correctly.

Google Austin American Statesman. Go to sports, scroll down to high school football and then to battle of the bands. This week they feature Vandegrift and Hendrickson. Last week they had Cedar Ridge. Look for the 2013 schedule, you can click on Cedar Ridge from there.

Google Austin American Statesman. Go to sports, scroll down to high school football and then to battle of the bands. This week they feature Vandegrift and Hendrickson. Last week they had Cedar Ridge. Look for the 2013 schedule, you can click on Cedar Ridge from there.

What a great resource! Vandegrift is really rocking it this year. I'm pretty much stunned by them right now. Cedar Ridge plays strongly, but could use a little more visual flair. Ditto for Hendrickson.

Don't you just love it when football season starts up? Treasure trove! I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand, it looks much more manageable than last year's show, so they should be able to clean it up. On the other hand, they still don't seem to have as much power in their sound as they used to have. It sounds kind of anemic, though it's probably not as weak as it was last year. (I'm sure the early season learning curve probably contributes to that.) Design-wise there are some neat elements. I love the rocks. They remind me of the Little Mermaid! When they opened with Saint-Saens' Aquarium I half-expected the Marcus crabs to pop out. Heh. Also, when they spill out of that condensed block for what seems to be the first big hit, it was pretty much visually orgasmic. On the whole, though, I think it's sort of a mixed bag. It still looks like they're trying to do the kinds of shows Wes Cartwright would do if he were still there. The problem is that he's not, so it could turn out sort of half-baked again. We'll have to reserve judgment until later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXnvlbGabM

I love Bell's use of Harry Potter's Underwater Secrets in transition!

What a great resource! Vandegrift is really rocking it this year. I'm pretty much stunned by them right now. Cedar Ridge plays strongly, but could use a little more visual flair. Ditto for Hendrickson.

Agreed on Vandegrift!  Can't wait for them to add the final movement.  I think this will indeed be stunning by season's end.  Cedar Park is also looking/sounding extremely good, as well. I saw them at their football game last week and was very impressed + gorgeous ensemble balance.  I am going to Leander ISD Band Night on Monday to watch all 5 LISD schools do their shows live - always a great evening and nice to watch without the chatter of the football game all around.  

I fearlessly predict that I will be hungry for some DQ after the Dallas, no I'm sorry, after the DAIRY QUEEN regional!   XD

In all seriousness, San Antonio is super exciting as always. James Bowie is returning to it after their absence last year, so that makes finals even MORE packed. Gonna be a great year!