Area B Marching Band Contest

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you got there...

we had what was, by all accounts, probably our third-best performance ever. Not too bad, for having added in three new visuals two days before contest. But we got 25th. And can't even blame it on inconsistent judging (though by all accounts except those of the judges, we had a better prelims performance than, say, Wylie [who went right after us], but they made Finals and we got...25th).

Depressed beyond belief? Heck yes. Lashing out at the universe for just existing? Heck yes. Unable to come to grips with seemingly wasting five months of blood, sweat, and tears after holding the band together while we went through a complete change in staff? You'd better believe it. As such...I'm sorry if I offend anybody with what I've been posting over the past 24 hours.

I know exactly how you feel. Last year, we didn't even make area. We got a 2 at UIL and no one could believe it. But really, from the two times I've seen you're show, it's been really good. I was rather surprised by the low rating. I know it's not what you wanted but you should definitely know that even though you didn't make finals, I've honestly never seen Paschal as good as they have been this year. And that's a tough thing to pull off with all the director changes you've gone through. Hard as it may be, you should be extremely proud of what you've done this year.

Edited by Fata1

I was very surprised that summit did not make finals. I remember seeing your show at the football game and thinking it was pretty decent. And from what you guys have been doing in recent contests I was looking forward to wishing you guys luck at finals. But you win some and you lose some I guess...

I personally almost would rather have made 10th than 6th at finals... almost :D. Just because we were so close, but not quite there.

And, just wondering.... I'm not stating this as a fact. It is just a rumor I heard. I heard that Haltom was under investigation for breaking the 8 hour rule. I think it is kind of ridiculous myself. I really don't believe it at all and I haven't heard anyone else talking about anything related to that in any way. Just something I heard.

Hi, first off, I want to congratulate the bands that advanced to the State Marching competition. LD Bell, Marcus, Hebron, Haltom, and Richland, they all put out spectacular shows duing the finals this Saturday and they without a doubt deserved their ranks and a trip to the Alamodome.

I am a proud member of the McKinney Boyd High School Marching Band (a freshman). We were VERY disappointed about Saturday's competition, for we didn't even advance to finals..., yet we knew that we made our best attempt in prelims and put forth great effort and better yet, had fun performing :D . We (as a high school and a band) had our first year in 5A and proved to be somewhat better than expected. I try to remember that this is only our 3rd year in exsistence and that we only further improve in time, yet our disappointment is and never will be far from our minds. However, on Saturday, I got over my "I hate the world" attitude to watch some of the most impressive bands in the state of Texas! LD Bell's show "The Quest" was simply amazing and left me in awe. Marcus also had a great show with the themes of different Greek Gods and Goddesses.

I hope for anyone who happened to watch our 9:45 prelims performance did not just think of us as an average band, for there were many hours and sleepless mornings that we were dedicated to our show. I will again express my greatest congratulations to all of the bands that made it to State,the finals, the bands that did not make it to finals, and the alternates through their hard work and dedication.

Boyd%20web%20logo%20copy.jpgMcKinney Boyd High School Clarinet Player "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." Colin Powell

US general (1937 - )

Hi, first off, I want to congratulate the bands that advanced to the State Marching competition. LD Bell, Marcus, Hebron, Haltom, and Richland, they all put out spectacular shows duing the finals this Saturday and they without a doubt deserved their ranks and a trip to the Alamodome.

I am a proud member of the McKinney Boyd High School Marching Band (a freshman). We were VERY disappointed about Saturday's competition, for we didn't even advance to finals..., yet we knew that we made our best attempt in prelims and put forth great effort and better yet, had fun performing :D . We (as a high school and a band) had our first year in 5A and proved to be somewhat better than expected. I try to remember that this is only our 3rd year in exsistence and that we only further improve in time, yet our disappointment is and never will be far from our minds. However, on Saturday, I got over my "I hate the world" attitude to watch some of the most impressive bands in the state of Texas! LD Bell's show "The Quest" was simply amazing and left me in awe. Marcus also had a great show with the themes of different Greek Gods and Goddesses.

I hope for anyone who happened to watch our 9:45 prelims performance did not just think of us as an average band, for there were many hours and sleepless mornings that we were dedicated to our show. I will again express my greatest congratulations to all of the bands that made it to State,the finals, the bands that did not make it to finals, and the alternates through their hard work and dedication.

