Area B Marching Band Contest

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our director told us that if we wanna advance, we have to aim for top 4 places... Maybe he just told us that to motivate us?

I would bet it will be 5.

But who knows for sure?

last year when we found out Southwest didn't make it to Area, we all tried our hardest to shoot for top 3, so I know the feeling.

It is at Pennington Field. I agree with some of your predictions although I was very surprised that colleyville heritage did not make finals at BOA Arlington...

the reason colleyville heritage didnt make it to finals was because they didnt have much of there show on the field. im pretty sure they knew they wernt going to make it for that reason.

Well, you have the typical 5.

Then out of nowhere I would've never thought two years ago that Colleyville Heritage, Mansfield, and Wylie would make such good runs last year and this year. Then you have Allen and Creekview. The more I look at it, the more I realize this competition isn't as stacked as I thought.

I see it more as a top tier, a middle tier, and a bottom tier, each in their own separate packs.

Then out of nowhere I would've never thought two years ago that Colleyville Heritage, Mansfield, and Wylie would make such good runs last year and this year. Then you have Allen and Creekview. The more I look at it, the more I realize this competition isn't as stacked as I thought.

I see it more as a top tier, a middle tier, and a bottom tier, each in their own separate packs.

You're forgetting about Plano East who tends to fly under the radar until area time. I see them as a potential spoiler to the presumed five.

Don't fly past Flower Mound with your extremely generic statements.

Their honor band was 7th in the state a few months ago. They sound terrific on the field.

Don't fly past Flower Mound with your extremely generic statements.

Their honor band was 7th in the state a few months ago. They sound terrific on the field.

Don't fly past anyone, lol. Anything can happen on any given day. And i'm sure every band has been working just as hard towards the same goal. It's all about how you perform SATURDAY. Previous awards and contest do not matter one bit.

"Don't fly past Flower Mound with your extremely generic statements.

Their honor band was 7th in the state a few months ago. They sound terrific on the field."

Just because a group can sit and play well together doesn't mean that translates the same way on the marching field. Sitting and playing and marching and playing are different ends of the spectrum. Not to mention music is not the only criteria they judge in UIL. There are many other factors that come into play.

Edited by jbroomas

"Don't fly past Flower Mound with your extremely generic statements.

Their honor band was 7th in the state a few months ago. They sound terrific on the field."

Just because a group can sit and play well together doesn't mean that translates the same way on the marching field. Sitting and playing and marching and playing are different ends of the spectrum. Not to mention music is not the only criteria they judge in UIL. There are many other factors that come into play.

I could not have said it better myself. Yes, Plano East is good and yes, people overlook them, but judging from their UIL tape a couple of days ago, they need to fix their marching phrasing problems and sustaining their notes. That's why I didn't put them into finals, and if you notice Conner, I did put Flower Mound in the finals on the predictions, the statement I made was just an analysis, not what I think what was going to happen. There is a difference.

I could not have said it better myself. Yes, Plano East is good and yes, people overlook them, but judging from their UIL tape a couple of days ago, they need to fix their marching phrasing problems and sustaining their notes. That's why I didn't put them into finals, and if you notice Conner, I did put Flower Mound in the finals on the predictions, the statement I made was just an analysis, not what I think what was going to happen. There is a difference.

Wow, Marco, I have to say that hearing this come from you of all people I was surprised. I know you know your stuff, but I'm sorry but you are most definitely mistaken. Flower Mound was 4th in the state honor band results.

I think that almost all band directors would agree that great concert bands do translate into good sounds on the marching field. At a high school, having a good top band is the foundation for a program that is respected in all aspects. Just look at the top honor bands in the state this past summer:

1. Duncanville

2. Marcus

3. Coppell

4. Flower Mound

Flower Mound is up there with the gods of UIL marching band. Not to mention Langham Creek, who won state honor band in 2006, and they do very well at UIL marching band competitions. So, after all of this, I think it is clear that honor band success DOES indeed translate to sounding great on the field.

And jbroomas, yes, they don't only judge music at UIL marching, but there are more music judges than marching judges and music is DEFINITELY a priority for UIL judging. They care about music more than anything else visually on the field.