BOA Arlington

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the lack of confidence is due to their history of not being a good early season performer. I don't think Hebron even made finals last year at Arlington.....but they still made finals in San Antonio against WAY harder competition.

But personally, out of all the bands attending this Regional, the only school I believe has a solid chance of dethroning Marcus is Cedar Park. Now mind you I'm not saying they're a guaranteed runner-up even if they don't do this. Cedar Park just has been a really unstable school the past couple years with the new school openings, rezoning and staff changes and such. It was just a few years ago that many people were expecting Cedar Park to become the next L.D. Bell/Reagan/Churchill/Westfield (a year or 2 before Marcus started owning, and Cedar Park had just won a silver medal in the 5A State Marching Band contest: 2004/2005-ish).

Now I hope the 'Park kids don't let this little bit of praise go their heads. I wrote a little schpiel in this post just about my experience with Cedar Park kids and their...."cockiness" in the past, but deleted it figuring it was a little too assuming about CP's program today (which I imagine is a lot better since they haven't won anything major like that in awhile).

From txblive:

Mansfield

Coppell

Berkner

Connally

Hebron

Marcus

Cedar Park

Aledo

Martin

Legacy

3A:

1st: Marcus

2nd: Cedar Park

3rd: Hebron

2A:

1st: Aledo

2nd: Mabank

1A

1st: Winnsboro

Wow, some surprise finalists. Always good to see that. and WOOT! Hebron up at third! Alma mater ftw!

Edited by itsstephenyo

Definitely surprises....the Arlington thread spawned quite a large list of schools that had a shot at those remaining finalist spots, and yet 2 dark horses still snuck in: Mansfield-Legacy and Aledo. And where did Colleyville go? I had them in the top 5 in the pre-competition predictions.

Now I hope the 'Park kids don't let this little bit of praise go their heads. I wrote a little schpiel in this post just about my experience with Cedar Park kids and their...."cockiness" in the past, but deleted it figuring it was a little too assuming about CP's program today (which I imagine is a lot better since they haven't won anything major like that in awhile).

It really has changed. The leadership team has tried to stop that early with the freshman and soph. and it seems to have worked. As far as not winning, yeah porb the most bitter and effective medicine for cockiness.

props to all the bands last night, that was a very solid regional.

i havent noticed finals results so ill post em

1. 82.55 Marcus

2. 81.75 Cedar Park

3. 79.90 Hebron

4. 76.75 Berkner

5. 73.65 Mansfield

6. 73.25 Coppell

7. 72.65 Connally

8. 70.20 Legacy

9. 67.90 Martin

10. 67.85 Aledo

Very excited to see such a slim margin between Marcus and CP and well as the slightly larger margin for third. This is Deff. something we will be building off of.

Yet again congratz everyone!

Even though there is a friendly rivalry between us, that even gets not so friendly at times, all of us would have to admit that your show was amazing.

Really? i havent noticed it being too big an issue (but lets not bother with that).

I was standing up clapping really hard for you guys.

haha thanks. Finals felt amazing, easily the best performance CP's put on in a very long time. I think they threatened to deduct points 3 times for being too loud when we were celebrating.

BTW i've been wanting to see your show (I didnt really get to see it at lisd band night) when are you guy's rehersals, i wanna try and come out some time to see.

man last night was amazing I was happy we made finals we all thought our finals show was the best we've ever marched it. I was happy with our placement. I really enjoyed the CP show and Hebron shows. I missed marcus both time a little dissapointed but oh well. Congrats to everybody that made finals and good job to all the participants.

I'm gonna take a guess at your "finalists" (in no particular order)

Possible Lock Finalists: 6

1)Marcus

2)Hebron

3)Coppell

4)Leander

5)Berkner

6)Cedar Park

Possible "Maybe" Finalists: 7

1)Aledo

2)Martin

3)Connally

4)Newman Smith

5)Mansfield

6)Georgetown

7)Colleyville

That was a lot harder than i expected...

i like how no one even suspected a second year high school with the majority of our band being freshman making BOA FINALS!! and we beat colleyville. Legacy is making a Stand! :D

lol, I'll take a stab, I love this stuff :) .

