Your Fearless 2013 Predictions

Yeah. This confirms it for me. This is the best I've heard Avon early season in a while. Aside from the woodwind chorus at the very beginning, which sounds excessively bright and brittle, the opener is scorchingly brilliant. I'm not as sold on the other two sections, particularly the one with the singing, but they could grow on me. Really, though, Avon is pretty much lightyears ahead right now. The only Texas group that I've seen (a small bit from) that I think could challenge them is The Woodlands, whose show is typically brilliantly designed, but performance-wise is a mess. Oh, Marcus. Where are you?

Google Austin American Statesman. Go to sports, scroll down to high school football and then to battle of the bands. This week they feature Vandegrift and Hendrickson. Last week they had Cedar Ridge. Look for the 2013 schedule, you can click on Cedar Ridge from there.

You can also click on LEHMAN who actually beat Cedar ridge in that little showdown for the battle of the bands.... Just saying. Look out for some new kids on the block.

Hey, no hard feelings, right?

Just to be clear....

1. This is a forum. I.e. To discuss and ask questions of each other. Unless it is blatant disrespectful don't call someone out!

2. Based on what Cedar Ridge did at Dripping Springs Drum Contest, and what I have seen so far...if they were holding back at BOA... You do the math.

Just saying"...........

Just to be clear....

1. This is a forum. I.e. To discuss and ask questions of each other. Unless it is blatant disrespectful don't call someone out!

2. Based on what Cedar Ridge did at Dripping Springs Drum Contest, and what I have seen so far...if they were holding back at BOA... You do the math.

Just saying"...........

Yes, I know that. I did not call you out for disrespect. You asked a question, as one would do on a forum. I was just double checking.

And I understand the confusion. I apologize for not being too clear when making my original comment.

Just to be clear....

Just saying"...........

I believe cedar ridge did very well at the dripping springs drum contest.

But no - the battle of the bands wasn't published or passed out since it was the very first football game the group did.  The directors chose to not make it a big deal.   

For BOA Austin, they did really well - there was a lot of competition there.  A lot of bands did really well.  So did Cedar Ridge.  Had their been a finals I'm sure their numbers would have went up but for this early season the numbers were pretty high.  It's early season. 

I watched almost every band there - yes there were some fantastic bands.  I think cedar ridge was one of them.   Were they the best?  

Well you can be good without being the best at everything you do and even though I love the cedar ridge show, objectively I wouldn't have ranked them the best, no.  That being said I wouldn't have ranked most of the bands where they were.  Being that I don't actually 'play' a musical instrument it would be fair to say my viewpoint is 100% GE :)   

The way the comment sounded 'were you still doing that at BOA' sounded very belittling however.  Not publicising a youtube video isn't the same as not doing well at a competition.  

Here is a daring prediction: if there are four Area D spots to State, then all of them will be LISD High Schools. Hopefully there are five and I will be able to add Dripping Springs making the prediction more believable. Also an LISD High School will win 4A State this year, the question is who?

As a Hays student, Abbie, were you at Cap City? How did we do? I would like to know our strengths and weaknesses from an outsider's point of view. I have not gotten a chance to see the performance but our music scores were incredible, especially in our winds, it seems our drumline and color guard are lacking the most.

Hays,
First off I'd like to say you have some nice uniforms! Most of my critiques would be with the design of the show, but y'all can't really control that so I won't talk about that. Y'all did a great job with what was given to you. I would stop there normally but you did ask for critiques and don't take these personally I really want you to succeed: The drill was clean for most of the first and second movements, however, it got dirty when there were rotating diags or boxes, especially in the end. Musically there is a lot of room for improvement. In a lot of moments in the show, the trombones overpower almost the entire brass section. I get that they know how to play really well, but if you replaced that sound with the euphonium or tuba sound, the band would be more resonant (think of it as a Carolina Crown sound it's an exaggeration but it gets the point across). And I think that takes us into the topic of balance. Some moments sound fairly good but most of the time, it sounds amateurish and not because y'all are not good players trust me y'all are good players, it's just that there's a lack of balance; knowing how loud each section in the band should be at a certain part in the marching show . There's also a lack of clarity partly due to a lack of balance but also because the Technical sections don't quite match up and sometimes there's just a mush of sound. I could go on and on but I'll stop myself there. Overall a very strong performance.