Marching shows 2012-2013

I'm a senior myself, but after going through my first and well last BOA performance last season, I know I'll be attending these events after graduation as a spectator. So, my school has already got their show concept down (Circus theme) anyone else's school say anything yet?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat you are, it's weird hearing them announce it and knowing you won't be a part of it.

My (old) school's doing a Ballet Sacra show. Heard the first version of the opener.

It's fast (around 180 for about 5 and 1/2 minutes of the show).

And the wind parts are harder than they've ever been.

Show design is up to that of our 2004 3A bronze medalist show, so definitely on par with the hardest show they've done.

Scott Coulson (retired from Mesquite Poteet) came and observed our entire program for 2 days in February in order to tell what we can do as directors, students, and as a whole program to become the best we can be. Probably moving to a 2 period format, 1 for each of our bands, and ect. Lots of other little things as well.

They're putting EVERYTHING on the table next year, great risk. But that can come with great reward. Really looking forward to being on the spectator side.

Oh, they also got new uniforms:

421086_10150557603770925_250853500924_9310947_621367032_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat you are, it's weird hearing them announce it and knowing you won't be a part of it.

My (old) school's doing a Ballet Sacra show. Heard the first version of the opener.

Show design is up to that of our 2004 3A bronze medalist show, so definitely on par with the hardest show they've done.

Scott Coulson (retired from Mesquite Poteet) came and observed our entire program for 2 days in February in order to tell what we can do as directors, students, and as a whole program to become the best we can be. Probably moving to a 2 period format, 1 for each of our bands, and ect. Lots of other little things as well.

They're putting EVERYTHING on the table next year, great risk. But that can come with great reward. Really looking forward to being on the spectator side.

I really like the shako and ploom, they look awesome :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
http://wakelandband.com/2012-marching-show/

Wakeland put out a picture for their show

Wakeland (Denton, SA, GN): "The Pied Piper"-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qESK1tSx1pc

Concerto in E Minor for Violin and Orchestra by Felix Mendelssohn

Symphony No. 40 in G Minor by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Suite No. 2 in B Minor: VII. Badinerie by Johann Sebastian Bach

Slavonic Dance No. 2 by Antonin Dvorak

Flight of the Bumblebee by Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Symphony No. 8 in B Minor by Franz Schubert

• 4 weeks later...

Figures Scott would pick Ballet Sacra, The show he won state in '97 with and is still one of the best shows Poteet has ever marched...Great choice of music for that show is what got me hooked on marching band, and drove me to be a music teacher and I was in 4th grade when I saw and heard this show..(Helps that my cousin had the trumpet solos) I know from talking with Scott after I graduated (I live 3 houses down) he has always wanted to do that show again for someone.

• 3 weeks later...
As promised, here is last night's preview concert. This was put together with only five hours of rehearsal with the new band members. Enjoy, and crank it up.

What an AWESOME show! Sensemaya is such an awesome piece; I remember marching it during the 2010 season. I hope I can make it to San Antonio to watch the end result! Cedar Park is always a joy to watch. You guys are extremely talented!

I graduated so I haven't actually heard any of it in person yet, but I heard that Hebron is likely playing Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra for one of their movements. I know for a fact the kids are so determined after our devastating results at SA last year. I'm so excited for them!

Into your eyes - Peter Gabriel

"In Your Eyes"?

The light, the heat. *your eyes*

I am complete. *in your eyes*

There should be just a little nod to "Sledgehammer" in there. The beginning of Summer would be perfect for the opening flute part in Sledgehammer.

• 3 weeks later...
What an AWESOME show! Sensemaya is such an awesome piece; I remember marching it during the 2010 season. I hope I can make it to San Antonio to watch the end result! Cedar Park is always a joy to watch. You guys are extremely talented!

I graduated so I haven't actually heard any of it in person yet, but I heard that Hebron is likely playing Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra for one of their movements. I know for a fact the kids are so determined after our devastating results at SA last year. I'm so excited for them!

I just learned that Hebron has brought in a new colorguard instructor from out of state to upgrade that group and a new asst band director that will concentrate on visuals. I will also be interested to see what Hebron does this year with their drill. The Hebron drill is typically so fast and so difficult that I have often thought that it gets in the way of their music. I was reminded recently that Hebron has made 3 straight 5A state contests so they are setting the bar high.