Danpod's 6 "Locks":

1. Marcus (Possibly the greatest marching band in the nation right now, he11 will freeze over if they don't win this competition)

2. Berkner (rising star band with the great Frank Troyka at the helm)

4. Colleyville Heritage (great early season band and San Antonio finalist)

5. Cedar Park (4A UIL state champion, 5A UIL silver medalist, consistent BOA regional finalist)

6. Hebron (a bit unpredictable probably due to their heavily design-based shows, but any band that can cruise at 190bpm through an entire movement of their show and still sound great is pretty much unstoppable)

Danpod's 7 "Maybees":

1. Coppell

2. Leander

3. Georgetown

4. Lewisville

5. Mansfield

6. Newman Smith

7. Connally

I say these schools because these are the 13 schools I personally see in highest competition for the 10 finals spots. I foresee Marcus winning by a good solid margin with the following 5 succeeding in an unforeseeable order....these 6 bands will form a bubble that I highly doubt any of the "Maybe" bands will be able to break (20% probability). The other 7 I predict will fill every position from 7-13 with about a 30-40% chance of a breakin (if there is a break-in it will be from either Fossil Ridge or Martin). As for ranking the remaining 7 it's tough due to them all having track records that reflect very similar strength levels; I mean here's a breakdown of said records:

1. Coppell (17th @ BOA San Antonio 2k7, 7th 5A State Marching 2k6)--is most likely to lead these bands and has the most potential to break the "top 6 bubble" though still not likely.)

2. Leander (19th @ BOA SA 2k7, 6th @ 5A UIL Area D finals 2k6)

3. Georgetown (25th @ BOA SA 2k7, 4th @ 5A UIL Area D prelims 2k6--8th in finals)

4. Lewisville (29th @ BOA SA 2k7, Missed finals by 1 @ 5A Area B prelims 2k6)

5. Mansfield (12th @ BOA Arlington 2k7--1 place behind Hebron, 18th @ 5A UIL Area B prelims....I'm guessing Mansfield is a "BOA" band)

6. Newman Smith (13th @ BOA Arlington 2k7, 10th @ 5A UIL Area B finals)

7. Pflugerville Connally (4A UIL State finalist 2k7, 26th @ BOA Grand Nationals 2k6, 13th @ BOA Arlington 2k6)

btw....can we expect a podcast soon? (I imagine you're waiting for the Houston schedule)

you expectations were close but a little off.. Leagcy beat out Colleyville into finals. and we are only a 2 year band... underestimation of the underdog. but it feels great competing with older schools, considering one of those schools(mansfield) i used to go to... you will be expecting great things from us.

you expectations were close but a little off.. Leagcy beat out Colleyville into finals. and we are only a 2 year band... underestimation of the underdog. but it feels great competing with older schools, considering one of those schools(mansfield) i used to go to... you will be expecting great things from us.

haha yall arent a normal 2 year band though

your almost all composed of summit and mansfield students which both have great band programs ;P

i like how no one even suspected a second year high school with the majority of our band being freshman making BOA FINALS!! and we beat colleyville. Legacy is making a Stand! :D

Thanks for having zero class. It's a good thing I know a few people in your program that aren't anything like you. Otherwise, I'd blast you even more for being another immature kid who can't handle success with grace.

BOA Arlington Regionals was a unique experience for me. It turned out to be more fun than I expected. Great experience that I have never had before. Especially standing out on the field with the other drum majors listening to who made finals. I can tell you that Legacy was tense the whole time. My jaw dropped down wide when we were called. Good day. Congratulations to all the bands there! I loved all of the shows I saw. And good luck to all in the future. :-).

Thanks for having zero class. It's a good thing I know a few people in your program that aren't anything like you. Otherwise, I'd blast you even more for being another immature kid who can't handle success with grace.

Thanks for not judging us by the ignorance of one member. As a new school, that is the last thing we need. And congradulations to everyone that made finals. It was an amazing experience! :)