Area B Marching Band Contest

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as i know... never. QQ

i wish we weren't in the powerhouse area. I remember freshman year when Mansfield was in the Duncanville/Coppell region... That one was SO much easier... Ah the good old days.

yes, but then it wouldnt be worth it as much

it would mean so much more to say that we did better than some of the top 5 bands in the state, and the state year before, we didnt even make it into area finals, then to say we made it to state through an easy area contest

i wish we weren't in the powerhouse area. I remember freshman year when Mansfield was in the Duncanville/Coppell region... That one was SO much easier... Ah the good old days.

I don't think you can say Area C is "so much easier". With far fewer bands advancing to that area it makes moving on to state that much more difficult. Only 3 bands advanced this year and there were at least 5 bands there that would probably advance in many other areas. And in 2006 Area C advanced 4 bands with 3 making state finals. Compare that to Area B which advanced 5 bands but only 2 made finals. Not saying Area B is not one of the strongest in the state, it probably is. But Area C is no cake walk for anybody.

Being in one of the top 5 bands to go to state is amazing. i am in hebron and i am a freshie...for me it was unbelieveable. i gave it my best and we made it to state we all worked hard to make it so far. Being in finals for area was a bloody battle. even though i got a cut in my finger for props but i still worked to give it all i had and the present was going to state. i am happy for all the band who worked hard to make it to are!!:D

hope everyone come to alamodome to see the awesome bands who delivers great show!!:D

see u in the alamodome!!;D

good luck to all who is going to state!!!

I don't think you can say Area C is "so much easier". With far fewer bands advancing to that area it makes moving on to state that much more difficult. Only 3 bands advanced this year and there were at least 5 bands there that would probably advance in many other areas. And in 2006 Area C advanced 4 bands with 3 making state finals. Compare that to Area B which advanced 5 bands but only 2 made finals. Not saying Area B is not one of the strongest in the state, it probably is. But Area C is no cake walk for anybody.

yeah true. i was talking on more of the concert standpoint. i made region my freshman year at 7th chair, then we went to region 5 and i got 12th because the competition was so much fiercer. Area C is no joke i didn't mean it in that sense.

For clarification, the below is about Prelims results, not Finals.

Because it didn't affect who was moving on they didn't apply the tie-breakers and special rules.

But if they had been applied, Marcus would have been 1st in Prelims due to having two 1st place Music votes and a 1st place Marching vote.

Two years ago in Area A the alternate advanced because one of the formerly advancing bands had an ineligible student.

those scores total 10 for bell and 11 for marcus. There was no tie to break

UIL rules that if a band receives at least two first place ranks for music and one first place rank for marching then, regardless of other rankings, that band is first. So, under that situation, Marcus would have overtaken Bell in prelims.

On that note, does anyone have the rankings for finals?

UIL rules that if a band receives at least two first place ranks for music and one first place rank for marching then, regardless of other rankings, that band is first. So, under that situation, Marcus would have overtaken Bell in prelims.

The rule only applies to naming the state champion, for determining advancement from area to state, or advancement to area finals. It does not apply to determining the rankings at the area contest.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/scoring_procedure.html

The rule only applies to naming the state champion, for determining advancement from area to state, or advancement to area finals. It does not apply to determining the rankings at the area contest.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/scoring_procedure.html

Nobody is denying that, but it is always interesting to note when the rule would change things had it been applied.

Because it didn't affect who was moving on they didn't apply the tie-breakers and special rules.

But if they had been applied, Marcus would have been 1st in Prelims due to having two 1st place Music votes and a 1st place Marching vote.

My take is that all scoring rules should be ALWAYS applied no matter if they would make an advancement/championship difference or not.

With that thought in mind, to me Marcus was truly the winner of Prelims, not Bell, no matter how UIL sees it. But none of this changes the fact that Bell was the clear winner of Finals.

that is interesting... i'm curious to that as well.

Btw.

You guys are going to have a FIERCE winterguard this year.

And question.

Bell won visual in Finals and Marcus won music, correct?

It seemed to me some of the bands had off performances last night.. but that could just be me.

Sorry for obsessing like this (and completely changing the topic of discussion, seemingly)...

But was anyone on here there to see Paschal's performance? If so...any commentary? I felt it was one of our better runs (but two...maybe three things prevented it from being our best)...just curious to see if anyone else had any assessment.

Yes, I did...but we left after Richland.

I actually built myself a simulated UIL judging panel: me, my best friend, and little sister each judging music, and my dad and our color guard captain judging marching.

When we left, of the seven we saw (we got there too late for Allen) we had it like so:

Bell

Marcus

Hebron

Richland

Mansfield

Plano East

Wylie

Nice to know that at least we seem to know what we're talking about when we rank schools.

I loved Mansfield's performance. Some great guard work (and really loud parents...that's always cool). And, just in general, I love Bernstein...especially "On the Waterfront." Kudos to y'all.

thnx,

it kinda hurts getting 6th <_< but we tried our best. wee'l be back witha chip on our shoulder next time

Two years ago, it was Summit knocking on their heels. This year, a different Mansfield school took the slot. I'd wager (about $0.02) that in two years, it'll be Legacy doing the same thing.

Mansfield got alot from the croud!!! we'll see what happens next time... ;)

thnx,

it kinda hurts getting 6th <_< but we tried our best. wee'l be back witha chip on our shoulder next time

At least you got there...

we had what was, by all accounts, probably our third-best performance ever. Not too bad, for having added in three new visuals two days before contest. But we got 25th. And can't even blame it on inconsistent judging (though by all accounts except those of the judges, we had a better prelims performance than, say, Wylie [who went right after us], but they made Finals and we got...25th).

Depressed beyond belief? Heck yes. Lashing out at the universe for just existing? Heck yes. Unable to come to grips with seemingly wasting five months of blood, sweat, and tears after holding the band together while we went through a complete change in staff? You'd better believe it. As such...I'm sorry if I offend anybody with what I've been posting over the past 24 hours.

At least you got there...

Depressed beyond belief? Heck yes. Lashing out at the universe for just existing? Heck yes. Unable to come to grips with seemingly wasting five months of blood, sweat, and tears after holding the band together while we went through a complete change in staff? You'd better believe it. As such...I'm sorry if I offend anybody with what I've been posting over the past 24 hours.

It's common to be depressed if your not then you didn't care about what you were pouring your heart into. But don't call it a waste of time. Can you honestly say you didn't get a good experience from it? Heck we went to area saturday fully expecting to be in finals contending for a top 5 spot. Even after our prelims performance we were sure we secured a spot. Well we ended up getting 22nd down from getting 6th two years earlier. After our band was cut in half with the opening of Legacy. Was I upset and depressed? Heck yeah, but take it as it is. This has been my best year in band ever I've gained so many experiences and we've overcome so many obstacles and proven people wrong.. And we still have a contest left to do just that. so cherish the experience!!

"A failu​re is a man who has blundered and is not capab​le of cashi​ng in on the exper​ience​.​"

-hubbard

Did anyone at this contest do their own rankings or placements?

I'm curious to see how different they are. I saw someone doing that in the stands, and from what I saw they had some interesting rankings.

:D

Mine were almost dead on.

I had:

Bell.

Marcus.

Richland.

Hebron.

And after finals I had Mansfield beating Haltom for the 5th spot.

It was very hard to rank because a lot of the bands seemed to have somewhat off performances, whether it be in one main area or overall.