Boyd%20web%20logo%20copy.jpgMcKinney Boyd High School Clarinet Player "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." Colin Powell

US general (1937 - )

Very Classy Post! I would like to thank you, I wish you all the greatest sucess in your future endevours~

I was very surprised that summit did not make finals. I remember seeing your show at the football game and thinking it was pretty decent. And from what you guys have been doing in recent contests I was looking forward to wishing you guys luck at finals. But you win some and you lose some I guess...

I personally almost would rather have made 10th than 6th at finals... almost :D. Just because we were so close, but not quite there.

And, just wondering.... I'm not stating this as a fact. It is just a rumor I heard. I heard that Haltom was under investigation for breaking the 8 hour rule. I think it is kind of ridiculous myself. I really don't believe it at all and I haven't heard anyone else talking about anything related to that in any way. Just something I heard.

i highly doubt that happened... it's probably just some idiot in band that is overly desperate and trying to make things better than they already are. Why can't people be happy with sixth??? I'm ecstatic!

And thank you for backing it up with plausible information. But hey, it's just a rumor, right?

i highly doubt that happened... it's probably just some idiot in band that is overly desperate and trying to make things better than they already are. Why can't people be happy with sixth??? I'm ecstatic!

That's what I'm thinking as well.

And thank you for backing it up with plausible information. But hey, it's just a rumor, right?

Yeah. I figured I'd cover my own butt before putting that forward. Knowing what some people deduce from things...

Very Classy Post! I would like to thank you, I wish you all the greatest sucess in your future endevours~

I TRULY Meant every word!!

I can see you are from the Hebron Band :D I totally loved your show "Watched!" It was different from anything I have ever seen... you will STUN the judges at State competition! You for sure have more than luck on your side, but great skill and a great band!!! =)

Boyd%20web%20logo%20copy.jpgMcKinney Boyd High School Clarinet Player

Yeah. I figured I'd cover my own butt before putting that forward. Knowing what some people deduce from things...

Haha, all good. All I'm saying is that accusing someone of breaking The Cardinal Rule in UIL is some serious stuff. You'd have to have some pretty conclusive evidence in order to bring it to the attention of the University Interscholastic League. This reminds me of the days when big time programs used to kick "spies" out of their parking lots. Yes, programs would send a student or a band parent to a rival program's rehearsal to make sure they adhered to the eight hour maximum.

I cannot believe Summit did not make finals! I had them at third in my results!

yeah.. alot of my friends were very unhappy with their placement.

yeah we were really really surprised on our ranking.

But i was stoked mansfield got 6th!!! So it wasn't as big of a deal :]

props to them

Edited by treyj

US general (1937 - )

i'm not in 5A so i don't know but from what i've heard u're like in the same boat as us(Frisco Wakeland), we're both young up and coming bands that has so much more to offer, we are both just beginning to blossom and i'm sure in a few years both of our schools will be competing at a high level. congratulations to ur band and i hope u enjoy the next 3 years of hs marching band career

I TRULY Meant every word!!

I can see you are from the Hebron Band :D I totally loved your show "Watched!" It was different from anything I have ever seen... you will STUN the judges at State competition! You for sure have more than luck on your side, but great skill and a great band!!! =)

Boyd%20web%20logo%20copy.jpgMcKinney Boyd High School Clarinet Player

Thanks so much! We hope the judges say the same thing

I'm sure you know that Haltom is not a program that would cheat. I'm sure you also know that our director for the past 8 years left this summer to be asst director at Bell. I'm very excited for the kids in our band (ESP the seniors) to have been able to advance to state with all the chaos that changing directors can cause. Go Buffs!

It kinda made me mad that Bell didnt even bother to show up to the finals annoucements

The band was taken back to the school to allow them to change out of their uniforms and go back to the stadium.

Just because you did not see them as a group, in uniform, does not mean they were not there.

i'm not in 5A so i don't know but from what i've heard u're like in the same boat as us(Frisco Wakeland), we're both young up and coming bands that has so much more to offer, we are both just beginning to blossom and i'm sure in a few years both of our schools will be competing at a high level. congratulations to ur band and i hope u enjoy the next 3 years of hs marching band career

Hey, I'm sorry... I have never heard of Frisco Wakeland {well, maybe I'm still not high school marching band savvy yet=) } When was ur high school established... r u in 4A just out of curiousity?

Thanks for replying... I'm still letting the no more marching competitions bit of this year sink in...