Area B Marching Band Contest

And jbroomas, yes, they don't only judge music at UIL marching, but there are more music judges than marching judges and music is DEFINITELY a priority for UIL judging. They care about music more than anything else visually on the field.

3 music and 2 visual correct?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Marco, I have to say that hearing this come from you of all people I was surprised. I know you know your stuff, but I'm sorry but you are most definitely mistaken. Flower Mound was 4th in the state honor band results.

I think that almost all band directors would agree that great concert bands do translate into good sounds on the marching field.

I never said anything about Flower Mound and their inability to play music. I was just in agreement that sometimes one bad score by one judge may put them out of the state race, that was all. I do, however, recognized Flower Mound for having such a strong program. In no way, shape, or form did I say that they aren't that good, or doubted their marching abilities. I was just simply stating the inconsistencies placed by those UIL judges and it may hurt anyone, including your 4th place Honor Band contest Flower Mound.

Marco is right here. Flower Mound has always had an incredibly good concert band, but their marching results have never really reflected their excellent concert band. As others have said, music is only one aspect of marching band.

Agreed...

If Honor Band status was a strong indicator of marching success this year, than any band outside of DFW should stay home- 1)Duncanville, 2)Marcus, 3)Coppell, 4)Flower Mound, 5)Rowlett, 6)Haltom, 7)Richland. Plus, L D Bell has not been an Honor Band finalist (they may just not submit tapes) in 20 years, and that hasn't slowed their marching program down.

It is pretty impressive how 5 of the top 7 honor bands, and possibly 3-5 or the top 10 state bands could come from this area.

yah, that's true... sometimes things just happen to bands that place really well at Honor Band...

Ex: Southwest last year. 3rd in 4A honor band, but didn't qualify for even Area. I must admit, I was disappointed, because they seemed like some very very strong competition (not saying that what we went up against last year wasn't, because obviously it was. Lol, Aledo and Sherman both placed at the TSMC).

I still think that a vast majority of the time that concert band success translates into success on the field in UIL.

One cannot argue that bands who do well in the state honor band results are almost always at the top in marching band music as well.

This discussion is really going to make me root for Flower Mound tomorrow. :)

I still think that a vast majority of the time that concert band success translates into success on the field in UIL.

One cannot argue that bands who do well in the state honor band results are almost always at the top in marching band music as well.

This discussion is really going to make me root for Flower Mound tomorrow. :)

I think what everyone is arguing is just because you can play doesn't mean you will march well. They are a lot better this year but I don't know if it will be enough, the area is so tough!

GOOD LUCK to Everyone Tomorrow!

Edited by Clarinet_Lover41

I could not have said it better myself. Yes, Plano East is good and yes, people overlook them, but judging from their UIL tape a couple of days ago, they need to fix their marching phrasing problems and sustaining their notes. That's why I didn't put them into finals

Well they are a longshot for a state slot, but I would consider it an upset if Plano East didn't at least make finals. As far as who is advancing, I'm only sure of Marcus, Bell, and Hebron at this point. Richland and Haltom are both looking iffy to me. If things get really, really weird tomorrow I could even see Allen advancing. I bet at least someone will have them in the top 5.

If things get really, really weird tomorrow I could even see Allen advancing. I bet at least someone will have them in the top 5.

I really enjoy being at a live performance by Allen, but I don't think they are competitive enough outside of sheer volume to advance, even under really screwy circumstances. But they sure do have a ton of fun and translate it well to the audience.

I really enjoy being at a live performance by Allen, but I don't think they are competitive enough outside of sheer volume to advance, even under really screwy circumstances. But they sure do have a ton of fun and translate it well to the audience.

You're probably right. I was just at too many marching contests in high school where Allen placed A LOT higher than I thought they were going to (including Area C marching contest where they were an alternate twice in a row.)

We had an awful run at the football game tonight...but better tonight than tomorrow afternoon, true?

Also, our new quads finally got in...this morning. Hallelujah.

I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm for what's effectively my last real contest (unless a miracle happens) in check...it's not working as well as I'd hoped.

Good luck to everybody tomorrow!

in my opinion, the locks are Hebron, L.D. Bell, and Marcus, and the last two spots are up for grabs by about 6-8 other bands... man this is a bloodbath... but anything can happen, so good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!

definitely agreed.

except for hebron I would swap it for richland I think, Ive been hearing phenomenal things about them... but Ihavent seen them yet so I dont know.

but you are definitely right, it is going to be a hardcore throwdown....i definitely see this as being one of those

'tenth of a point' type contests

No one has really seen our (Haltom) show except forCarrollton TOC (3rd). Talk about flying under the radar. If we perform today like we did at Region on Tues Haltom is a serious top 5 STATE contender. Good luck to all!

(poster is a parent-Band Nurse-Senior & Freshman students-with a seventh grader on the way!)

I watched LD Bell and Marcus today at area B prelims. They are both excellent. Very clear and obvious that they are in a totally different league than the rest of the bands.

I see LD Bell stepping it up a notch in finals tonight as they normally do and considering they went so early today. In my opinion, I put Bell ahead of Marcus.

Marcus' trumpets are not as good as they were last year - disappointment. In the beginning of their show - it was VERY obvious to me that they had some tone quality issues. But for the most part, I think the rest of the band is somewhat close, especially woodwinds. Very colorful show.

One thing I do have to mention is that a parent from Boyd HS was speaking very loudly saying that LD Bell was playing and marching while the announcer was announcing them. She wanted to know what was up with that. I guess she felt that they should be disqualified. It was quite entertaining.

It is going to be a great remainder of a season.