2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly, I disagree with this assessment. The true, unpredictable variable, is UIL judging...especially at area. The fact that all area contests are held on the same weekend, and that most of the most "up-to-date" judges are either directing bands or assisting bands in competition, means you end up with a lot of folks who have been out of the activity for awhile trying to judge an art that had changed and progressed. I also realize that UIL rubrics make it hard for a program like Churchill, who thrives on GE, to impress judges looking at criteria that does not reward many of the efforts programs like Churchill and SFA (Sugarland)...and others attempt to put on the field.

I get what you're saying, but for the judges they aren't all old. I know at Area C they had college directors and a few high school ones as well. I will agree the judging does seem to get a little nuts at both area and state. I have never been to a BOA contest so I can't say anything about the judging yet

I get what you're saying, but for the judges they aren't all old. I know at Area C they had college directors and a few high school ones as well. I will agree the judging does seem to get a little nuts at both area and state. I have never been to a BOA contest so I can't say anything about the judging yet

Agreed...and age isn't necessarily the correct guide for suitability. But it only takes one "out-of-date" judge to completely skew a contest like UIL area or state. I realize for some this adds to the excitement, but I also think it takes away from it's credibility.

Agreed...and age isn't necessarily the correct guide for suitability. But it only takes one "out-of-date" judge to completely skew a contest like UIL area or state. I realize for some this adds to the excitement, but I also think it takes away from it's credibility.

Yeah I agree I think I said that on another topic, that it only takes one judge to change how your band places. I honestly don't have a better way to do it so I'm not going to even try, but if anyone else does I would like to hear it. I know BOA and UIL judging is different, but is one better than the other?

As for Bell staying, I think thats great instead of making 2 long trips down, hope those kids get rested for the huge week they have ahead of them

According to the itinerary, yes.
So what does the itinerary say about coming to BOA this Saturday, which lasts well after 11pm, and then having to be back to the 'Dome on Tuesday, which would be another late night?

In one way it would make 'sense' to just stay the extra days but it would certainly be expensive and they would miss school. So I guess they go back home and then come right back on Tuesday.....?

Just curious how Marcus, Bell and the others from East Texas and points North did this? ;)

And then there's Grand Nationals....

So what does the itinerary say about coming to BOA this Saturday, which lasts well after 11pm, and then having to be back to the 'Dome on Tuesday, which would be another late night?

In one way it would make 'sense' to just stay the extra days but it would certainly be expensive and they would miss school. So I guess they go back home and then come right back on Tuesday.....?

Just curious how Marcus, Bell and the others from East Texas and points North did this? ;)

I have a friend from the marcus band that graduated last year and she told me that they just stay in San Antonio from BOA until State and come home tuesday night

Keller stays in San Antonio through Tuesday and practices at local stadiums.....did the same in '08. Yes it is expensive.

According to the itinerary on their web site...

For BOA on Saturday, Bell leaves at 5:30am Sat. morning and return at 5:00am Sun. morning. The attend school on Monday. They then leave for UIL on Monday afternoon and stay the night in SA.

0:23-1:26

3:36-5:50

6:16-6:49

All those are moments in which the tempo is not that fast... or fast at all. Now regarding intensity... what exactly does intense mean? Does it mean something like that upside down triangle set in the opener where the entire band is playing, rumbling the bleachers? I don't think so, because they tried that very same trick the next year, and as everyone already knew, that was simply a product of their size the year before, so it was a little disappointing. I'm being picky right now, and obviously Cedar park had an incredibly arranged show that year, but it's a high school marching band... not Allah revealing himself.

By the way... if you're not first, you're last.

Yeah find a more intense show in the last 10 years, drum corps doesn't count. So you're saying that because cedar park used the same drill the year after...it takes away from the first year they did it. Right, well you have the most flawed logic I've ever seen. Intensity is not something I would expect an immature kid to understand. It's a lot more than just playing loud and moving fast, it's in the build, and the way you communicate with your audience. That show communicated the Entire time.

By the way.....does that make Round Rock like -20th?

Yeah find a more intense show in the last 10 years, drum corps doesn't count. So you're saying that because cedar park used the same drill the year after...it takes away from the first year they did it. Right, well you have the most flawed logic I've ever seen. Intensity is not something I would expect an immature kid to understand. It's a lot more than just playing loud and moving fast, it's in the build, and the way you communicate with your audience. That show communicated the Entire time.

By the way.....does that make Round Rock like -20th?

You would know about flawed logic, Mr. Ad Hominem. Child please.

Amen! Well said!

I find that kind of offensive. My band has been in a 4 year slump of not making finals since state 2006, and this year we did. We didn't care that there were 3 bands above us, we cared that our hard work put us in a place we wanted to be. Our director was talking about a contest in 2001. We slipped into finals with the last slot. In finals, we gave the most electric and awesome performance we had EVER had. He came running down the stands because he was so excited. No, the students don't remember that we only placed 8th, they remember that unimmaginable feeling of having the most amazing performance they ever had. That is what marching band is about. So let's rephrase that, if you have "THAT" performance, then you win.

Does anyone know who the dude who does all of the announcing for state is?

In years past, it's been the guy who is the UIL Theatre director. It is ironic because he is very monotone and brings pretty much zero drama or excitement to the announcements. It would be nice if they got someone else to do it this year, but I doubt it.

In years past, it's been the guy who is the UIL Theatre director. It is ironic because he is very monotone and brings pretty much zero drama or excitement to the announcements. It would be nice if they got someone else to do it this year, but I doubt it.

And he can't pronounce names of people or pieces either except for the Hispanic ones.

ShastAkavich...........