[Major Event] BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional - Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2008

We (Georgetown) placed 19th. We're very proud of that, seeing that it is the highest we have placed at BOA SA, only missing finals by 5 places and getting into the top 20.

Congrats to all the finalists bands. Shows I really enjoyed were Bell's, Marcus', and Haltom's ( LEAPFROG !)

I hope the group of clarinet ( i think) players, the flute player, and the sousaphone player from CP are all alright from their falls in finals. It was sad to see that happen to them.

If anyone saw me, I was I think the ONLY one on crutches in the entire Alamodome. I sprained and strained the ligaments in my right foot the day before prelims in a play performance. Luckily I play in the pit, but I still had to play my marimba ONE FOOTED. So if anyone saw Georgetown perform and saw the marimba player hobbling back and forth on one foot, that was me. :D

I got to ride on a BOA golf cart to the buses with another injured colorguard girl from Aledo, and she was very nice. I wonder if there were any other injured people out there.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (Georgetown) placed 19th. We're very proud of that, seeing that it is the highest we have placed at BOA SA, only missing finals by 5 places and getting into the top 20.

Congrats to all the finalists bands. Shows I really enjoyed were Bell's, Marcus', and Haltom's ( LEAPFROG !)

I hope the group of clarinet ( i think) players, the flute player, and the sousaphone player from CP are all alright from their falls in finals. It was sad to see that happen to them.

If anyone saw me, I was I think the ONLY one on crutches in the entire Alamodome. I sprained and strained the ligaments in my right foot the day before prelims in a play performance. Luckily I play in the pit, but I still had to play my marimba ONE FOOTED. So if anyone saw Georgetown perform and saw the marimba player hobbling back and forth on one foot, that was me. :D

I got to ride on a BOA golf cart to the buses with another injured colorguard girl from Aledo, and she was very nice. I wonder if there were any other injured people out there.

Hmm, how did you find out? Recaps haven't been posted yet.

I must say that the staff was greatly humbled by the amount of people that came up to us and told us how much they liked the site. We were very surprised to see how many people had our Live Blog dialed up on their Blackberry and iPhone devices. Even directors chimed in and gave us a pat on the back. I want to thank everyone who has supported the site, either with your internet traffic or your donations. I can't even begin to tell you all how cool it was to be at the Alamodome this weekend.

I saw that too! I nearly jumped out of my seat and the entire crowed gasped! I just waited until they got up until I sat back in my seat. That was pretty scary.

If that's the case we got 36th. Not great, but not bad considering how young we are. Better than the 53rd the prediction analysis was saying =p

Last night we were at finals. We had amazing seats to begin with. It was nose bleeders (which isn't bad for marching band) and it was RIGHT on the 50. Got to see the first three bands but we had to move because they were "reserved". Instead we got horrible seats on the goal line.

Is is just me, or does that not seem right??

Just because members take a tumble does not automatically mean that the show should be at the bottom of the order. Most judging sheets, including the one BOA uses, have criteria written in the language about recovery from a fall. If a member falls, a fraction of a point may be deducted but if the recovery is quick, the deduction might even be less. Of course, if the show is solid, a few falls aren't going to affect the total score much.

I was one of the people who fell. Thanks for thinking about us :) lol as far as I know everyone's fine. I also know that I was up again in about 6 counts...I don't really remember even thinking about being down..just needing to get back up.

Other than that, I was happy to finally see marcus and bell in person. I really wish I could have seen more of finals! And go Leander!! :D

Unfortunately I had to miss CP's show (again!!!) but my friends told me when I got back that about the falls. Actually, only about half my friends even saw the falls, proving that they weren't the most drastic things in the world. CP's show is amazingly challenging, and I'm sure they've experienced many falls before. Trust me, they know how to react.

Just because members take a tumble does not automatically mean that the show should be at the bottom of the order. Most judging sheets, including the one BOA uses, have criteria written in the language about recovery from a fall. If a member falls, a fraction of a point may be deducted but if the recovery is quick, the deduction might even be less. Of course, if the show is solid, a few falls aren't going to affect the total score much.

I don't think points are deducted for falls or "errors." BOA's adjudication system, like many others, uses a reward, or point "build-up" philosophy. In fact, Cedar Park may have been rewarded for excellence in demand and recovery MORE than their problems, which would not surprise me. You have to remember, though: it's all SUBJECTIVE. This is not to say that BOA does not penalize bands for particular circumstances...the only major one I can think of off the top of my head is timing. There are others (like use of pyrotechnics), but you would have to read the rule book.

-Alan

Recap Analysis!

Prelims Top 14 Placements:

1. L.D. Bell

2. Marcus

3. Cedar Park

4. James Bowie

5. Winston Churchill

6. Stephen F. Austin

7. Hebron

8. Berkner

9. Westlake