I know a little bit about Coppell High School's show...but not allowed to reveal too much...

They will field around 270 members.

Playing Classical opera from a single composer.

Drill Designer, Visual Designers are people who work with L.D. Bell, Broken Arrow High School.

Music Arranger Don Hill (Phantom Regiment, L.D. Bell, Broken Arrow, etc)

Should be an interesting year.

I know a little bit about Coppell High School's show...but not allowed to reveal too much...

They will field around 270 members.

Playing Classical opera from a single composer.

Drill Designer, Visual Designers are people who work with L.D. Bell, Broken Arrow High School.

Music Arranger Don Hill (Phantom Regiment, L.D. Bell, Broken Arrow, etc)

Should be an interesting year.

Coppell surprises me -- either in a good or bad way -- every year. The 2008 show had a fantastic slow march drill that got better as the year went on and peaked at state. Very involved and dynamic male drum major. I believe they finished in the top 5 that year.

2009 was very disappointing and I don't believe they even made finals at BOA Arlington.

2010 was a very creative show with retro music and visuals and very strong solos. Started the season rather sluggish and again peaked in San Antonio and again finishing in the top 5.

2011 - I'm not even recalling it right now. Interesting.

No predictions here. When Coppell decides to play the game, they can obviously do it.

This might be a little off topic, but why do some high schools keep their marching shows secret until their first contest? I understand that getting arranging rights takes a while, and you wouldn't want to say your performing X, Y, and Z and then not... but if the HS tells its students, why can't everyone else know about it?

This might be a little off topic, but why do some high schools keep their marching shows secret until their first contest? I understand that getting arranging rights takes a while, and you wouldn't want to say your performing X, Y, and Z and then not... but if the HS tells its students, why can't everyone else know about it?

I ask myself that question almost every day during the Summer. Directors seem to be scared poopless about this information coming out before the first contest. Personally, I don't understand it and I probably never will. What gets on my nerves are the posts from the students who know about the show but are forbidden from saying anything.

"I KNOW OUR SHOW BUT IT'S A SECRET! LAWL TROLL!!!"

I'm not saying that programs should rent a twin-engine plane and fly the show title around the town on a banner. What I'm saying is that directors should be prepared for this information to come out once they tell their students about the show.

If you're really curious about what a school is doing, you can always look up their website or even their parent's association website and see what you can find there.

Just as a historical note; Coppell has used Wes Cartwright before in 2007 at very least.

Scott decided to bring Wes in for the 2006 Fall season. He was responsible for the ALL white look of the band that year (yes, including the guard), and he also did a tiny bit with visual design. That show was all Hindemith. They finished 7th at State.

Then in 2007, they performed a Gershwin show that primarily featured Rhapsody in Blue and Piano Concerto in F. Wes was still involved, but they used the Broken Arrow director for drill design. That's when the visual element of their show really started to shift away from large, curvy shapes that move slowly to something more interesting. They were just shy of finals at BOA San Antonio.

In 2008, they performed a Planets show, but I can't say whether they used Wes or not. I believe Nate Nugent was responsible for this drill. They received the Bronze Medal at State.

2009 was the all Resphigi show. Bad arrangements and even worse drill lead to an unsuccessful year at BOA San Antonio. I would be surprised if Wes was involved here, as he had not been involved enough in previous years for the price he charged if I remember correctly.

2010 was the band's first attempt at a truly themed show in recent years, and it did so in the form of Norman Rockwell. It was also the first time in quite a while that that the show featured music from different composers. They earned 5th or 6th place at State.

2011 was a sloppy year for the band because the drill moved, and I mean WAY more than I'm used to seeing from this band. I forget exactly what the theme was, but I know they opened with the Dies Irae section from Verdi's Requiem Mass.

As a side note about numbers, I'm interested to see if 270 is the actual number of performers or if it's including alternates. I think they should field around 180-200 wind players. Maybe they're going to have a massive percussion section, or they might have finally overcome the difficulties they were having in recruiting a larger guard. Either way, they have a tough area to get out of, so I know Scott has the band's best interest in mind in the design process.